The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 12-05-2003, 08:25 AM   #286
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

500 years ago when the family name was invented. Today, the names are only historical.

Many American/European names refer to the profession of the person who started the name. We have many "Baker", "Carpenter", "Smith" (referring to "blacksmith", a metal worker), "Miller" (referring to one who worked a mill).

Even though there are no more blacksmiths, the names continue.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #287
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Don't worry about it Billy, Mc- only appears in proper names
Generally, but not only. Due to the McDonalds hamburger chain, he's also likely to run into terms like "McJobs". The term is used to describe low-paying dead-end jobs.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:15 PM   #288
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

True Dar, but he was asking about the meaning of peoples names. We got into this a little some time ago. The Chinese put a great deal of importance on the meanings of peoples names and get confused trying to interpret western names. What Syc told Billy was correct but I was trying to steer him completely away from the practice because it won't benefit him at all and will probably just confuse everyone if he comes to school here.
BTW, I heard on the radio that McD's legal staff have convinced the dictionary to drop the McJob rederence. I wonder if we'll see a pocket dictionary promotion at McD's soon?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:37 PM   #289
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
We got into this a little some time ago. The Chinese put a great deal of importance on the meanings of peoples names and get confused trying to interpret western names.
Ah. Never mind then.

On another topic. I don't know everyone here as well as some of you seem to know each other. So when you say Wolf knows you, is that in the biblical sense?

None of my business - just wondering.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #290
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Whenever someone asks anything about names, I almost always think of the line that Bruce Willis delivers in Pulp Fiction..."We're American, honey...our names don't mean shit."

All I know about my own is that the last name is apparently made up, and the first name is due to sperm donor getting to the name people at the hospital before my mom. And since I'm named after sperm donor, I can only assume that one or both of my grandparents had a case of the stupids the day he was born...or sadistic tendencies.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:19 AM   #291
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by dar512
On another topic. I don't know everyone here as well as some of you seem to know each other. So when you say Wolf knows you, is that in the biblical sense?
Wishful thinking on Bruce's part ... (it's also a play off my user title, which was a play off slang's former user title, which was "Doesn't know all the psychos")

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:21 AM   #292
Billy
Professor

Chinese like chatting privacy

Many Chinese like to know one's age, resindence, marriage, families... They are some topics in chatting. With communication to the west, we have started to notice these topics. We dare not ask them if others don't tell.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:36 AM   #293
Billy
Professor

US Santa Claus in HK

Volunteers from the United States dressed as Santa Claus wave to Hong Kong residents December 3, 2003. The US Santa Claus Friendship Group, comprised of more than 60 senior citizens from Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco, is in Hong Kong to deliver a message of global good will and peace.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2003, 08:00 AM   #294
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
the first name is due to sperm donor getting to the name people at the hospital before my mom. And since I'm named after sperm donor, I can only assume that one or both of my grandparents had a case of the stupids the day he was born...or sadistic tendencies. [/b]
In your grandparents day the name was a strong traditional one. That's before it took on a faggy connotation, as did mine.
Quote:
Wishful thinking on Bruce's part ...
Uh huh...sigh
Quote:
Ah. Never mind then.
Not dissing your point Dar, just adding that Billy had clued us to their attachment to name meanings.
Quote:
Many Chinese like to know one's age, resindence, marriage, families... They are some topics in chatting. With communication to the west, we have started to notice these topics. We dare not ask them if others don't tell.
Billy, I think that most Americans are happy to tell you about those things but will wait to be asked.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #295
Billy
Professor

It is a pity that I can not go to the USA to have Christmas

I don't get one passport so I can not apply visa. I don't know if I can go to travel next spring.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #296
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well at least our women folk will be safe a little while longer.
Did they give a reason Billy, or don't they give reasons. How long before you can try again for a passport?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:55 PM   #297
Billy
Professor

Becasue I have no location certification. I think I can get one soon and apply next year visa to the USA.

Never mind. I cannot snatch your girls.

Last edited by Billy; 12-10-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 PM   #298
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Billy, how much would it cost you to travel to the United States? It would be very expensive for one of us to come visit your country. The plane ticket and hotel in Beijing for one person would cost around $2500 US.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:12 AM   #299
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

William Shatner told me that you can get your fares cheaper on Priceline.

Brian
Old 12-11-2003, 10:56 PM   #300
Billy
Professor

No need so much if you come China

The single ticket is about $900. You don't need live in the top hotels. There are many cheap hotels to select. Many USA people use little money can have a super life here.

I go to the USA to see one my friend. He would help pay for the money. I cannot afford it.