The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #31
marichiko

If you are hunting with a companion and that person goes off somewhere, you automatically exercise extra caution when your hunting pal is not within your field of vision. The other thing is that when hunting ANYTHING, you have to look at it and aim to hit it. Now sometimes a hunter makes a lucky shot by aiming at a sound or a sudden movement off in the distance and gets to kill or wound someone. In Colorado we generally attribute such behaviors to Texans. Oh, wait! Never mind...
Old 02-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #32
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Bruce, anytime a person gets shot with a gun in TX it is to be reported to the police. This did not happen. The reporters usually call the local papers to get all that info (police blotter sections I suppose) but it was not reported when they called. So maybe it really wasn't their business but if this had not been an accident (say he snapped and shot a teen) don't you think that's news worthy? Shouldn't it have been reported to the police?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #33
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Why wait 18 hours before notifying the press? Could it be that Cheney had to wait for the alcohol to leave his system in case his blood was tested? Did they have to make up a story, because the headline "Cheney shoots republican for not donating enough" looks really bad? Did the accident happen as Cheney leaned on his gun to get up off his knees, from in front of Whittington? Did Whittington reportedly say "that was the best head I ever got - right up until he shot me in the face"?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
Bruce, anytime a person gets shot with a gun in TX it is to be reported to the police. This did not happen. The reporters usually call the local papers to get all that info (police blotter sections I suppose) but it was not reported when they called. So maybe it really wasn't their business but if this had not been an accident (say he snapped and shot a teen) don't you think that's news worthy? Shouldn't it have been reported to the police?
Does the Secret Service qualify as police?
"News worthy" doesn't make it a requirement or obligation. As a matter of fact, news worthy is a pretty nebulous term these days.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #35
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Does the Secret Service qualify as police?
No, but I'm sure it would have been OK fo the secret service to report it to police instead of Cheney himself.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #36
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Actually, how the heck have you missed seeing it? For the last couple of years it has been run for 24 contiguous hours on either TNT or TBS on Christmas Eve.
Believe it or not, there are households that don't turn on a TV during Christmas.

However, we do have the DVD.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
No, but I'm sure it would have been OK fo the secret service to report it to police instead of Cheney himself.
The hospital is required to report ... they should also be questioned. How did they get the guy to the hospital, though? Toss him in the back of a limo, or call an ambulance? If an ambulance was involved, the police were notified.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #38
seakdivers
Icy Queen

According to an article in Rolling Stone:

there are some advantages to hunting with a Veep with a bum ticker. "Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there," said a spokeswoman. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

Gotta wonder if the ambulance was on call because of Cheney's heart problems, or because the old fart shouldn't be out hunting.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #39
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
snip...
I also think that Clinton, when asked about the Ho, should have said it's none of your business. :p
IMO, he should have said in his best Austin Powers voice and his trademark leer/smile:

"I shagged her rotten baby. Yeah!"

Old 02-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #40
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The White House says it was Whittington's fault.
Quote:
Q I know you had a chance to speak to, I assume, the President and the Vice President today. Did the Vice President follow all of the appropriate safety procedures that are familiar to hunters in this case?

MR. McCLELLAN: I think if you've got specifics about that, probably direct them to the Vice President's Office. I don't know all the specifics about it, but I think Mrs. Armstrong spoke publicly about how this incident occurred. And if I recall, she pointed out that the protocol was not followed by Mr. Whittington, when it came to notifying the others that he was there. And so, you know, unfortunately these types of hunting accidents happen from time to time. And all of us were most concerned about Mr. Whittington. And as I said, the Vice President was glad to see he was doing fine yesterday and that he's in good spirits. He is someone that many of us here know and have great respect for, and we look forward to him getting out of the hospital soon.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #41
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

RE: BigV's post. I see it's time to play Blame the Victim. Nice.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #42
glatt

You would think they would have learned from Brownie that you shouldn't blame someone on your team until you are sure of their loyalty.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #43
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

He may not be doing too well.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He shot a lawyer, give him a medal.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

Some say he's setting back the gun owners movement with his irresponsibility.