The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #31
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

That's why all my supplies are up in trees.

just sayin.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Actually, it'll keep you busy digging for them, instead of just standing around.
Seriously though, how and where you stash your emergency gear, takes some thought.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #33
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I recently bought an emergency radio from the Red Cross when they were on campus for a safety event. It has a flashlight, a radio, of course, and a plug for cell phone charging. It works with a little crank.

But I've never really thought about being in an emergency situation. I think I should have, at least, some water and canned goods somewhere. My bare cabinets wouldn't get me far in an emergency.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #34
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You know, this is a good reminder. When the shit hits the fan, whether bum fuck Haiti, or Peoria, Illinois, you best be prepared to take care of yourself, at least survive, for a week or more. It takes that long for governments and large organizations to get up to speed.
Yeah.

So what do you do if you're so poor you can't feed your family today, let alone for some unspecified week in the future?
Quote:
Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere with 80% of the population living under the poverty line and 54% in abject poverty.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #35
Shawnee123

Are you saying that, since poor people can't be prepared for natural disaster, none of us should be?

I don't think Bruce was saying these folks should have been prepared, I think he was saying that those of us who can be prepared should think about it.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
So what do you do if you're so poor you can't feed your familytoday, let alone for some unspecified week in the future?
You die... bubye.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #37
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I recently bought an emergency radio from the Red Cross when they were on campus for a safety event. It has a flashlight, a radio, of course, and a plug for cell phone charging. It works with a little crank.

But I've never really thought about being in an emergency situation. I think I should have, at least, some water and canned goods somewhere. My bare cabinets wouldn't get me far in an emergency.
Don't forget any pets you may have either. I have a stash of canned foods for my cats just in case.

PS Although I can't really imagine any natural disaster happening in the 4 Corners. We don't rest on any fault zones; a hurricane would never make it this far inland; We are on top of a mesa surrounded by desert, so floods are out. It would have to be a freak snowstorm that went on for days or the Navajos finally getting fed up and going for seccesion.

Last edited by SamIam; 01-15-2010 at 11:41 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #38
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
I don't think Bruce was saying these folks should have been prepared
That's exactly how I read his statement -- it's their own fault if they don't have supplies to ride out this disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You die... bubye.
See?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No dummy, I wasn't talking about them, I was talking about us. If you have an internet connection, you can damn well afford to make some preparations for an emergency where you have to be self sufficient for a week or more. :p
Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #40
Shawnee123

And if we stock some extra, we might be able to help a neighbor. Many of my neighbors are old folks on fixed incomes.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're all set then. With all those old folks around, you can just steal their shit while they're in the bathroom... unless they've got flowmax or something.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #42
Shawnee123

Nooo, they're all so sweet and friendly!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #43
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Guess we need to send boats with aid. Big boats with lotso little boats that can land on the beaches, ect, to ferret stuff and people back and forth.
Big boats are out - the port is unusable. The US military is trying to send stuff in using amphibious vehicles and helicopters.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #44
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Nooo, they're all so sweet and friendly!
Are you saving them to be your survival rations? Yum, yum, yum?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #45
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Don't forget any pets you may have either. I have a stash of canned foods for my cats just in case.

PS Although I can't really imagine any natural disaster happening in the 4 Corners. We don't rest on any fault zones; a hurricane would never make it this far inland; We are on top of a mesa surrounded by desert, so floods are out. It would have to be a freak snowstorm that went on for days or the Navajos finally getting fed up and going for seccesion.

You know pretty lovely Yellowstone? That awesome tourist attraction with the really neat mud pools and geysers?

Its a super volcano. HUGE well of lava storing up underneath. If that thing blows (or any of the other super volcanos around the world blow), we're all pretty well fucked. If Yellowstone blows, the North American continent is especially fucked. I believe Yellowstone is very past-due on its regular eruption.