The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
lookout123
changed his status to single

Fresh is asian.

Pierce is white but bases nearly everything on the belief interaction is based on racial prejudice.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #32
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Pierce is white but bases nearly everything on the belief interaction is based on racial prejudice.
He's wrong there. Interaction is based on whether or not you want to lay the person.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #33
lookout123
changed his status to single

That is far closer to the truth. Don't care what color or religion anyone is so long as they are hot.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Jim, I think you should form another away crew to seek out a black oriented online community, and invite them to come join us so we aren't so fuckin' crackah.
Or a black oriental community? Oh that's right. "Oriental" isn't PC. I guess "black" isn't either. WTF. I am so un-PC. Who else can I offend? Hey Grandma, nice Pie!

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #35
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Tell me about it Queenie. I have to do so many quickfire mental revisions whilst I'm talking to people in meetings and such, because it's like a bloody minefield. I know. I know. Schools are led now by Head Teachers, but my mind still wants to say Head Master. It's probably only in the last ten years that I stopped saying 'half caste' and started saying 'mixed race'. I am now not really sure what is the current accepted term *chuckles*

Such is life. Each generation reimagines themselves and the world they're in, and what seemed compatible with their parents identities may not be compatible with their own.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
Tiki

I find that intention is more meaningful than language, and I also find that if someone is at least willing to reconsider their language in order to not be hurtful, it shows that their heart is in the right place.

At the same time, I don't have a lot of patience for most of the PC stuff, because it's artificial sensitivity. Besides, who makes this shit up? I want to know what bunch of jerks keeps deciding that we need a new euphemism for "black" every couple of decades. From "Negro" to "Black" to "African-yourcountryhere". First of all, I don't think it's especially reasonable to have to determine someone's nation of origin before being able to describe their appearance. Second, as technically inaccurate as "black" is, it's just a fucking adjective for fuck sake.

Plus, I am pretty damn sure it wasn't an indian who decided indians have to be called "Native American" now.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #37
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

So if I were PC, I would be a Slightly-Tan-Scot-Swede-American. That would be really hard to say if I were eating sunflower seeds. I'd rather just be white.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
Pie
Gone and done

Y'all are pink to me.

YOU HEAR ME? PINK!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #39
Tiki

I'm definitely not pink. I'm approximately the color of cardboard, or toast.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #40
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

with or without crust?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #41
Tiki

With.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yeah. Tiki's pretty crusty.

I had a friend who used to write in "beige" when asked for color. He had some Eastern European Swarthiness going on.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

american sign language has TONS of really offensive signs for different ethnic groups. They are really rather funny....unless you're an overly sensitive dork-head.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #44
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
It's probably only in the last ten years that I stopped saying 'half caste' and started saying 'mixed race'. I am now not really sure what is the current accepted term
This week, in the US, it's bi-racial. Your verbiage may vary
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #45
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I generally try to say Native American or American Indian, just to keep things straight so someone knows whether I'm talking about an Indian from India, or an Indian as in Native American. Apparently "Mexican" is not PC, you're supposed to call a person Hispanic, even if they're directly from Mexico. It is kinda rude to assume every Hispanic you meet is from Mexico, so generally unless I know the country of origin I do try to not use the label Mexican. It'd be like calling every Asian you meet Chinese when they're really from Korea, for example. Although, is Asian a PC term nowadays? I can never keep up. I think "black" is PC again though, and its as accurate as African-whatever country if the person has never even been to Africa, much less was born there. To me it just seems kinda silly to claim a continent as your own when you have no real ties to it for generations. It'd be like me calling myself European-American, we don't even know how back its been since my ancestors moved to the Americas, so why claim a continent I have no known physical ties to anymore?