The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #31
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dean
I think Tom DeLay ought to go back to Houston, where he can serve his jail sentence down there courtesy of the Texas taxpayers.
However.....
Quote:
I've resisted pronouncing a sentence before guilt is found. I still have this old-fashioned notion that even with people like Osama, who is very likely to be found guilty, we should do our best not to, in positions of executive power, not to prejudge jury trials.
Hm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dean, medical physician
(mocking imitation of Rush Limbaugh snorting drugs)
very doctoral of you.

Quote:
I hate Republicans
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
A lot of them have never made an honest living in their lives.
Ted Kennedy and his fellow trustfund babies have?

Quote:
It's pretty much a white, Christian party
and
Quote:
I consider myself a deeply religious person. I consider myself a Christian...you either believe in the teachings of Jesus or you don't. I do. And I'm not ashamed to admit it.

That's in the last month or so. He's ramping up the bullshit to make headlines, and is in no way, shape or form a leader. He is, however, the downfall of the Democratic party.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #32
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

So I guess the first one is the closest to untrue. And I'll agree. Dean should give at least as much benefit of the doubt to DeLay as he did to bin Laden.

And what's the contradiction and/or mistruth in the last two quotes?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #33
mrnoodle
bent

You know the drug thing was a cheap shot, and untrue (he's a pill popper)

The "Republicans don't work for a living" thing is also a cheap shot, and untrue. It's part of his playing to "Democrats with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks", which, like the other statements I quoted, fall under the "hateful" category for numerous reasons that you're smart enough to figure out, so fertheloveofpete stop nitpicking and instead tell me whether Dean is nuts, pure mean, or what.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #34
Happy Monkey

I responded to the honest living quote above. And, I gotta say that the first time I heard Republican officials consider the Confederate flag offensive was in response to Dean's comment.

And the Limbaugh thing isn't nitpicking?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsplice
Unfortunately, I'm starting to see it (hear it, whatever) on Air America, and it is really irritating.
They are just starting to run out of topic.

Air America is really irritating all by itself, actually.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #36
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

The only news I get a chance to watch is the national news while I'm on the eliptical at the gym....it does help the time pass but it is usually pretty dull. Very rarely watch the local news although I read this morning that a 20 year old man in CT had too much to drink and stole a small Cessna plane and took two of his buds for a joy ride! DUH! When he some how landed safely at Westchester airport where the airport security met him and opened up the door a unusual amount of beer cans fell from the plane!

As for the Aruba story....white, blonde and blue eyed. Enough said.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #37
jaguar
whig

I hope this thread has demonstrated to a few more people why noodle takes the pedestal of fuckwittery.

Dean was assassintated by the media for showing emotion. I don't know which bit of the whole thing is saddest.

I find BBCNews24 still quite good, they occasionally get a bit carried away with tabloid stuff like the FA cap sex scandal crap but in general they're much better than CNN, Fox, Sky24 etc. You get the media you pay for, get the financial papers, the more expensive dailies and you get real news and issues that don't make it in the main ones, all media has bais but some is more transparent than others. Avoid anything by Murdoch, if you want to see why look at the Times before and after.

You have to admire the republican party in a way, there's something so utterly shameless about pandering to 'cultural' issues and then getting away with fucking the very people that voted for them long and hard while in office.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #38
mrnoodle
bent

I'm sorry, jaguar, did I misquote Dr. Dean? In which instance?

The confederate flag quote is actually the most revealing one. The left has made a 40-year career out of making minorities and the poor dependent on big government, and has no real empathy for them. All they are is a voting bloc as far as Democrats are concerned. Dean's actually being quite honest on that count -- he knows they have the black vote tied up, now he wants the racist vote too.

Which fucks over people more? Making them dependent on handouts and programs or fostering an environment in which businesses are actually able to pay better wages and benefits?

Dean wasn't "assassintated" by anyone, he's committing political suicide in front of the whole world, and dragging the Democrats over the cliff with him.

And I'm afraid that the vaunted Pedestal of Fuckwittery is reserved for people who make constant personal jabs at others who are just voicing their opinion. Not enough room for me up there unless you move over, or at least prick that grossly inflated head of yours and let some air out.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #39
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
The confederate flag quote is actually the most revealing one. The left has made a 40-year career out of making minorities and the poor dependent on big government, and has no real empathy for them. All they are is a voting bloc as far as Democrats are concerned. Dean's actually being quite honest on that count -- he knows they have the black vote tied up, now he wants the racist vote too.
Actually, he's being quite honest that the Democratic party has pretty much given up on the rural South, and doesn't even try anymore. He plans to change that, and start campaigning thoughout the country.
Quote:
Which fucks over people more? Making them dependent on handouts and programs or fostering an environment in which businesses are actually able to pay better wages and benefits?
The economy is consistently better under Democrats. And one goal of Republican lawmakers is to allow businesses to pay lower wages and benefits.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #40
mrnoodle
bent

Are you referring to the economy of Jimmy Carter, or the economy of Bill Clinton after the Republicans took control of Congress in 94?

I'll bite. Which law is designed to allow businesses to pay lower wages and benefits? This is so tiring. So many people to starve, and so little time. My folks got their social security check last month, so we've failed there. And Medicare covered a big chunk of our friend's shoulder replacement. Damn.

The kids haven't had school lunches in a couple weeks, since school has been out, so I don't know if we've finally eliminated those or not. But I saw some Mexicans doing yardwork for a white guy this morning, so at least they're still under our thumb. Oh shit. How'd THEY get in here?

I can't believe how many people actually believe that's really what lawmakers are thinking. This business about the Dems looking out for the little guy while the Republicans only care about lowering taxes on the rich is an absolute relic, and I can't wait for it to self-destruct. More Howard Dean, please! I like watching the left implode.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #41
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
--whack--This business about the Dems looking out for the little guy while the Republicans only care about lowering taxes on the rich is an absolute relic, and I can't wait for it to self-destruct.
I hope you're patient, cause you're in for a long wait.

For me, the party labels are of secondary consideration at best. I'll give substantially more weight to an individual's actions and words. Interestingly, whenever I notice an effort to lower the taxes on the rich, say our current estate tax system, the people trying to make it happen identify themselves as republicans.

Republican credo:* "...government by the <strike>people</strike> rich, for the <strike>people</strike> rich, by the <strike>people </strike> rich, plus anybody we can trick into doing our work for us..."

* edited for clarity

I have more, but the subject sickens me too much to continue now.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #42
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Are you referring to the economy of Jimmy Carter, or the economy of Bill Clinton after the Republicans took control of Congress in 94?
Here's a reference.
Quote:
I'll bite. Which law is designed to allow businesses to pay lower wages and benefits? This is so tiring. So many people to starve, and so little time. My folks got their social security check last month, so we've failed there. And Medicare covered a big chunk of our friend's shoulder replacement. Damn.
Programs that Democrats champion and Republicans denigrate, Social Security, Medicare, the minimum wage, labor laws, overtime. These programs are so popular that the Republicans have trouble making headway against them, and you use that failure to claim that Republicans actually support them?
Quote:
This business about the Dems looking out for the little guy while the Republicans only care about lowering taxes on the rich is an absolute relic, and I can't wait for it to self-destruct.
Maybe if the Republicans sided with the little guy once in a while, they could do something about that.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #43
mrnoodle
bent

That's another relic, man. This class warfare garbage is just that -- garbage. When a group of people bears 90 percent of the tax burden, they are obviously going to benefit from any tax break more than the group that only bears 10 percent of the burden. This idea that the rich are taking a bigger piece of a pie and leaving only crumbs for the less fortunate is false, false, false. The rich are that way because they made the pie bigger, not because they penny-ante'd some welfare mom's check from her. The left has completely convinced a big chunk of the population that the only way people become wealthy is if they steal government lucre from the poor.

It's untrue, false, a lie, bullshit, garbage, and otherwise incorrect. Taxing the rich as punishment for their success is counterproductive and for that matter, doesn't improve the quality of life for the poor one whit. That money doesn't go to the poor, it goes to the government, who spends it on bloated pork-ridden nonsense. Both parties.

edit: this was responding to BigV. HM beat me to the post button. Again.

Minimum wage? What good does raising the minimum wage do? No one can live on it anyway. Instead, take the burden off of businesses so that they can create better paying jobs. I suppose raising the minimum wage helps someone who works at fast food or as a farm laborer, but if that's the only goal someone has in life, they shouldn't expect to be paid $30 an hour for it. Some jobs are just low-paying. That's not my fault.

Last edited by mrnoodle; 06-23-2005 at 01:03 PM.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #44
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
Minimum wage? What good does raising the minimum wage do? No one can live on it anyway. Instead, take the burden off of businesses so that they can create better paying jobs. I suppose raising the minimum wage helps someone who works at fast food or as a farm laborer, but if that's the only goal someone has in life, they shouldn't expect to be paid $30 an hour for it. Some jobs are just low-paying. That's not my fault.
There is nothing more stupid than a Republican that earns less than 150K per year.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #45
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Minimum wage? What good does raising the minimum wage do? No one can live on it anyway.
Hmmm. I wonder... How can I combine sentences two and three?
|_______________| [pics]