The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-27-2005, 06:51 AM   #16
staceyv
Lecturer

I decided to go with a younger age group. I am planning on picking up these two little girls on Wednesday. I'm waiting for my landlord to come home from vacation so he can give landlord approval to the shelter. (Pets are allowed where I live, I don't think it'll be a problem.)

These two lived in a huge pack of chihuahuas in a puppy mill. They haven't had much socialization or housebreaking. It'll be a challenge! But I'm up for it. I know a lot about animal behavior and training. I'm also planning on buying a crate and an exercise pen to contain them until they figure out where the potty is...
Aren't they adorable!?

"They are the fabulous Jeanie and Alice! Jeanie is 6 and Alice is 8 and both are spayed females looking for a new home. Could yours be the one? They have a few requests that I will translate for you here: We would like to be loved and adored truly and deeply and we will return the attention tenfold. We would like to stay together because we love each other. Jeanie would like to be put on a strict diet because her weight makes it difficult for her to breath. We would like our new home to be on the quiet side because we are easily scared and intimidated. We would like a warm and comfy lap to curl up on at any time we wish. If you think your home can fulfill Jeanie and Alice's simple requests, please reply at the shelter."

By the way, I used Petfinder to find them. If you're looking for a pet, you can type in any breed, size, age, etc. and the city you live in, and it'll give you a list of available pets.
I wish people would stop breeding animals when there are still so many homeless ones- and you can get the breed of your choice at the shelter for a lot less money and a good cause.

What has gotten into me lately? Sorry for being all mushy and full of good intentions. I've already vented all of my eveilness into my blog. Maybe the whole journal-keeping therapy is working...
Attached Images

Last edited by staceyv; 06-27-2005 at 06:56 AM.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #17
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

You've a good heart, stacey. Congrats!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #18
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

You're so lucky stacey. I've wanted a dog since I was a little little kid. Hopefully I'll be moving somewhere this fall where I can get one...
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #19
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

What is a puppy mill? It sounds awful!

Hope these girls, and your current baby boy have fun together SV!! he will think its christmas!!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #20
staceyv
Lecturer

A puppy mill is a facility where purebred dogs are bred in bulk for money. Most of these dogs end up at petstores or sold through the internet. Never, ever buy a dog from a petstore!!! They breed without thought to the health, disposition or temperament of the dogs. They are crammed into small spaces and don't receive any human socialization.

These two cuties are going to take a lot of work just to have them get used to us. It might take a whole year before they're housebroken. Luckily, chihuahuas don't have too many breed-specific disorders, but it's very possible I'll be dealing with heart and/or knee problems in a few years. I don't mind. I need a project and I seem to have a lot of maternal instinct lately- but I don't want a kid! Chihuahuas are the perfect baby substitute!

My 10 year old only chi might be very, very jealous for awhile. I'll have to make sure to give him extra attention so he doesn't resent the newcomers. It should work out, though, because the girls are smaller than him and female...

Okay, okay, I'll shut up already! If everything goes as planned, I'll have to post some pictures next week!

Here's the dog I have now:
Attached Images

Last edited by staceyv; 06-27-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

I sometimes feel sorry for pet lovers who live in a city. I can go to feed store and buy the 7 in one shots for a dog for about ten bucks. I have friends who sell hunting dogs for over 1k a piece and most treat thier own dogs. Vet bill, never. I worm my dog with the same thing you give to a horse, but be careful because this dose is for a 1200 lb horse. Yes I love my 10 year old rat terrier, I just paid 160 bucks for a collar to break her from getting in street and following me off. And by golly it works. When you hit the "nick" button her feet fly off the ground. About 2 times it's over. Is that a bad way to train a dog? Cain't address that, but I have around 400 bucks in this dog, so I'd just as soon as not see her hit by a car. IMHO

'
Old 06-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
These two lived in a huge pack of chihuahuas in a puppy mill.
Why on earth would they have 6yo and 8yo SPAYED females at a puppy mill?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #23
busterb
NSABFD

http://www.hhpetadopt.org/ No I don't get shit from this link and I wouldn't take my dog to this bitch if she was on her last leg.

Last edited by busterb; 06-27-2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: stupid
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:29 AM   #24
staceyv
Lecturer

They were probably used for breeding until they were too old. The shelter may have had them spayed. They do that a lot now.

Buster, I don't get your comment- are you joking?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #25
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

COMMENDATION

ALL HAIL STACEYV !

Thank you so much , Stacey for taking the time to weigh the situation and make the decision that is right for you AND the animals. I salute you!
As a former volunteer at the local "humane" society, I have seen folks repeatedly follow compassionate whims and adopt animals only to realize soon enough that they'd made a major mistake.
I'm the kind of guy that wants to take them ALL home. The cold hard truth is that some animals really ARE better off euthanized (I say that with a teary eye).
I had had Frank, My JRT for about 3 yrs when I noticed he acted as if he were suffering from severe depression. After a Vet check and a lot of soul searching I realized that he WAS depressed as a result of spending 10-12 hrs a day alone, patiently awaiting my return. When I did get home I had lots to do and sometimes very little time for Frank. He was depressed to the extent of physical illness, and I was totally unaware.
I adopted a cute, spayed chihuaua (sp?) about the same age as Frank. It was unbelievable how quickly Frank recovered. Within a week, he appeared to be a different dog with a new lease on life. His overall health improved entirely (even the vet noticed). Now they are glad when I get home, naturally, but they haven't been sitting there all day in anxiety wondering where the hell capnhowdy is. The chihuaua's name is Trixie, by the way. In retrospect I guess i was abusing Frank in a way and never really had a clue. Trixie is the best thing ever happened to Frank and I love her too.
I hope you can find the perfect friend for your dog.
Thanks again for taking the time to weigh the total situation. May God bless you.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #26
busterb
NSABFD

Buster, I don't get your comment- are you joking?
Which asinine comment were you asking about? If about the one with the link. The lady vet. runs that pet thing, I know of no one who takes their dog to her.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Queen females (bitches that are repeatedly bred by puppy mills) are spayed for a variety of reasons. The best one is that they get rescued and are no longer having two litters a year. Sometimes, though, the fact that they have been repeatedly mated with no time off for recovery leads to problems with their innards, and the spaying is done to save their lives. This is a rare occurance, because once they can no longer reproduce, the puppy mill breeder has no reason to keep feeding them.

I know someone who ended up with a 10 year old maltese queen and it took a very long time to get her used to the idea of being a pet rather than a producer ... a lot of her behaviors were unchangable at that point, most particularly her ALWAYS needing to urinate and defecate on concrete. She'd never been on grass ever, and the floor of her cage was concrete.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #28
staceyv
Lecturer

okay, another update-
I've been waiting all damn week for my landlord to get home from vacation because the shelter has to call him for landlord approval.
Of course, by the time I talked to him yesterday, little jeannie and alice were spoken for . They are on hold pending adoption AND someone has put in a backup application in case the first adoption doesn't go through...

I'm actually surprised. I thought they would be hard to adopt because they're 6 and 8 years old, unhousebroken and must go together. Oh well. As long as they get a good home.

So, I had to start looking again, since by now, I am dead set on getting another chihuahua to keep my dog company and make life more interesting at home. I think most women at this point in their life/ marriage start planning on having a baby. I have the same maternal feelings, but I want a chihuahua instead They're WAY cuter and easier than children.

We have an appointment tomorrow morning to go look at these two cuties. We'll be leaving with one of them. I'll update you on Saturday! (If you're really that interested)
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #29
staceyv
Lecturer

I also need help choosing a name:

B.B.

Jimi (Hendrix)

Cholo- "gangster"

Rico (suave)

Vito

Bruno

brutus

Sancho

Schatzi- german “honey”

Mishkin- russian "little bear"
Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cholo is pretty good, but you'll have to get him a spiked collar and a bandana in the Latin Kings colors.

What about "Poquito"?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote