The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #31
Juniper
I know, right?

Seriously. This SUCKS. I've now taken AVG back off again. I'm not running anything except IE or Firefox, Thunderbird and Word. I need to fix this. I have work to do and I cannot work like this, it is driving me bonkers. My computer is running slower than it was before I started messing with it.

OK, you want to know what I have, here it is. I'm just going to type in what it says on the label on the front of the tower because I used to know what all this meant but apparently my brain cells aren't firing like they used to, either.

emachines T3104
AMD Sempron Processor 3100+
1.80 ghz
1600 mhz fsb
256 kb L2 cache

256 MB DDR SDRAM

Running XP

YES I know I need more memory, but I'm not adding any if the machine isn't worthy of it, KWIM?

On top of it all, my flat-screen monitor croaked a couple weeks ago and I'm using an ancient 14".

Oh, and the CD/DVD drawer doesn't pop out all the time anymore, sometimes it needs a little cajoling.

SOMEONE may be getting an early Christmas present, from herself!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
YES I know I need more memory, but I'm not adding any if the machine isn't worthy of it, KWIM?
Not at these prices! 1GB of Kingston memory suitable for the emachines T3104: $21.49 plus shipping

That'll solve your problem right there. The applications have gotten bigger while your memory has stayed the same.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #33
Juniper
I know, right?

OK, UT. I'll go buy me some memory. Thanks for looking it up for me. I just thought it was weird that it suddenly started acting this way.

Now can you help me figure out why I have only some, not all graphics in Firefox? (sigh)
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If it's slow enough, the system may time out waiting to fetch those graphics.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #35
Juniper
I know, right?

Everything looks right in MSIE. Of course I want to use Firefox because it has much better add-ons.

As an example...say, on this site, I can see everything except the background colors. On google, I can see the search box, but not the "google" above it. On some sites I can't see the buttons to submit forms, which makes it interesting, because I have to sort of wave the pointer around till it turns into a hand and hope I'm clicking "submit" and not "self destruct" or something.

Photos I can see. Certain graphic elements, I cannot, and I can't figure out the pattern to it because things work on one site (buttons, etc.) and not others.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #36
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Seriously. This SUCKS. I've now taken AVG back off again. ... My computer is running slower than it was before I started messing with it.
More labor wasted because, again, ignored is the best advise posted - three points in post 4. UT defined how cheap memory is. However had you done those three points long ago (stop wasting time with anti-virus games, etc), then you would have known how cheap memory was AND ... ignore point three at serious risk.

It is an eMachine. Some type of 1 gigabyte memory does not work in some eMachine systems. A problem that does not exist in machines from responsible manufacturers. Provided in post 4, point 3 was had a hperlink to crucial.com. Executed that immediately so that UT did not have to post a price and so that you don't get the wrong type of 1 Gb memory and so that ... you don't yet know how important that post was in getting a solution fast and the first time.

Be cautious with eMachine. It should be screaming fast and (if not eMachine) then would execute even faster. But eMachines is designed by cost a controller - not innovators - which is also why you must be extra careful (sometimes) when buying memory. That eMachine will only scream - not do what it really could have done.

How poor are eMachine designed? Minimum size for memory in any machine of that date especially when using XP - 512 Mb. Yours only has 256? Do you also buy GM cars? Appreciate why eMachines, on the bottom line, actually cost more money. However we have what we have. So stop stifling useful replies.

Post 4 has three points. Meet all if you want the next post to create results.

Second and third points in post 4 made most all previous posts unnecessary. How to get useful answers the next time. Post 4 point 2 describes using Task Manager. Since anything in Task Manger makes no sense to you, then it is probably THE fact that gets a solution, when posted here.

Described is what to look at and then post here. CPU time and Memory Delta. Had you done that, then wasting time with MacAfee, et al would have never happened.

Still not described: what software you want to execute. You want a fix? Three points in post 4 are about knowing what is wrong long before fixing anything. Trying to fix something on wild speculation, as you have been doing (which is why you are frustrated), is how to waste time AND sometimes makes problems even worse. Click on any underlined hyperlink such as post 4. Then report back what all three points are asking ... but only if you want the next post to be helpful, and if you want to stop wasting time, and if you want to avoid frustration.

Want frustration? Then don't execute that crucial.com hyperlink. I don't want to post "I told you so". You may need to know more than just buying that memory.

Last edited by tw; 12-10-2008 at 09:08 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #37
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
point 2 describes using Task Manager. Since anything in Task Manger makes no sense to you, then it is probably THE fact that gets a solution, when posted here.

Described is what to look at and then post here. CPU time and Memory Delta.
If you think that Task Manager supplies the answer, then you should explain what Task Manager is, and how to find it. Perhaps the original poster (and the lurkers you often write for) don't know that you find Task Manager by holding down the Ctrl-Alt-Delete keys at the same time and selecting Task Manager from the options offered. It's not obvious. Either you happen to know it, or you don't. I can imagine someone browsing around the programs or the control panel, not seeing this so called "Task Manager" and thinking you are full of BS. Just out of curiosity, I opened my own Task Manager, and don't see anything called "CPU Time" or "Memory Delta." There is lots of CPU and Memory information there, but those specific terms don't exist in my version of XP.

If you are going to write a long post about the problem, why don't you write a long post with specific instructions? You said "Task Manger makes no sense to you," so you obviously believe that the person asking the question doesn't know a lot about computers. Make it a little easier. Pretend you are a teacher. Explain step by step what to do and why.

You devote a lot of time to answering these "computer help needed" threads, so I assume you are genuinely interesting in helping out. Those of us with limited computer knowledge love to have this stuff explained with detailed instructions and explanations.

Instead of your post 4
Quote:
What is the objective? To make it faster? First, most of what you did does not address that objective.

Not stated is what needs more power. Second, two bottlenecks are CPU and memory. To alleviate stress on both, find and eliminate as many other processes as possible. Start with Task Manager. Two important numbers are CPU time and Memory Delta. Any process that is consuming too much CPU time might be eliminated. Any unnecessary process with numerous Memory Deltas, when eliminated, should permit that main program to run faster.

And finally, third, go to www.crucial.com to run the memory scanner. Learn how much memory can be installed, how much more might be purchased, memory type, and prices.
You might have tried something like this instead:

Quote:
The next time you experience this slowness, hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time. Select "Task Manager" from the options. In Task Manager, click on the "Processes" tab and look at the list of processes there. This list shows everything that your computer is doing, and how much memory is devoted to each one. Look down the list at the memory used for each process, and make note of anything using over, say, 10,000K of memory. Report those results back to us. Next, click on the Task Manager tab for "Performance." Look at the box at the bottom for "Physical Memory" and tell us what the "total" and "available" amounts are. Also at the left is a fluctiating bar that shows CPU usage as a percentage. What value does that show?

After you give us this information, we can help you find unnecessary processes that can be eliminated to speed up your machine.

You should also go to www.crucial.com to run the memory scanner. Learn how much memory can be installed, how much more might be purchased, memory type, and prices.
Of course, I'm not a computer guru, so some of that suggested quote may be bad advice, but you get the idea.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #38
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Very nice, glatt. That's a good example of how to give directions.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #39
lookout123
changed his status to single

advice not taken by the poster is in evidence clearly throughout the cellar. if not so stupid as to buy GM and support GW point would already be common knowledge. 85% $20 says TW is the posts what he thinks is a scathing indictment of glatt's intelligence in the next 30 minutes.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #40
Juniper
I know, right?

FWIW, I do very well know about Task Manager. And many other operations.

And no, I do not have a GM car. Sheesh. Perhaps you think buying an eMachines was stupid, but what you don't know is that I got it for $100 brand new and it has worked fine for me for three years without even popping the cover. Not so stupid after all, huh?

There is no need to be insulting.

Lookout, I don't know where the hell that came from. Thanks a bunch.

Dammit, I'm sorry I asked.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #41
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Heh...I was just thinking that a person who is contemplating building her own pc probably has a clue about the three fingered salute and task manager.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #42
lookout123

OK, i missed the 30 minute mark, but to be fair TW was replying to this thread before he logged off to complete his mom's to do list.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #43
Shawnee123

You can mail me the 20.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #44
lookout123

Go check you mailbox. Right now. Go.

Not there? Check behind your ear. Go ahead.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #45
Shawnee123

I found it! Thanks buddy!