The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-23-2004, 09:35 PM   #31
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Spaten, Spaten Optimator (in the winter) are all something like 7.6% Very tasty, of course, but be careful. The first time I had Spaten I didn't realize how strong it was and I was pacing myself for my usual whatever. I had three pretty quickly and then nearly toppled when I tried to stand up.

Some beer t- shirts I've seen:

Beer: Helping ugly people get laid since 1572

Beer: Ask for it by name, accept no substitutes

Beer thoughts:
Beer is proof that God loves us– Ben Franklin? (when in doubt attribute it to him)

Ommegang Brewery's "Hennepin" is great, a bit pricey at $4.00 for 25oz.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #32
lookout123
changed his status to single

my favorite well known beer is of course Guinness, otherwise known as the nectar of the gods.

i used to work at a microbrewery back in illinois and they still have the best OE i have ever had - it is the glorious Big Bad Dog.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:36 AM   #33
warch
lurkin old school

Optimator...of course! It schmecks!
Wine, bread, cheese, beer....these monks know what is going on. Quite a good gig.
I will investigate the Chatterbox. Never heard of it, but sounds like St. Paul.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #34
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
It's woth noting that I'm already kind of irked about this. Went out drinking with my cousin on Saturday and he asked for olives in his beer. Called it a "poor man's martini".

I've heard of that, before, or people simply shaking a small amount of salt into their beer. The theory is that the salt (either from the olives, or just salt itself) helps the beer go down smoother...if it's overcarbonated, it will knock some of the bubbles out, and if it has gone flat (like when we thought 3 guys could kick a quarter-barrel at my frat brothers' place one friday night), it draws out the CO2 that has gone into solution. Personally, it's not my cup of tea, but at least it makes sense.

Personally, I'm not going to drink a beer that can't stand firm (if wobbly) on its own two legs. Even Milwaukee's Beast or Natty doesn't need anything extra.

Let us change the topic to worst beer ever. I nominate Old Style Light, at $8 for a case of 24 here in the 'Burgh. It comes in a simple, silver can with the word "Beer" printed on the side in black letters. Tastes like it's been cold-filtered through someone (or something)'s ass
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #35
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek31337
Let us change the topic to worst beer ever.
Keystone. I had a friend insist the stuff was great but I refused to drink it. When he finally did trick me into trying it, I swear my tastebuds turned inside-out.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #36
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek31337
Let us change the topic to worst beer ever. I nominate Old Style Light, at $8 for a case of 24 here in the 'Burgh. It comes in a simple, silver can with the word "Beer" printed on the side in black letters. Tastes like it's been cold-filtered through someone (or something)'s ass
At a school where Natty and Vlad are accepted fares, and Miller High Life is consided "the good stuff" by many, I thought I lived the underbelly of fermented beverages. Clearly, I was in error. Thank you sir.

But yeah, the worst I've tasted: Natty Ice, MHL, and Rolling Rock. I honestly don't understand the big deal with Rolling Rock, but then I've been more partial to Yuengling and the dark brews myself.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #37
TheSnake
Resident President

Milwaukee's Best is the WORST beer ever. Don't get me wrong, Natty Ice isn't great, but I think it gets a bad reputation. Compared to Beast, Natty ain't that bad.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #38
garnet

Burgie was pretty nasty. Do they still even make that shit?

Remember during the "generic" craze of the 70s when they came out with the generic beer? It was in a bright yellow can with just the word "BEER" on it. I don't recall ever seeing anyone actually drink it, but my older sister used to use it to wash her hair.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #39
lookout123
changed his status to single

nope - the worst beer i've ever had was a chile beer. it had hatch chile's in it. you want to talk about nasty?
Old 08-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #40
perth
Strong Silent Type

That reminds me! Tommyknocker Brewery has this Ornery Amber that we started referring to as "Ornery Armpit", because it tastes like it was filtered through some sweaty guy's gym bag. That stuff was ASS.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 PM   #41
obsessed

Bear guzzles 36 beers, passes out at campground
Thursday, August 19, 2004 Posted: 4:23 PM EDT (2023 GMT)

SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- A black bear was found passed out at a campground in Washington state recently after guzzling down three dozen cans of a local beer, a campground worker said on Wednesday.

"We noticed a bear sleeping on the common lawn and wondered what was going on until we discovered that there were a lot of beer cans lying around," said Lisa Broxson, a worker at the Baker Lake Resort, 80 miles (129 kilometers) northeast of Seattle.

The hard-drinking bear, estimated to be about two years old, broke into campers' coolers and, using his claws and teeth to open the cans, swilled down the suds.

It turns out the bear was a bit of a beer sophisticate. He tried a mass-market Busch beer, but switched to Rainier Beer, a local ale, and stuck with it for his drinking binge.

Wildlife agents chased the bear away, but it returned the next day, said Broxson.

They set a trap using as bait some doughnuts, honey and two cans of Rainier Beer. It worked, and the bear was captured for relocation.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 PM   #42
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Schlitz has to be the worst most masty ass stuff around

Now for the best line of beers i would have to go with New Belgium brewery , I have YET to have one of their flavors that i don't like . Bier de Mars ROCKS!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:27 AM   #43
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnake
Milwaukee's Best is the WORST beer ever.
Ballantine is the worst ever. Second place goes to Champale ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #44
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

goebel, anyone? the beer of France....
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:46 PM   #45
TheSnake
Resident President

That bear story is hilarious................still laughing
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote