The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #31
Cloud

I turned out all the lights; left my computer in sleep mode 'cause of some problems it's having; read on my iphone. It was kinda fun. But no one around me did it. I'm sure if I lived someplace like Portland (forgot to call BD#1) there would be more participation.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My computer and TV stayed on. All the lights were already off because they almost always are if I can help it (hate bright lights except sunshine) and I had candles going. I didn't peek outside to see if anyone around me was participating, but I doubt it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #33
glatt

My wife wanted to participate, and I wanted to watch the DVD we got from Netflix. I finally wore her down. We watched the DVD on our new energy efficient LCD tv by the light of a single compact fluorescent bulb.

All the houses around us had their lights on.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Al Gore turned off most of the lights in his house, but forgot the spotlights on his trees and mansion entrance:

Quote:
I pulled up to Al’s house, located in the posh Belle Meade section of Nashville, at 8:48pm – right in the middle of Earth Hour. I found that the main spotlights that usually illuminate his 9,000 square foot mansion were dark, but several of the lights inside the house were on.

In fact, most of the windows were lit by the familiar blue-ish hue indicating that floor lamps and ceiling fixtures were off, but TV screens and computer monitors were hard at work. (In other words, his house looked the way most houses look about 1:45am when their inhabitants are distractedly watching “Cheaters” or “Chelsea Lately” reruns.)

The kicker, though, were the dozen or so floodlights grandly highlighting several trees and illuminating the driveway entrance of Gore’s mansion.

I shit you not, my friends, the savior of the environment couldn’t be bothered to turn off the gaudy lights that show off his goofy trees.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #35
lookout123
changed his status to single

I had friends over and we were chilling by the backyard fireplace. of course the kids were in the house with the lights on playing video games. except for the ones out front in playing soccer in the cul-de-sac with the dewalt spot lights on.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #36
Cloud

It's earth hour tonight, March 27! Turn off your lights for one hour starting at 8:30
to support the World Wildlife Fund's efforts to highlight the problem of climate change.

Quote:
On Earth Hour hundreds of millions of people around the world will come together to call for action on climate change by doing something quite simple—turning off their lights for one hour. The movement symbolizes that by working together, each of us can make a positive impact in this fight, protecting our future and that of future generations.

http://www.myearthhour.org/about

I did it last year, and I'll do it again tonight. How 'bout you?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I will be supplementing the lack of lights on in the house tonight with a giant ass bonfire made with pallets at my buddy's house. A giant smokey middle finger rising into the evening sky. How romantic.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #38
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'm so cheap that every hour is earth hour at my house.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #39
monster
I hear them call the tide

8:30 which time zone? or was it a rolling blackout? I was cleaning. I needed light. Banana lady arrives Weds.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #40
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

OOOPS! I forgot. Erase this message when you read it.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #41
Cloud

Earth Hour tomorrow, March 26! Turn off the lights at 8:30 pm where you are!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #42
monster
I hear them call the tide

NO WAI! Banana lady is due again.... I need to clean..... Can we reschedule earth hour for some other weekend when I couldn't care less? like Christmas or something?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So you would rather it be sometime when you could ignore it, without the good excuse you now have?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #44
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That's pretty stong correlation there, Monster, I'm starting to wonder if Earth Hour causes the appearance of Banana lady. Monitor for next year, and keep us informed.