The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #301
busterb
NSABFD

WTF. No one reads me anymore?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #302
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I read you, buster. But I don't know jack about football, much less peewee football in the 1950s. I do like the one kid in the back row making fists, though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #303
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Same here. BTW, why do the names read left to right but are to people from right to left?

BTW, buster. If you ever decide to open a B&B let me know. Scotch eggs for breakfast, BBQ for dinner, and maybe a cane extracting demonstration using restoreD antiques in between.

I do read your posts and you have some very cool hobbies. It would make for an awesome Cellar Road Trip.

BTW, was it you who told us that you were turned away from a church shelter during Katrina? Did anything ever come from that?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #304
Griff
still says videotape

I didn't know they had midget football in the fifties. I think its relatively new here.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #305
SamIam

I read you Busterb. It's just I don't always have a comment. I don't know anything about football, never mind peewee football. I still enjoy your posts, though.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #306
busterb
NSABFD

The kid with his dukes up was a jr. collage football for years. I see a preacher, 2 state farm agents, a banker, a refinery manager, a pharmacist, a school teacher.
A HVAC contractor. One who worked with flight sims. One went to air force academy.
1 known died. The one on my left got polio, still around.
Not sure what rest did.
Back then, was no jr. high ball. Just peewee and varisity.
Back to eye dr. the 28th.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #307
busterb
NSABFD

Dog robbers, Bill, Cockatoos and Opals.
Well since I’m almost 70 years old and this is the only record of my BS. I need to up date a bit.
My friend BILL. I meet Bill in the jungles of Peru, Back in 1976.
He came in to help me with my job. I heard someone ask where was from. He said” Birmingham” Well I hear that and think brit. But come to find out he was from above Birmingham, Ala.
He had been downunder for about 15 years and had a family at Margerts River, which he spent last winter with.
We worked in Peru, Sumatra, and S. La. Together.. And boy do I have a few tales to bring here.
Bill called me collect from downunder, needed fair for home, had 2 cockatoos. At that time I had money, so I paid the deal with air lines..

Bill showed up with 2 birds and about that time my wife was going home, to Sumatra for a visit.. So we got loaded and let the !@#$% birds out.. They crapped allover!
Bill has and English school in Hondusis. Maybe a house of ill report.

Anyway Bill was working, inspection for the fracking folks., He called me other day and said.” Was on way to Basil, About time I did something for my self.
Bill must be about 75 or over, but he’s a work wise and great dude. More if I can get someone to type for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #308
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Where do opals fit into Bill's story?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #309
busterb
NSABFD

He went back downunder while we were in Sumatra and brought me 5 or 6 nice ones, Xwife go them.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #310
busterb
NSABFD

Dog robbers, Bill, Cockatoos and Opals.
Had nothing to do with this. Guess it was on page from where I was doing a book search.
Only thing I found was a book, The Opal Serpent.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #311
busterb
NSABFD

When I can find someone who can type and spell, I'll update this about Project Azorian and
the links that Bruce sent me about project Pluto. I worked on the first reel barge in gulf. u 303 later barge 101
Old 04-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #312
busterb
NSABFD

Project Pluto

Project Pluto
Bruce sent me a link about this, because he knew I once did this kind of work. The link . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9lBqPVuoE

This I found after a little searching.
Historically, the technique of laying undersea fluid-carrying pipelines had its rudimentary beginnings in England in the 1940's in a War-time project known as "Operation Pluto". In the summer of 1944, 3-inch nominal bore steel tubes, electrically flash-welded together, were coiled around floating drums. One end of the pipe was fixed to a terminal point; as the floating drums were towed across the English Channel, the pipe was pulled off the drum. In this manner, pipeline connections were made between the fuel supply depots in England and distribution points on the European continent to support the Allied invasion of Europe.
No known further development work or commercial use of the technique of laying pipe offshore from reels was carried out after World War II. After a hiatus of about fifteen years, research into the reel pipelaying technique was renewed and was carried on by Gurtler, Herbert & Co, Inc of New Orleans, La. (USA); by 1961, Gurtler, Herbert had sufficiently advanced the reel pipelaying technique to make it a commercially acceptable and viable method of laying pipe in the offshore petroleum industry, able to compete with the traditional stovepiping technique. The first known commercial pipelaying reel barge, called the U-303 was built by Aquatic Contractors and Engineers, Inc, a subsidiary of Gurtler, Herbert, in 1961. The U-303 utilised a large vertical-axis reel, permanently mounted on a barge and having horizontally orientated flanges (generally referred to in the trade as a "horizontal reel"). A combined straightener/level winder was employed for spooling pipe onto the reel and for straightening pipe as it was unspooled. The U-303 first laid pipe commercially in September 1961, in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana and was used successfully during the 1960's to lay several million linear feet of pipe of up to 6 inches diameter.
I worked a few times on the U-303, which I think was a converted hull from an old LST. The oil industry used a bunch. Chevron had 4 or 5 which I also work on or off of.
Anyway the main supervision on the U-303 were named Larry, Moe and Curley. Once we laid some small pipe to be pulled up a J-tube and the jughead was telling the tug to pull, pull. But he was talking to wrong tug which pulled the barge anchors back across the pipe we had just laid.
A deck full of cut up scrap.
A link to where I found some of this. A popup will come up. Just close then hit the back button. If you’d like to read. Maybe I’ll add to this later.
Also in upper right corner is more junk
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-pipelayer.htm
Old 05-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #313
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good stuff.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #314
busterb
NSABFD

Tnxs. I was about to give up on this. I do have more that might be of interest to some.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #315
busterb
NSABFD

Once while working on above barge, A diver was driving the crane operator nuts with pick a little , no down and so forth. The sob was under the barge holding onto an anode. They later hired him as a deck foreman.
Later on another job, not same company. I was knocked overboard by pipe jumping the rollers and some bright guy tried to throw me the welding cable. Me in salt water. Hello salt water and electricity don't work well together.
Stories I might could tell about working offshore in the 60s are almost endless. Before there was an OSHA.