The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #31
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
If there was a local starfaring people, we would already have been enslaved or colonized.

... But we already have!
Old 03-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #32
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Beest, if there was acceleration on an object, and no resistance, ie. vaccuum, the object WOULD continue to incease it's speed until it collided with something, or came under gravity's pull.
Not quite. For accelleration, there needs to be a continual force. Velocity remains constant in the absence of outside forces, not acceleration.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i'm not a physics prof, but i thought that if an object in motion was not encountering any contrary action, then the motion would continue as it is. including a state of acceleration. if it's gaining speed, and there's nothing to slow it down, why would it stop gaining speed?

one of you bookworms has to know this.

on third thought, as i re-read my point, why would it continue to gain speed if there was nothing adding further impetus?

so, then, why ARE these galaxies increasing in speed?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #34
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Not quite. For accelleration, there needs to be a continual force.
I think it needs to be an increasing force: constant force produces constant velocity and resistance is not relevant to the phenomenon itself but merely its magnitute. And that is what is a little unsettling to me. What force at that distance grows stronger?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #35
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
i'm not a physics prof, but i thought that if an object in motion was not encountering any contrary action, then the motion would continue as it is. including a state of acceleration.
Accelleration cannot occur in the absence of an outside force. The absence of resistance is not sufficient to create accelleration and would, in fact, violate Newton's 2nd law (inertia: objects at rest/motion tend to stay that way- motion being constant velocity in this case).
Old 03-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #36
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
I think it needs to be an increasing force: constant force produces constant velocity and resistance is not relevant to the phenomenon itself but merely its magnitute.
No, constant force produces constant accelleration. Zero force produces constant velocity.

If a spaceship in deep space stops firing its engine, it will not stop. It will just stop accelerating. To stop, it would need to fire the engine in the opposite direction.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #37
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by noodles
u click the button, and the space shuttle whistles off.

Then it whistles back, and with pictures.

And then everybody sees those pictures.

And no one challenges those pics, since they've never been there.
Are you saying they're faked?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:57 PM   #38
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
I think it needs to be an increasing force: constant force produces constant velocity and resistance is not relevant to the phenomenon itself but merely its magnitute. And that is what is a little unsettling to me. What force at that distance grows stronger?
PURE CONJECTURE:

suppose the object was moving through our local space, which, while relative to our atmoshpere is a vaccuum, is not a pure vaccuum. as these galaxies travel into deeper space, the vaccuum may be more PURE. therefore, the relative resistance to it's motion is less, causing a PERCEIVED acceleration as these objects encounter increasingly less resistance.

??

who's the physicist? belesteiri?

bruce probably knows. he knows EVERYTHING!
Old 03-10-2004, 03:53 PM   #39
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
so, then, why ARE these galaxies increasing in speed?
Many answers have been offered including dark matter. But to really understand this effect, we must better understand Quantum effects. Newtonian and Einstein physics have only taken us so far. Both were early attempts at explaining gravity. They don't explain the relationships between gravity and other universal forces. A unified theory is necessary to explain those other forces. Ten dimensional string theory may have recently gone farther to explain how the various forms of energy and matter interplay.

But currently, we don't know which way to look. Is the acceleration due to matter or energy we don't know about - the dark matter? Or do we first need to better learn quantum physics. In quantum physics, we are only about where Newton was in understanding Newtonian gravity - the stuff taught in high school physics. A not so veiled comment about (and again) why we needed the super collider.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #40
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

was this just your fancy way of saying, "uh, i dunno?"

or are you saying that no-one knows?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:09 PM   #41
Happy Monkey

Quote:
suppose the object was moving through our local space, which, while relative to our atmoshpere is a vaccuum, is not a pure vaccuum. as these galaxies travel into deeper space, the vaccuum may be more PURE. therefore, the relative resistance to it's motion is less, causing a PERCEIVED acceleration as these objects encounter increasingly less resistance.
I'm a Comp-Sci major, math minor, but if I had a sub-minor, it would be physics.

There are several issues with that. First, the diminishment of resistance doesn't speed anything up unless there is a force pushing through the resistance. If something moving in space enters an area with zero resistance, it will continue moving at the speed at which it entered. Second, I greatly doubt that interstellar particles would produce a measurable effect on the acceleration of galaxies. Third, as far as I understand, galaxies aren't actually expanding into an area of empty space. Space itself is expanding, including the space between galaxies. I'm not well versed enough to explain it, so look here. Of course, this theory allows for a universe which curves back on itself, which would explain the seemingly infinite number of galaxies the further away we look.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #42
Pi
desperate finder

What the fuck...
Can't we just look up to the stars and enjoy the feeling of being tiny and unimportant considering these enorm distances?
Come back to earth and see the world with better eyes, stop bothering and be happy?

That's what I think seing these pictures...
Old 03-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #43
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sure we could, pi, but that doesn;t leave much room for impressing each other with the profundity of our thoughts.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #44
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
sure we could, pi, but that doesn;t leave much room for impressing each other with the profundity of our thoughts.

oh my god, i'm turning into xoxoxobruce!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #45
wolf
lobber of scimitars

No, you're still confusing the ; for the '

We know you're you.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote