The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
Tse Moana
You're just jealous 'cause the little voices talk to me

I love books, I love to read. Always have, I cannot pass anything with letters on it and not read that as well. Most of what I read is esacpism: scifi/fantasy a lot, pagan stuff, historic novels, poetry, some regular lit. Hardly any of the flimsy books though, they have to have some body (and then I don't mean number of pages).

I used to read more when I was younger, but then, that's easier with less responsibilities to take care of and all. Nowadays, depending on what needs to be done in a given month, I generally read between 2/6 books a month.

I have a great many books (600+ atm), am running out of space but will never stop getting more books, I love them too much.

I like to watch tv too and then divide the time between a handful of series I always watch and some freeranging along discovery channel, national geographic channel and animal planet. I watch stuff beside that, but generally only when I accidentally come across while channelflipping.
Tse Moana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
rkzenrage

What is really sad, & a real testament to the sickness of today, is how people used to ask me "what'cha' readin"... now they ask "why are you readin' that".
I'm not kidding, I get asked that all of the time. They ask me that often, also, when I tell them that I'm going to the library as well.
There must be a reason to read, something must be making you do it... it can't be because you like it, especially since I read non-fiction most of the time.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Anyone else like to read in bed before going to sleep? I've done this since I was a kid [back in the dark ages]. I now find it hard to go to sleep unless I read for at least a little bit.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I love to read before going to sleep, but I've had to learn to pace myself. Sometimes if the book is too good, I'll forget to go to sleep!
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I have to have some distraction or I just start thinking about stuff and it takes quite a while to get to sleep. Usually reading or listening to music or something will do the trick.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Ibby
erika

Nah, my computer is within arms reach of my bed, so I stay online on AIM and various web sites until I pass out.

Though I DO sleep listening to music, every single night. I can't sleep without it.

Last edited by Ibby; 07-10-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I don't buy it. (PDF of NEA 2004 survey results.)

A decline in reading? Yes. "58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school?" I don't think so.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have cable TV and my sons have managed not to embrace CNN or Fox or any other network, cable or not, or show for their values. And I can't recall that they ever sought comfort from the scarey world in television, either.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

It is only my way. Your mileage may vary.

I just ask myself, would I invite people into my home who behave in ways which seem normalized on tv?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My mom made sure we had only a 12" black and white TV, on purpose, and was careful about restrictions, etc.

Today I have the biggest TV I can afford and digital cable with 100 channels + 7 HBOs, TiVo, surround sound, etc. and watch hours upon hours of propaganda every day. In the truck it's Sirius with 150 satellite radio channels.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

One of my Radio-TV-Film professors had a standard question on the first day of every class: "How many of you were not allowed to watch television as children?" The percentages were astounding; usually more than half the class.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Ibby
erika

I watched a lot of TV, but only the fun stuff. If it was supposed to be intellectual or funny or something and wasnt, i didnt care. I think ive always been a bit ahead of the age curve... I started reading when I was two... and here I am as a teenager, hanging with and getting along just fine with a bunch of people twice my age. I cant stand most forums populated by people my age, theyre pretty chaotic yet boring. No real content.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As I was trying to pick out the next book I'm going to read, I had a little movie flashback that should help everyone understand how into books I am ...

You've seen Fahrenheit 451? You know that house, the one where the girl lives with the older folks ... I don't have that much clever space, but I have nearly that many books.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:42 AM   #14
Pancake Man
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

The 3rd-graders I work with don't read. I don't mean it isn't fun, I mean they can barely read. One was sent down the hall last year, to examine how the 5th-graders read. Absolutely no difference. Children see it as a chore, something that they only have to do in school, so they never learn to enjoy it. Think; now teachers are not asking "Can you read this?", they are saying "Read this or you fail." Not exactly positive reenforcement. Then again, the students aren't so eager, with the XBox 360 waiting at home.

Rant finished.

*walks away with head down*
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
Ibby
erika

Man, in third grade, the teacher had to keep YELLING at me FOR reading in class.