The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #376
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Y'know...I did actually have some liking for some of what PD is about. Then I read their 'Lets fuck with these people thread' in which it would appear theyhave actually harrassed a poetry site to the point of it changing it's posting requirements. Other sites which they've targetted no longer exist (a handful) they may have gone offline for unrelated reasons but ...who knows right?

Some of what they posted when trolling the sex chat sites is just really unpleasant and comes across as wholly misogynistic. They talk about sites 'deserving punishment'. Wtf do they think they are ?

I have now lost any and all respect/liking for their community.

Incidentally here's a quote from yesterday :P

Quote:
General issue I have with our attacks: I have a feeling that letting people from the 'enemy' forumz join and view our threads on how we're trolling them is not to our benefit. I know it happens (coughcellarcough)... I would suggest blocking joins during an invasion but there are cons as well as the pros, so... Have discussions happened about this; what was decided?
The safari idea was pretty cool. But nasty unpleasant trolling of dating sites and chatrooms is just a shitty way to be. Tggr seemed particularly proud of the way they attacked adultfriendfinder.com.

I really dislike this. I really do. I doubt I'll be giong back there, even to see what they're saying about us. Their opinion now means less to me than it ever did.

That is all.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #377
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Man... remember way back at the beginning of the first safari, when the mod of some other site PM'ed Undertoad and warned him these people were up to no good?

That guy was a total prophet, huh?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #378
DanaC

I think the only possible answer to that is Yes.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #379
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

:bites tongue:
Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #380
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

ty
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #381
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Y'know...I did actually have some liking for some of what PD is about. Then I read their 'Lets fuck with these people thread' in which it would appear theyhave actually harrassed a poetry site to the point of it changing it's posting requirements. Other sites which they've targetted no longer exist (a handful) they may have gone offline for unrelated reasons but ...who knows right?

Some of what they posted when trolling the sex chat sites is just really unpleasant and comes across as wholly misogynistic. They talk about sites 'deserving punishment'. Wtf do they think they are ?

I have now lost any and all respect/liking for their community.

Incidentally here's a quote from yesterday :P

The safari idea was pretty cool. But nasty unpleasant trolling of dating sites and chatrooms is just a shitty way to be. Tggr seemed particularly proud of the way they attacked adultfriendfinder.com.

I really dislike this. I really do. I doubt I'll be giong back there, even to see what they're saying about us. Their opinion now means less to me than it ever did.

That is all.

I went looking for that thread Dana, and unfortunately I found it. I'm done posting over there. I'm sure not all the members there get involved in the whole trolling thing, but it seems that most of the ones who came here (unsurprisingly in hindsight) are.

What bothers me is that I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try to make peace with them when it seems that all along they just wanted to stir people up.

I guess they can put what's happened here down to a successful troll then.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #382
DanaC

I guess they can at that Ali. But hey...once bitten right?

I also am sure that this stuff doesn't represent the entirety of their scene. But it's distasteful enough to me that I have no desire to stick around. Insults and shitflinging I can live with; the stuff that went on between our two sites at least had a kind of logic to it. It was personal .. and personal sometimes does get nasty. But I cannot see any justification for attacks on dating chatrooms. It says to me that they think extraordinarily highly of themselves, whilst holding a very low and patronising view of the people in those chat rooms. The bombing raid Tggr did here, I thought was a) fair enough given what had been going on, and b) actually quite witty. But I am deeply uncomfortable about people going into a dating chatroom solely to cause trouble and then return in triumph and hold up those chatters as objects of ridicule and disdain, which is essentially the core of that act. It suggests a particularly unpleasant brand of arrogance to me. I want no part of it. And I want no part of any community that would condone or glorify it.

And as for what went on in the sex chat rooms: If any dwellar was to go into one of those rooms and post the kind of vile, misogynistic venom that i saw in that thread, I would feel genuine shame for our community. Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful

That's not a condemnation of all individual PDers. It really isn't. They're just people, good and bad. But I condemn the culture that finds that in any way acceptable.

Last edited by DanaC; 06-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #383
Aliantha

Oh well, I guess they can have a good laugh about it. I'm sorry I bothered getting involved. I feel a bit disloyal now to be honest.

I guess I should have looked around more before trying to be the peace maker, although that being said, I think I'd probably still have wanted to try and make peace one way or another.

So go ahead and call me pollyanna.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #384
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
The bombing raid Tggr did here, I thought was a) fair enough given what had been going on
Collective "punishment" of the Cellar for one Cellar user's gratuitous insult. (MTP) I don't really get that one. Can anyone go over there and cause Roger to dive-bomb us? Rog, can you explain that one more thoroughly?

Especially after countless complaints by foam and cain (and, I think, others) that it's unfair how Cellar users treat them as collective PD.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #385
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I was up over 500 posts there at one point. I realized that the whole point for some of them is to make themselves feel superior and to shit on those around them. I looked around and realized that I was trying to be the voice of reason(fucked up that I should be in that position in the first place.....)...and trying to get them to simply respect my right to have a differing opinion without labeling me(pseudo scientist, randian) and deriding me.

Not everyone did it....but no one there had enough balls, or cared enough to oppose the ones that WERE doing it. So that's why I deleted my content. Because i COULD....and fuck 'em. I rejected them as a whole because of the actions of a few. I figure it's their loss, because I'm really fucking cool. and modest.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #386
Aliantha

Well, maybe everyone has learned something from this experience. Perhaps we have that to thank them for.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #387
DanaC

Well...again, to be entirely fair Toad, it wasn't in rresponse to one dwellar's insults. The bombing raid occurred after a couple of us got a little feisty with them. Yes, the 'dogfucker' was the final rationale, but that came after a bunch of other stuff. I thought it was witty because...well 'bombing' with a fake internet terrorist org is quite inventive and ultimately not terribly harmful. We had access to the ultimate defence (banning) and that was used and then reviewed when peace broke out.

It was 'fair enough' because it was another sally in whathad essentially become a mini board war in which both sides were active.

But...why attack a poetry site? The fact that the poetry site was 'goth' or 'emo' is not good enough. Maybe there's stuff gone on I don't know about and they had a personal beef with the person who runs the site i don;t know. But poetry is a very personal thing. No matter how shitty things got over here between dwellars and Tiki nobody went into her poetry thread and caused shit. Those who didnt like it just stayed away from it. Her creative act was given at least that much respect. Sure, after she left a few people, who didn;t like her poems had criticisms of it. But they didn't go into the thread (when it was still there) and dump all over it.

We got into a board war with a group who had become our adversaries, because of personal disagreements. Once at war ... well, things can get unpleasant and that's to be expected. But really...shitting all over a dating site where people are just minding their own business, and looking for fun, romance, companionship or even dirty cybersex and then being proud of that is low. It suggests a very low opinion of the people using the site. I can see no justification for it.

Sending a safari here ... well, it was done with humour and and a fairly light touch. Things went awry and our cultures clashed. But that's ok, because in many ways we are equivalent cultures. There is no equivalence with dating sites and poetry forums. They are not the same thing and frankly the nature of the humour employed seems much nastier and much more sinister.

[eta] theres a screenshot in that thread of stuff that was said in the sex chat room. Hideous things about the girl in there. Clearly not true, (she wasnt fat) and I suppose they assumed nobody would take it seriously. I dont know if the girls pictured were really there, or just pics where a bot was working. If the girls were real then what was said was utterly shameful. 'Cause if the girls were real they're probably there for money. Earning a little cash. They don't deserve that. Nobody does.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #388
Aliantha

I think what they choose to do at their own site is their own business. It's never nice to deliberately set out to be nasty to people, particularly those you know nothing about, but we here can't set ourselves up as the saviours of the universe or interwebz. I think we can only choose how we deal with them here. As far as their site goes, the simple way to deal with that is not to go there, which is the choice I'm making. I've just deleted all but my last post (which is likely to get flamed anyway, but I don't care).

As far as the rest of them who continue to post here, they're on their last legs as far as I'm concerned. One more sly remark and they're on ignore. That'll suit me nicely.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #389
DanaC

Oh I agree. What they do on their own site is their business. And I certainly wasn't suggesting we set ourselves up as anything of the sort. I was merely expressing my distaste for what I have seen there. I feel I misjudged them somewhat. I no longer want anything to do with their culture. And, I don't really feel we need be as accomodating as we have been. When I thought Tgrr was just engaging in a little tit for tat board warfare, I was happy to argue against the ban Toad imposed. This will not be the case in future. Not advocating blanket bans. Just saying my views have changed.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #390
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
author=The Good Reverend Roger

:lulz:

Victory.
[/quote]