The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #31
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
If it is something you talk about, why atheism over agnosticism? I'm actually reading my third book in a row on Buddism. So far, I find it very healthy for the individual but have some concern that the society that develops from it may lack the drive to improve. This may just be from my cursory reading of it so far, though, and not a valid criticism.
Agnosticism is probably a more accurate term, the fact is that if I have to make a statement I do not believe in a sentient "God".
However, personally, I do not spend any energy on it. There is just too much to deal with in the here and now. What happens next does not matter.
Either you do your best to be the best human you can be now or you do not, either way it just does not matter.
If there happens to be the very unlikely event of a "God" that wants me to "worship" them and do things "in their name" they can kiss my ass, for more reasons than I care to list and that anyone with any intelligence can figure out on their own. But, even with Christianity, I feel that that has been taken out of context... Biblically, we have free will and are here on our own, period. Though that is just a fun story for me. The study of religions is a hobby for me, nothing more.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:30 AM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One of the surprising revelations of the Lost Gospel of Judas (as I recall the news stories, haven't read the text myself) was that Judas only did what he was asked by Jesus to do. Whether or not this text is authentic, without the betrayal, the Crucifixion would not have occured, and my European forebears would have been able to go along happily worshipping their own Gods.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #33
Novae
Art may imitate life, but life imitates T.V.

I remember watching something about that, a special on the apocryphal books of the Bible. That's something else I don't like about the organized Christianity, the fact that a certain group of people defined the knowledge available. Who knows if Judas was trying to absolve himself from blame he didn't deserve?
Novae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #34
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
the fact that a certain group of people defined the knowledge available
Yep. But, that seems to be a pattern with organised religions generally (particularly those which have at any time been 'State religions'), it appears to be a part of the process by which a religion becomes powerful and widespread.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #35
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I'm pretty sure the Bible says that what damned Judas was that he killed himself instead of repenting for what he did. The point being that even the worst among trators are not beyond the chance for redemption. He just didn't take it.