Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 PM   #31
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
It's not that there are jobs that people won't do, it's just that there are some wages that people won't work for.
I agree with you to a point. But I do think that there are also jobs that many people just won't do because they're "above it."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:11 PM   #32
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

True, but those aren't the people we're talking about. As time goes by, and inflation inflates, expected wages, regardless of the job, will rise. Undocumented laborers, and the illicit wages they incite, can cause instability.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #33
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
True, but those aren't the people we're talking about.
I agree for the most part. There seems to be a growing aversion to hard work in this country. I've seen immigrants doing more things like dishwashing, janitorial services, etc., which didn't seem as prevalent in the 1990s.

Quote:
As time goes by, and inflation inflates, expected wages, regardless of the job, will rise. Undocumented laborers, and the illicit wages they incite, can cause instability.
Possibly. But if instability is a real concern (and it doesn't seem to be at the moment), I think it would be caused by something like outsourcing rather than illegals.

You mentioned targeting companies. What do you think would happen if that were done?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:58 PM   #34
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't like it, but I'm realistic about it ... if the gov't cracked down hard on illegals working ... we'd see more businesses move their manufacturing operations off shore.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #35
lookout123
changed his status to single

i worked in manufacturing and i never ran across an illegal immigrant, that i am aware of.

we see them in construction, restaurants, farming, landscaping, most physical labor jobs - but not usually in factories, in my experience.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #36
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I don't like it, but I'm realistic about it ... if the gov't cracked down hard on illegals working ... we'd see more businesses move their manufacturing operations off shore.
Goddamn, Wolf! You just might have redeemed yourself in the Book of Sycamore with your pragmatism.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:05 PM   #37
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i worked in manufacturing and i never ran across an illegal immigrant, that i am aware of.

we see them in construction, restaurants, farming, landscaping, most physical labor jobs - but not usually in factories, in my experience.
You haven't been to the chicken factories in Southern Delaware, my friend.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #38
busterb
NSABFD

Tyson food in MS. is full of them. I'll go make a photo of a place soon. Some Mex. ? got big bucks in law deal and bought the place. They set out pine seedlings, rake pine straw for sale to land scape cos. And work in all the stinking chicken plants.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
You haven't been to the chicken factories in Southern Delaware, my friend.
That's not manufacturing and it's not going offshore.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #40
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
If those jobs that Americans don't want to do were in Mexico, then the Mexicans would have no reason to move to the US. This point is constantly put before Lookout123. As usual, he just ignores it. And yet wolf has exactly stated the point.

Why not then let US sugar industries move to Mexico? Because as long as labor intensive jobs such as sugar growing remain in the US, then the US government pays for 50% of the cost of that sugar on your table. Those who profit are those who receive corporate welfare. Sugar grown in the US is subsidized that much. In LA, that state even paid for the construction of a surgar reprocessing plant. (Some states instead subsidized professional ball players). Corporate welfare again - for an industry that would move to where the workers are if free market conditions applied. Problem is cutting off welfare from industries that spend so much on buying politicians. Sugar being one of the largest legal politician purchasers in this nation.

How to stop the illegal immigrant problem? Stop subsidizing sugar and a few other 'made rich by the government' agricultural industries. Then the labor intensive jobs move to where the people are who want to do those jobs. Unfortunately, the US government instead pays many labor intensive industries to remain in the US where labor is no longer available to do those jobs.

Lookout123 instead foolishly thinks putting the 82nd Airborne on the borders (and other brute force methods) will stop the problem. Bull crappin' Bible. A major reason for illegal immigration is that many industries massively subsidized by the American government then need illegals to perform work. People are only going where the jobs are because free market forces no longer apply.

What two nations are most anti-free trade when it comes to agriculture? The US and France. Even numerous WTO rulings on agriculture are against the US because of so much corporate welfare to big American industries such as US Sugar. Administering Sugar Imports

Funny. Even the WTO wants to solve the US illegal immigrant problem. Cut off government subsidizes. Eliminate tarrifs designed only to enrich and protect big sugar industry fat cats. Then jobs currently filled by illegal immigrants will instead move to where those immigrants reside. No more corporate welfare. Massive reduction in the illegal immigrant problem. Lookout123 is silenced. Three problems solved by one solution.

Last edited by tw; 05-22-2005 at 12:33 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The reason sugar is subsidized is that it is a necessary commodity in war time.
Therefore in the interest of the country not to have it under the control of a foreign power during say...the Spanish American War.