The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: When it is all over and done with, how would you like to go?
Burial 5 10.64%
Cremation 23 48.94%
Promession (see post text) 5 10.64%
Chemical Digestion (see post text) 0 0%
Other 14 29.79%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #31
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm with Glatt - I carry a Donor card so they'll hopefully take whatever is useful. Then it's up to whoever is around to dispose of me.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #32
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune

Very interesting! If you do prefer cremation, is there any reason why you'd rather have it than burial? Expense? The idea of "returning to the land"?
I dislike the idea of rotting away in a box 6 feet under. even though i understand that i wont feel it, it's still nasty. better to have done, and move on, give something back if you can. if the freeze drying thing is accessible when i kick it, i think i like that even more than cremation. seems like the nutrients would be more helpful unburned. less stinky, too i expect.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #33
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Burn my dead ass up !!! I don't want any body to have to try and come up with the thousands of dollars it takes to plant a body ,
as I said cremate me , put my ashes in a straw hat , go to a certin place on a certin river( those who need to know , know where it is ) , light the hat , float it down stream and pop open a beer for the memorys .
Say a few words if you want to .
That is all .

ashes to ashes ,
dust to dust ,
from wents we came,
we shall return .
Old 01-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #34
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

There's sort of a running joke in the ceramics studio about how it'd be cool to make an urn for yourself, be cremated, and have somebody turn you into an <a href="http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/ecolodge/25/glazes.htm">ash glaze</a> (<a href="http://www.aquariusartgallery.com/Dec2004/IMG_6967.JPG">img</a>) to put on the outside of the urn.

A bit more hands-after-death-on than the whole diamond thing, I'd say.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #35
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

I choose cremation. I hate the idea of being stuffed in a box six feet under. I prefer to leave little as possible behind, and I like the idea of cleansing by fire.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks
There's sort of a running joke in the ceramics studio about how it'd be cool to make an urn for yourself, be cremated, and have somebody turn you into an <a href="http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/ecolodge/25/glazes.htm">ash glaze</a> (<a href="http://www.aquariusartgallery.com/Dec2004/IMG_6967.JPG">img</a>) to put on the outside of the urn.
Damn. I'm going to have to suggest that to a friend of mine who is a potter that happens to really like that technique.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent
That's how Harold met Maude.
One of my all time favorite films.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #38
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I imagine I won't notice what happens to my earthly remains. I would like to be recycled, though. Throw my body to the wild critters on the Uncomphaghre Plateau, or at least my ashes to give a little additional nitrogen to the sage brush out there.
Seconded.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #39
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks

A bit more hands-after-death-on than the whole diamond thing, I'd say.

You missed the bit about the bisque fire in the cremation furnace.....
Old 01-22-2006, 01:16 AM   #40
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
If you do prefer cremation, is there any reason why you'd rather have it than burial? Expense? The idea of "returning to the land"?
I've made it clear to mine that I do not want to be buried. I've suggested lifegem but will leave it to them. While lifegem can make diamonds from cremated remains, they don't use all the ashes leaving some for distribution in a meaningful place.

I just think its the height of human selfishness to tie up a peice of earth for all eternity just to house a lousy skeleton. I understand burial and respect the idea of having a place to pay one's respects but there should be a moratorium on how long you can tie up that patch of earth. If no one alive knows who you were, then maybe its time to surrender the claim.

If I had to decide now, I'd go for three diamonds with the rest being scattered in the small town in France where I made my debut.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #41
simlingcynic
Kinda New Member

Promession sounds good, but if I can't afford that I either want them to leave me where I lay or shoot me out of a cannon into the sea.
simlingcynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Hiya, simling.

The darndest thoughts get people to post, don't they?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #43
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm thinking that if i got to go the way i wanted (non-opening chute - what a rush) the choices listed are kind of irrelevant. if i live long enough to go from natural causes then cremation.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:28 AM   #44
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i'm thinking that if i got to go the way i wanted (non-opening chute - what a rush)
Ah, the ol' Sudden Decelleration Injury. Me like.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #45
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

...dead...
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote