The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #391
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Some cool dirt ...

What the Bleep is basically a recruiting film for the Ramtha cult.

And has nothing to do with Quantum Mechanics.

At least one of the speakers has been declared as sort of a heretic by the Ramtha organization, and a couple of the real scientists they interviewed were sold a bill of goods as far as how their interviews would be used, what type of film was being made, etc.

Dude at work is a cult exit counsellor and filled me in on all kinds of goodies.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #392
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Snakes on a Plane--B-movie extraordinaire...forget everything you think you know about snakes and planes, and enjoy it. Maybe have a few cocktails beforehand.

Scoop--your typical Woody Allen fare. The only thing I didn't like about it was being reminded of a rumor that Scarlett Johanssen and Mr. Allen were romantically involved...eww.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 AM   #393
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Luther - Joseph Fiennes oozes angst, but it's a pretty decent overview of the 95 theses, first vernacular Bible, and a lot of charges of heresey. Neat film.

Portrait of Hell - Japanese, 1969. Interesting interplay of light and shadow, both in the human psyche and in the director's vision of how the story should be told. Freaky.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #394
glatt

Just rented Fight Club for the first time. The title had always put me off. I'm not into gratuitous violence at all. And I always thought it was supposed to be some sort of brutal and creepy movie.

But I kept hearing good reviews for it, so my wife and I finally watched it over the weekend.

Well, if you've seen it, you already know that it's a great movie. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it this weekend.

We saw it on Saturday night, and I'm still thinking about it on Monday afternoon.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #395
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I loved Fight Club. Thought it was well-constructed and followed the book fairly well. The book is much creepier. After that, read everything else Chuck Pahalnuik (or however you spell it) has ever written. Brilliant. Awesomely brilliant.

My latest was a Double Feature of Hercules and the Amazon Women and Hercules and the Lost Kingdom.

I got hoodwinked. From the Netflix description it was supposed to be the Xena spinoff episodes, instead Lucy Lawless had a small part in the first one, and Renee O'Connor was the female lead in the second.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #396
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I've been watching some Simpsons DVDs my brother got me, and some he got himself. Did you know that Milhouse's debut was a Butterfinger commercial?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #397
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Whoever said Bubba Ho-tep was a good movie is a damned dirty liar.

That thing should have been 20 minutes long, tops. SO INCREDIBLY BORING.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #398
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Just rented Fight Club for the first time. The title had always put me off. I'm not into gratuitous violence at all. And I always thought it was supposed to be some sort of brutal and creepy movie.

But I kept hearing good reviews for it, so my wife and I finally watched it over the weekend.

Well, if you've seen it, you already know that it's a great movie. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it this weekend.

We saw it on Saturday night, and I'm still thinking about it on Monday afternoon.
+1 Think I'll watch Fight Club tonight. I wish I had Arlington Road on DVD, too.

I bought that Black Dahlia movie and didn't much care for it, really. It didn't live up to my expectations in any sense. Recently I've also watched The Four Feathers, Gattaca for the hundredth time, and did my monthly viewing of Swingers. The Matrix, Shakespeare in Love, Garden State and Goodwill Hunting are coming up for their monthly viewings.

I also bought the first season of Sleeper Cell and it totally blew me away. That's about all I can say about that.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #399
Griff
still says videotape

We showed Raiders of the Lost Ark to the kids last night. It still works.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #400
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Veronica Mars Season 1 - Good show!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #401
Cloud

Gothic Bellydance. Hawaiian Wave Dreams. Harry Potters overandoverandover
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #402
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

recently:

Drunken Master
Baraka
Return of the Pink Panther
Bicentennial Man
Open Season
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #403
Cloud

not a dvd, but Die Hard on HBO. classic! so many good moments--the music, yippi-kay-ay mother fucker (can I say that here?); "HANS!", Alan Rickman falling away. The music!
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #404
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

I like that quote about Alexander seeing the breadth of his world he wept for he saw there were no more worlds to conquer.

Kind of sad most of the quotes I remember are from movies, really.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #405
glatt

Just watched the classic Seven Samurai over the weekend. Black and white. Subtitles. Film was so decayed it was all flickery all the time. But it was pretty good, if a little long. My wife thought it was boring.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies