The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-12-2006, 03:14 AM   #16
VinDurzle
no excuse for being obtuse

Yup Beavis. Sad but tru, sad but tru...unless you happen to believe there's more to us than returning to dust. Buster I hear ya. Indonesia = vast majority of muslim faith - I think animals killed for food have to be killed in a certain manner (Halal) I could be wrong tho - this may only be applicable to a more severe segmentation of the faith- can anyone correct me?. Striking pic though...
VinDurzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #17
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
All of these backwater cultures need to get with the program so they don't have to linger on these archaic rituals. Once they are advanced enough socially and technologically they can just concentrate on killing other people exclusively like us.
funny but frightfully true angle on the discussion, TS.....

I feel better now that I know they eat the animals. I always thought an animal that was sacrificed was holy in some way and therefore not suitable for consumption. Don't ask me where I got that lame ass idea.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #18
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I figure that as long as religions could keep their rituals to themselves we'd be ok. Even going so far as to include human sacrifice. The only stipulations being that it has to be a willing adult of your own cult. Leave the animals alone, they have their own problems to deal with.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Check the calendar. If it's NOT Friday and you see an animal mentioned in the title, consider carefully before you click.
I know, but, there seems to be an abundance of gory animal pics of late. The fighting dogs, the cyclops kitty and now this. An escalating pattern, if you will. Maybe he just needs to throw some plates or something?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #20
glatt

There's a lot of blood in that picture, and I feel a little sorry for the guy cleaning it all up. He could really use a wet/dry shop vac. But I suppose he will manage with a small sponge. It will just take a while.

I have to admit that I don't really feel anything for the dead cows. I just see a pile of meat in the picture. We are much worse in the US for the way we treat our cows, by the way. The life of a cow in a feeding lot is not very good.

I like lobster, and I have steamed them alive many times. I expect to do it again in the future. Am I worse than the people who killed these cows?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

Me thinks the sponge is really a sharpening stone.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #22
glatt

I think you are right. I first though he was cleaning the floor, but you're right. He's sharpening a knife. There's even an empty cup of water next to him that he used to wet the stone.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
There's even an empty cup of water next to him that he used to wet the stone.
or would that be whet the stone?
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #24
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDurzle
I think animals killed for food have to be killed in a certain manner (Halal) I could be wrong tho - this may only be applicable to a more severe segmentation of the faith- can anyone correct me?. Striking pic though...
Most Muslims I know will eat Halal meat even if they don't go to the mosque - even our local Nandos displays a 100% Halal Meat sign.

They will also eat meat displayed as Kosher - I think the animals are killed in the same way. Halal requires a single stroke across the throat and the animal is left to bleed.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I saw a McDonalds sign in Detroits Muslim section (granted, it was on the Net, but, still.) Right beneath the 'billions and billions sold' message was this: Halal McNuggets. I think in the US 'Halal' is just another marketing strategy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #26
busterb
NSABFD

When I was married to a lady from Sumatra, and was working in OKC. She came up to spend a few days w/me. We went to a flea market where you buy ALMOST anything. She got a few pigeons, to eat. Wtf I know. Anyway I came into kitchen later and she had damn bird in sink trying to cut it's throat, feathers and all. Knife was just sliding over feathers. I thought that shit had went on long enough, so I pulled it's head off. Boy did it hit the fan then. Opps forgot the part about Halal

Last edited by busterb; 01-12-2006 at 12:48 PM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #27
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Leave the animals alone, they have their own problems to deal with.
Yup.
"I'm so fat!"
Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #28
mrnoodle
bent

I really find it odd that so many people are put off by pics of dead cows. Maybe it's just the environment you've been raised in. We always knew where meat came from, and what it took to get it from the hoof to the plate. Yet suddenly (and this is not intended as an insult in any way) people are acting like they've discovered some new horror that shows our "inhumanity".

Tain't like that at all. We're meateaters by birthright and/or evolution. Vegetarianism is the result of an overworked psyche. Eating meat and pretending it didn't come from an animal is even worse. I'm beginning to think that what the citybred call "civilization" isn't anything more than a useless vanity -- a modern day version of the powdered-wig foppishness you see in those movies about Victorian England.

listen to me babble. time for lunch.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #29
lawman
unerringly questioning

When I was in Nepal back in 2000, I picked up a Khukuri - the large one that they use for beheading cows for some ritual. One clean blow, I've seen it - it's pretty amazing. Sharp as a razor, I have to put it away when I have parties at my house (well, I didn't the first one, now I have to!)

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/Content/Catalog/Browse/ProductDetail.php?PID=ed3d2c21991e3bef5e069713af9fa6ca|5748

well that link wasn't clickable, maybe this will be:

http://shorterlink.com/?5ALRBY

one interesting feature of this blade is the half circular notch just in front of the handle on the live side of the blade, the combination of the notch and the spike jutting out from the middle of it causes the blood to drip off the blade, and not get onto your hands, both dangerous (slippery) and messy!

This site has more info and a pic of a cow losing it's head:

http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com/khukuri.html

and poking around, another pic, of a pig I think:

http://www.nepalesekhukuri.com/sacrifise.jpg

Last edited by lawman; 01-12-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: fixing link
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #30
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

It's not a question of killing cows to eat. I don't have a problem with that. It's more the point of the ALLAHU AKBAR! *CHOP*CHOP* problem. If you need to eat, kill the fucking cow as quickly as possible and move on, don't just cut its throat and leave it thrashing about as it bleeds out because the invisible man in the sky says it's what you're supposed to do.

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 01-12-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote