The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well now, that’s a shame. I thought he had promise.
I don’t agree with Wolf that having something posted elsewhere first is a problem. And some Cellarites have objected to clicking links. I know if I were at work I’d be real skeptical about links for fear of hitting a site my employer thought was naughty.
He was trolling for reactions to his stories for sure, but then only a fool would go for that bait unless they were strongly offended and were willing to make a stand on the issue. Casual comments need not apply.
I think UT did the right thing because sooner on later there was going to be trouble, in that the gentleman apparently uses the massive nuclear strike method of fending off criticism.
Garnet, I heard he tortures small fuzzy mammals just for fun.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #32
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I'm convinced gay bars are nothing more than normal bars with a cleaner atmosphere and have a slightly higher percentage of homosexuals.
no, kitsune, this was a real gay bar. there were only a couple of straight guys there, as we were, every sunday night for the drag show. it was one of only 2 (decent) bars open in the area on sunday nights and we worked at the other one so this was our ritual. many of our coworkers were gay so they were always there.

although i didn't partake, this gay bar fulfilled every stereotype imaginable. the first night i walked in one guy snickered while his buddy wagered he'd bed me in less than a week. (he was wrong). drugs flowed freely. drinks were tall, strong, and cheap. as the night went on queens began appearing on stage in less than full apparel. they had the best disco in town and lots of hot (real) females.

all in all it was a wonderful place to spend sunday nights for a few years of my life.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #33
lookout123
changed his status to single

i didn't think he was that big of a deal. i only found it annoying that all he did was post the stories. he didn't converse or make any gesture to join the community.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #34
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

from the other spam thread:

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I had a problem with it because the Cellar is a community of people. If someone just somes along and posts a story that he also posts anywhere else, he's not really contributing to the community. He's (as wolf pointed out correctly) spamming the board.

Had he taken the time to get to know the community, he would have known how these posts would have been recieved. But he didn't take the time or effort, which again, comes off as simply spamming rather than being a part of the community.

We are cliquish, in the sense that we are a community of "intimate strangers". On the other hand, it's not hard to become part of the "clique". I don't think he wanted to be "part of the community", I think he wanted to post his stuff anywhere and everywhere, and we're not down with spam.
The fact he didn't just move on after he was banned and came back to insult just speaks to how much of a problem he would have been had he stayed.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 12-29-2004 at 06:23 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #35
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
He probably didn't want to "become a part of this community" because a select group of people attacked him after ONE post. How can you possibly know what he's thinking or what his intentions are?
Someone posts a story their first post. He doesn't show any indication that he lurked for five minutes to get the lay of the land. He doesn't introduce himself. He doesn't indicate whether or not he wrote it. He doesn't indicate whether its fiction or true. He doesn't indicate if he is the main character. He doesn't indicate whether or not he wants feedback. And it is immediately demonstrated that he has done the exact same thing on a number of other boards.

My reaction to all that was less than receptive.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #36
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
So that's what insufferably annoying is.

Thank you, UT.
(makes note for future reference)
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:35 PM   #37
Nightsong
Wang Dude

Speakin in general though, I have met some wonderful people in so called gay bars. I personally find omnisexuality liberating. Doubles my chances of somebody buyng me a drink(harhar)
Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #38
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Someone posts a story their first post. He doesn't show any indication that he lurked for five minutes to get the lay of the land. He doesn't introduce himself. He doesn't indicate whether or not he wrote it. He doesn't indicate whether its fiction or true. He doesn't indicate if he is the main character. He doesn't indicate whether or not he wants feedback. And it is immediately demonstrated that he has done the exact same thing on a number of other boards.
Once again, WHO CARES? Are you the Cellar Police? Look, I had no fondness for the guy or his writing whatsoever, but I just don't get why everyone immediately flipped out about this whole thing. He didn't introduce himself--so what? He doesn't give us the background behind his stories--again, so what?

Maybe the guy would have been a "problem," maybe not. Nobody here is psychic, are they? UT can do what he wants--it's his board, he works hard for it, and I respect that. But to me (and this is only my humble opinion) it appears he got axed for insulting wolf. At least the timing certainly makes it look that way--he insults wolf at 1:16 am, and six minutes later he is banned.

And I probably better shut up before I have to start posting as "BannedGarnet."

Last edited by garnet; 12-29-2004 at 09:46 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #39
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not so much the mere insulting, but the going through her links in order to find a picture of her, uploading it, finding that it was too large, resizing it and posting it with childish personal insults.

And upon learning that it was unacceptable behavior, doing it again immediately.

(After posting one story about how stupid it was to judge people I might add)

You gonna do that? You'll get banned. Otherwise probably not.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #40
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Not so much the mere insulting, but the going through her links in order to find a picture of, uploading it, finding that it was too large, resizing it and posting it with childish personal insults
Links and pictures that SHE attached to her Cellar profile. If you or anyone else doesn't want people using these links, perhaps they shouldn't be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
And upon learning that it was unacceptable behavior, doing it again immediately.
His second post of the picture and related insult has nothing to do with him getting banned. You banned him after the FIRST picture was posted.

And "childish personal insults" aren't allowed here? Gosh, there sure are lots of 'em even though they're not allowed.... MickGinny getting banned just makes it look like certain people are being protected from those insults.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:09 PM   #41
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't care where the images are linked. When someone looks for ways to cause specific trouble by investigating users, looking for things they can use against them, it's a massive red flag. That is something I have to police very hard. It's for our protection and I would protect you in that way too... even if you don't think it's a problem.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:39 PM   #42
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

One of the reasons I've cut down on my visits here is because of the seemingly senseless bashing of "new" people.

Obviously my opinion means about as much as a stack of shitcakes, but I've got mixed feelings on whether he should have been banned.

He's a twat, for sure, and he did dig around for a picture of wolf with which to insult her, but people have said a helluva lot worse around here.

And a lot of us are huge twats.

Did he get a few chances, or was that it? It seemed to be a ban as soon as he posted the "offending" image. I'm assuming UT has tons of experience with jagoffs and can smell them a mile away, but...I don't know. Seemed like an itchy trigger finger.

I'm trying to deduce whether or not I loathe garnet, because she's making a lot of good points in this thread ;-)

I hate when I can't remember who I hate.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
And I probably better shut up before I have to start posting as "BannedGarnet."
You're not getting out that easily.

Quote:
One of the reasons I've cut down on my visits here is because of the seemingly senseless bashing of "new" people.
I think you make a good point. Some people are very quick to be unnecessarily hard on newbies.

Quote:
But to me (and this is only my humble opinion) it appears he got axed for insulting wolf.
Of course....she has the key to the happy meds.

Quote:
I'm trying to deduce whether or not I loathe garnet, because she's making a lot of good points in this thread ;-)
No, no, you dummy. It's me you loathe...try to keep that straight, will ya.

Bottom line....it's UT's call...he saw the post and did what he thought was best for the board. I trust his judgement.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #44
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Give some people enough rope, and they'll hang themselves nicely.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 02:20 AM   #45
wolf
lobber of scimitars

UT, as much as he downplays it because he is a gracious man, is the boss.

I believe that he knows what he is doing, and I have, in this instance, benefitted from it. Thanks again, UT for defending my honor, not once, but twice.

I'm fairly thick-skinned. You have to be, to work with nuts and junkies and not be a basket case at the end of the night. Actually, American High Schools train you well for that aspect of the job. On those rare occasions where stuff does hit home, and I take it personally, it tends to be briefly experienced. Get over it and move on.

Some folks fit in seamlessly, some folks don't. Some folks benefit the board by not fitting in seamlessly.

The writings Mick posted were not bad. The first one had some gentle touches of humor and was fun to read. The second was great descriptive narrative. If that's typical of the quality of what Mick might have contributed, he would have been one of the regulars in no time, if that's what he wanted. That's actually what I had initially expected to happen ... my first response to the Devil's here to fix something was very positive. And it hadn't occurred to me that we were getting reposted. Someone else caught that. I didn't even go checking on anything he wrote. I was doing research on something else, ended up on a board site, and while reading posts there, found Mick's handle ... and out of curiosity checked the post titles. That's when I found the Gay Bar story.

I participate in a fair number of boards. The Cellar is the best and longest lived of them all. UT's care and nuturing play no small part in that. The Cellar represents the same sort of free-for-all that they all do, but there's an intellectual edge to it that makes it better, more interesting, and more fun.

Anybody can come out and play here. Playing nice isn't even strictly part of it all. Playing reasonably is.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote