The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #31
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Moron? I don't think so. Consider how short the average persons memory is. How many people have you heard bitching about the fact that Bin Laden has been forgotten since the war broke out? Very few is the answer Id have to give. It's simple substitution. Kinda basic, but very well orchestrated. So now Saddam is the big bad, and Bin Laden is last weeks news. If he keeps playing it this way we can expect a new great evil of the month from here on out. Even if the fate of Saddam remains uncertain he'll be forgotten. The question is, who's the next evil?
     I haven't seen any of the supposed polls saying that most Americans believe Saddam was connected to 9/11, but if it's true then it would be indicative of how well Bush can manipulate the situation. Come to think of it I've never even talked to someone that held such a belief... Even if it's not true then he's still pulled off some stuff, such as going to war without UN backing, that I wouldn't have believed he could ever pull off when he was elected.
     Yeah, 9/11 changed everything for him, but he's really worked it well. Calling Bush a moron plays into his game. He is a man that really knows how to work being "misunderestimated." Never just assume he's stupid. Every time people do that Bush comes out ahead. I'd be happy about this if I was convinced he'd bring the US along or the ride.
Old 04-12-2003, 06:13 PM   #32
juju
no one of consequence

Just because people can't remember what they had for breakfast yesterday morning doesn't mean Bush is some sort of Genius Mastermind. I actually get the sense that he has about average intelligence, but I'd bet he's the one being manipulated.

The whole 9/11-terrorist mindset is sort of like the mob/rioting mentality. You don't have to be smart to get away with crazy shit. People just let you do it because they're caught up in the moment and forget their rationality.

juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:13 PM   #33
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I may have overspoke a little. I'm not suggesting Bush is some kind of genius. I'm saying that he's done a good job of getting what he wants. Hell, what has he not gotten that he wanted? If he doesn't have it yet then I bet he's working on getting it pretty quick.
     Look at it from that point of view. I remember making jokes about how much Bush wanted to invade Iraq before 9/11. We never thought it would happen. After 9/11 most of the people I knew still didn't see it happening.
     Now it has happened. I think a lot of the reason things have gone this far is that people still think Bush is an idiot.
     He can't talk right, but he sure seems to get his way. That is my point. If he is a moron could he have gotten his way so often?
Old 04-12-2003, 09:16 PM   #34
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'll take Dubya over his sidekick anyday.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #35
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Actually ... I'm feeling a little queasy ... I've never said such nice things about Bush before ...

Damn it, Juju! It's all your fault. ;]
Old 04-12-2003, 10:00 PM   #36
juju
no one of consequence

I guess you're right. I've always ridiculed people who said the president is a moron, because obviously you don't get to that position without some skills. Now here I am doing it!

I've made a cursory effort to try to nail down a respectable source for the two Bush quotes in question. I just want to see it on a site that somebody's little brother couldn't have done up. Like a major news site, or something well-known.

The source for the last quote, The New American, is actually given. But it was still hard to find, because they transposed two of the words, therefore slightly changing the wording. This initially made a google search turn up nothing, but I did eventually find it here.

But I still have yet to find a trusted source for the second-to-last quote. It's the most incriminating one. The one that makes him look most like an idiot. The last quote could have just been taken out of context, but the second-to-last one is pretty damned clear. Anyway, the second-to-last quote is cited everywhere on the net. A google for "bush "bin laden" "not our priority"" turns up 145 hits. But no major news sites show up in the first four pages.

Did he actually say this, or did someone just say he said it and it caught on?

Last edited by juju; 04-12-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:12 AM   #37
Torrere
a real smartass

I found a site dated to April 18 2002 which claims that Bush made the second to last quote from BuzzFlash.

Also, damningly, I found a geocities site, whose owner made up quotes attributed to supermodels that wanted to have sex with him, with the quote by Bush.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 12:59 PM   #38
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I googled "Bush 3/13/02" and I got a list of sites. No major news sources that I noticed but there were a number on different sides. Seems likely he did say it. Though, again, I don't think it makes him a moron. More like a jerk.*

* (My kids are right here...)
Old 04-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #39
juju
no one of consequence

I think you underestimate how easily false information can spread online. :)
Old 04-13-2003, 05:40 PM   #40
wolf
lobber of scimitars

buzzflash.com IS an authorized, authoratative source, isn't it??

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #41
juju
no one of consequence

uhh..
Old 04-13-2003, 11:45 PM   #42
Torrere
a real smartass

Normally, buzzflash.com would be an authoritive source. However, it so happens that Karen lost most of her credibility a year ago, with the infamous prediction she made last year regarding the leaf cartel.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 AM   #43
wolf
lobber of scimitars

SARCASM, dammit ... the winky smiley thingy denotes sarcasm, right?? or should I use fake tags to delimit the sarcastic remarks from now on ....

Of course, you COULD just take it as given that anything I say as goofy as that was intended to be sarcastic. :p

sheesh.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:15 AM   #44
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Protest by interfering with shipments to troops? <b>That could cost lives.</b> That is not okay.
I don't have to point out the increadible irony of that comment, do I?..

D
smalland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 AM   #45
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I think you underestimate how easily false information can spread online.
The correct sentence is: "I think you <b>misunderestimate</b> how easily false information can spread online."