The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 AM   #31
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

The A's look really smart by keeping all their guys, especially Zito.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #32
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Let's Go Red Sox

Quote:
I'm a huge Red Sox fan (Boston born and bred),
I'm from Boston too, c&b, but I'm now a "Yankee" in Atlanta. I got to see the Bo-Sox during the interleague games against the Bravos. I have to admit that ever since the amazing events of 2004, the Sox have gotten way too popular. How many Sox games can ESPN broadcast? I mean, yeah, it's great for me, but it makes others hate us (blo sox?). We now have the second-highest salary in MLB. People be hatin' on the Sox and Pats because of their success. I kinda miss the curse.

Yankees Suck!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #33
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Bo-Sox Update

Things happen kinda fast this time of year. Boston just picked up Javy Lopez from the O's. That's a great aquisition. Lopez was great here in the ATL. He's not the best defensive catcher, but when he's on his game he can hit wicked good. Miribelli got injured last night, so Javy is now our starting catcher. I hope for a spark. Clement is out for Wells tonight. I hate Wells. I will always see him as a f*&^%$# Yankee.

Oh, and Keith Foulke may join the team next week. Yeah, he's sucked of late, but maybe he will rise like the Phoenix.

Who the hell designed that Tampa stadium? That is the stupidest ball park in the land!!! A white roof? Pop ups hitting rafters? Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket!
Old 08-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #34
Griff
still says videotape

Mirabellis down too!? Javey hasn't been hitting, even a little bit. Let's go Yankees! One bummer Bubba got designated for assignment yesterday. *sigh*
Old 08-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #35
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Rays have our #

Red Sox have lost 7 of 10 to the D-Rays. I don't get it.

KC is next for 3 games, then it's home to Fenway for a long stretch ending with 5 games with the Yankees. That could be a make or break series.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #36
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
Red Sox have lost 7 of 10 to the D-Rays. I don't get it.

KC is next for 3 games, then it's home to Fenway for a long stretch ending with 5 games with the Yankees. That could be a make or break series.
well that didn't end to well, kansas city swept boston, i'd say pitching is a major problem now in boston. and forget about chasing the yankees they're too good.
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #37
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

KC sweep is not a good sign even if a person keeps in mind that KC has bats this year. Still, NYY isn't running away with it. Their pitching is pretty bad. I still think it's going to be close but NYY has the edge now.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #38
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Fogeddaboutit?

Quote:
and forget about chasing the yankees
No way. How can I forget about it? We've been chasing Yankees for decades! OK, I was waiting for Schilling and Boomer (tonight, eek) to break down, and they have. But stranger things have happened. Tell ya what; let's see how that upcoming 5-game series with the Yankkes plays out. If we don't win at least 3 of those games, I'll concede.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #39
Griff
still says videotape

The race is far from over particularly if A-Rod doesn't remember how to throw a baseball.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #40
W.HI.P
Free

keep in mind that the young pitchers which have been in since the start of the season will not be able to last to the end.
expect detroit and oakland to show a serious pitching downfall because of this. that was one of my considerations when predicting.
you can't say the same about the angels, saunders just came in and jer.weaver since mid-season so they should be just fine.

now things are shaping up pretty nicely.
houston closing the gap on st.louis now, within striking distance and the astros are looking pretty good this past week.
detroit lasted longer than i thought, but they will collapse. chicago will just surpass them, minnesota is finished as liriano is out and jo.santana is below par. what i can't understand is clevland...like wtf is happenening, how could it be, they've got such an amazing team all around, how could they be soooooo out of it, it dosen't make sense.
dodgers looking better than arizona, i can't understand why some people thought san diego would do better than those two.
the angels woke up and there will be no catching up to them, forget about it.
there was a reason at the start of the year that the yankees were the favorite to win the world series, even with the injuries.
and lemme tell you, if abreu never came to ny, and all of a sudden jeter was out for the season, i'd still bet on the yankees winning the division against the red sox, so....forget about it.
.........and the most impressive thing i've seen in all of baseball....the mets
unbelievable i say...beltraine, wright, reyes, delgado = toooooo good
and pedro
my original baseball thread here at the cellar spoke of a ny vs ny world series.
i hope the angels will be there, but nyy-nym looks like the most possible scenario.
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:09 AM   #41
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I don't see how you're thinking the young pitchers won't hang in. Some pitch more in the minors and of the A's none of them are rookies. In addition they've had some rookies making spot starts which help rest the regulars.

Detroit has shown this is more than just a good half. They will be in the post season. Chicago is fading a bit and MN isn't looking as hot but they still got bats to make it close with Chicago. Can't count any of those three teams out IMO. I agree with you on Cleveland. What players and what a terrible record.

San Diego has terrible starting pitching aside from Peavy. No further explanation needed.

The Angels and Yankees really don't impress me. When they got payrolls that big and aren't completely running away with things it makes me think they are vulnerable.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #42
Pangloss62
Lecturer

You said it!

Quote:
The race is far from over particularly if A-Rod doesn't remember how to throw a baseball.
And what does Ass-Rod do the very night Griff says that? He throws a double-play ball into right field! Damn, Griff, you know how to call them.

And the Yankees lost, and the Bo-Sox won, so now I feel better.

Any more predictions, Griff?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #43
Griff
still says videotape

I'm gonna save up my powers for the 5 game set at Fenway. ARods head is not in a good place for baseball right now.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #44
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Quote:
ARods head is not in a good place for baseball right now.
Well...uhhhh...if not now, when?

That 5-gamer could be the key to the Bo-Sox being in first place.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
Well...uhhhh...if not now, when?
After the trade.