The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #31
Ibby
erika

UG, ask yourself not "Am I smarter than he?" but "Am I as fun a person as he?"

I know I wouldn't want to hang around someone who was no fun but could use uselessly big words on cue to make himself sound smart. Gimme someone with less grasp of the language but more grasp of fun any day.

That said... normally, I'm kinda a stickler for spelling and grammar and such, but a valid excuse is a valid excuse. I got on zippy a bit at the start of the thread, but that was me being a stickler over one word, not calling him a dumbass or saying 'LYK ZOMG U NED 2 SPL EVRYTNG RITE!!11one!!one1'. I can understand what he's trying to say well enough to be able to tell he's a cool dude

Last edited by Ibby; 06-22-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nobody gives a shit how smart you are.

They only want to know what you can do for them.

If you are smart it only means you can use it against them.

When you actually do use it against them, it makes you a very unlikeable character. Since you've done that here many times, I'm guessing that you do not, in real life, have a great deal of power and/or influence.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #33
rkzenrage

Can't we have something like a fatwa? I want to declare **** on shit and just go ape on it.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #34
Ibby
erika

I do that all the time.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #35
rkzenrage

But does it have a cool name like Zeemer?
"A Zeemer on those phone spys!!!!"
Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #36
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

So this is a very raw sore point with zippyt. This I see, and I apologize for pushing his buttons. I know what it is to have a button pushed.

Now here's a button I have, stumblefuck. I don't descend to your level: I say it's within your power, whatever the obstacles, to rise to mine. Your DI's told you the same thing, all through Parris or Pendleton, and I'm telling it to you now. You don't have to like it right off, and you don't have to like being called a stumblefuck, but rise to my level of competence with the English tongue and you've got something worthwhile, and none may take it from you. The attempt by those here to take my mastery of English away, or belittle it however specious their miserable excuses for so doing, is a fool's errand. You notice I don't run fool's errands. Guess a reason, if you like. Don't hate me for being better acquainted with a dictionary than yourselves -- use the fifty-cent words. Particularly, use them rightly and well.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #37
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

UG, you too should try to do your very best.

Instead of claiming superiority because you have a stronger vocabulary, which is actually of limited utility, how about trying to claim it next week by becoming the most respected, the most well-liked of our bunch here.

It's a big reach for ya, but we have confidence that if you really try hard you can ACHIEVE. I mean, so far, Zippy is WAY ahead of you on this subject, but work hard and dig real deep down.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #38
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Don't hate me for being better acquainted with a dictionary than yourselves -- use the fifty-cent words.
I have to admit taking perverse pleasure not only in the irony of UG using words more valuable ($0.50) than the imbecilic point he is trying to make but also the irony of his blissfull ignorance of it.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #39
Urbane Guerrilla

No ignorance at all. There is nothing imbecilic to the idea that solecisms are still bad. They were bad when the Greeks picked on the mushmouthed and ungrammatical speech of the inhabitants of Soloi, and they aren't improving with age.

Just for fun, do you know how to spell "blissful?"
Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 AM   #40
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profane Gorilla
No ignorance at all. There is nothing imbecilic to the idea that solecisms are still bad. They were bad when the Greeks picked on the mushmouthed and ungrammatical speech of the inhabitants of Soloi, and they aren't improving with age.

Just for fun, do you know how to spell "blissful?"
Just for fun, do you know that "No ignorance at all." is a grammatically incorrect sentence fragment?

Just for fun, do you know that mushmouthed is not a word? Let me help you out here. In those instances when you have a thought so sophisticated and so subtle that none of the over 100,000 words in the dictionary are adequate enough to express it, you can take two words from the dictionary and hyphenate them to create a new word. Hence, the solecism in your post can be transformed into a grammatically correct word more befitting the complex and sophisticated mind that gave birth to it by putting a dash between mush and mouthed to create (drum roll, please).... mush-mouthed. Out of curiosity, did you mean to use that word at all? I hesitate to ask since I'm certain you wouldn't use an adjective (however solecistic) meant to describe speech to describe the written word.

Just for fun, do you know that it is also grammatically incorrect to use the adjective 'imbecilic' to modify the phrase 'to the point?' I think you meant to say "...imbecilic about the point...." but don't want to give you the benefit of the doubt since you rarely extend that courtesy to others.

Just for fun, do you know that it is grammatically incorrect to use a pronoun without an antecedent in the same sentence? I didn't think so because anyone who knew that wouldn't begin a sentence with a pronoun like you did in your second sentence (recall that the first meaningless phrase followed by a period does not have the required syntactical elements to elevate it to sentence status).

Just for fun, do you know that you have a grammatically incorrect comma splice in your second sentence?

Just for fun, do you realize that making a plethora of grammar errors in a three-sentence post not only make your high horse look more like a jackass but also make you look like a moron? You might know how to spell irony but it's pretty clear that the concept embedded in the word is sailing right over your oversized head.

I'll take Zippy's spelling over the worthless ideas your pitiful grammar stumbles over itself to convey any day.

Are we having fun yet?

Last edited by Beestie; 06-27-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 AM   #41
Ibby
erika

Grammar is great up to the point of conveying an idea. If you can do that with the words and structure you use, you're good to go, unless you're doing something official or otherwise formal.

However, if you're going to attempt to demand correct spelling and grammar... do it right yourself.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #42
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I'll take Zippy's spelling over the worthless ideas your pitiful grammar stumbles over itself to convey any day.

Are we having fun yet?

Fuckin' thank you. I was wondering how he was still standing on his soap box with all of those errors continuously slapping me in the face as I read his posts, but then I remembered the only thing he knows about the English language and how to type it is the correct spelling and the definition. It makes sense, that is the only thing you would learn from studying a dictionary. Bravo. You know all the words and when to use them. Just not how. So, UG sit the fuck down and shut up.

Edit: Just to set the record straight, I'm not claiming to be the grand master of the English language. I just think it's pretty damn petty to fault someone to the degree that UG has. Are we not all adults?

Last edited by KinkyVixen; 06-27-2006 at 10:30 AM.
KinkyVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #43
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Well said, Beastie.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #44
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyVixen
Are we not all adults?
...Nope.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #45
Urbane Guerrilla

Well, well, well. Beestie, a sentence fragment is an elliptical construction -- look the idea up if you need to. It is so used here, and elliptical constructions, while clearly not properly called sentences, are not ungrammatical, any more than this one is. They merely don't need to mention what is already understood.

It is surprising, indeed, not to find an obvious and readily understood compound word like "mushmouthed" to have its own entry in a Webster's -- but no one except somebody frantic for some excuse, any excuse, any wispy excuse, to round on me will fault me for it. Your actions, sir, betray you. No editor on Earth would fault me for using it in a newspaper column. Whenever Webster's catches up is fine by me. Remember, too, that many compounds beginning as hyphenated pairs of words lose their hyphens in shortish order, and in no defined nor authorized order.

"Nothing imbecilic to" is used to point directly at that which has the property of not being imbecilic. "Nothing imbecilic in" might perhaps have been better style. Don't try so hard at making mountains of molehills. I limited my effort in that direction to one sentence! How many paragraphs did you use here to heap Pelion upon Ossa?

The comma splice is correct. In that sentence, a semicolon would be too much, and a colon right out. Stylistically rather than grammatically, the comma could go and the sentence would still work well, but the sentence isn't scrambled by its presence.

Ideological notions of which ideas are worthless are, well, notional. I draw your attention in particular to definition 3a under "notional" in the Webster's Third .

Yeah, I'm having fun yet, and probably more than you. :p At least use a spellchecker, wetware or software, but be wary of the software tool as it can't distinguish either homonyms or meanings.

Vixen: no.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 06-27-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote