The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #31
Ibby
erika

It wouldn't just be both of you, it would escalate... it always does, doesnt it? she'll get her head-doctor buddies after you... you'll get your friends... etc.

Ragnarok is the North End Myth.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #32
Pie
Gone and done

Oh. I thought it came from Dr. Who.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #33
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeplate
I still think we should give the whole area to China ... the whole region should be run by as a-religious a goverment as we have available to us.
Seems to me the Soviet Union tried that already in Afghanistan. Didn't work out so well.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
For Israel, it's a good thing. They're going to need a lot of people to populate the *New Expanded Israel*....now with 5 times the real estate.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #35
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
They're going to need a lot of people to populate the *New Expanded Israel*....now with 5 times the real estate.
What goes around comes around.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But that just gives them more border to defend, not solve the problem which is animosity toward them by the Muslims. There's nothing they can do about that.

I was watching the Americans in Lebanon bitching about the US not coming to get them immediately. They want Uncle Sam to drop everything and send a flying taxi, NOW.

When are people going to grasp, when you cross the US border, you're at risk. What's so hard to understand about going into another country puts you in their sandbox where they play their game by their rules.

Attention citizens, if they didn't haul your ass out of New Orleans during a flood, why do you think they'd haul your ass out of someplace there's shooting going on?
Don't send your kid to school in a potential war zone. Don't even get me started on that oxymoron "Dual Citizenship".
Old 07-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #37
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Attention citizens, if they didn't haul your ass out of New Orleans during a flood, why do you think they'd haul your ass out of someplace there's shooting going on?
Um, because they're rich and white? Let's not forget the Med school students in Grenada.

Quote:
A publicised tactical concern of the United States was the safe recovery of U.S. nationals enrolled at St. George's University.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 07-17-2006 at 01:45 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That was bullshit. The Cubans building an airport was the concern, the rest just spin, PR, fluff, whatever you call it.....bullshit.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #39
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
That was bullshit. The Cubans building an airport was the concern, the rest just spin, PR, fluff, whatever you call it.....bullshit.
What would a war be without Public Information Officers?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #40
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
What would a war be without Public Information Officers?

A covert op.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 AM   #41
Buddug

Dominique de Villepin , the French Prime Minister , was sent to the Lebanon yesterday . France is expressing its solidarity with the Lebanon very clearly .
Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #42
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

So France is supporting those who initiated aggression? That seems a little inconsistent.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #43
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, this is where it gets tricky, Lebanon didn't initiate. Lebanon is a bit more progressive than other area nations, and although they hate Israel to different degrees, it's not the core principle bloodlusty jihad type of hate. The problem is that Lebanon can't refuse Hisballah, a non-governmental, terroristic organization roughly run out of Syria and supported by Iran.

I think the real government and army can't deny Hisballah partly because Hisballah is liked (like the mob, they provide social services); partly because they are the common enemy of Israel; and mostly because leaders who fight Hisballah are almost always assassinated.

So the Israeli actions are to try to disarm Hisballah, because Hisballah was clearly gearing up for more adventurous war, and a UN demand that Hisballah disarm was clearly ignored.

And if the Lebanese can manage to reduce Hisballah's power in their country, they will not fight Israel, and will continue to move ahead with their fledgling Democracy. Lebanon will become a really awesome nation and we will all go to Beruit on holiday. This is what I hope.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #44
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
So France is supporting those who initiated aggression? That seems a little inconsistent.
France supports Lebanon regaining control over its country and borders.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #45
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Gotcha - there's a difference between the legitimate government of Lebanon, which the French support, and the Hezballah, who militantly oppose Israel.