The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Dear Undertoad:

Sharing like this is said to divide the burdens and multiply the blessings.

Your tribute to your friend and companion is very moving. I loved reading about your play and seeing his happy face. It really is a blessing to me to see a story of such a happy life. Thank you for sharing it with me.

And I share your grief, too. I, too, have had to make the call to put down my dog, a faultless friend of 14 years, whose only mistake was to get old. The pain was awful, as I held her head through her last breath. I grieve with you UT.

I've been in it and through it, eventually. Now you're in it, and you'll be through it too. Eventually. But you're not alone, despite how it feels now. Your family and friends surround you, and, of course, Bean's in your heart forever.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #17
staceyv
Lecturer

I never knew Bean, but I love him.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry Tone. While I was reading this my old dog came over and laid down on my foot...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #19
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am sorry to hear this, UT! I am not a dog person, but reading this thread might have converted me. I might look for a boston terrier, now. Great that you provided such a loving home for Bean. Though I never knew him, I will miss him too.

Beautiful tribute.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #20
headsplice
Relaxed

Sr. UT,
I saw my first dog get run over, my second dog and my first cat given away, and my father's first cat I had to take to be put down. I miss them all, and appreciate you sharing one of the saddest times in your life with us. Spreading the pain around helps ease the load and helps me remember all the good parts about my pets. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #21
warch
lurkin old school

Aww. Bean.
I'm glad that you were there to love Bean along. He was a sweet boy. Kiss the Pearl, she'll be lonesome for the little guy, too. Take care T. xxxooo
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #22
Jacquelita
Don't pop a vein

Beanie was a great dog and a fine companion to UT. It was comical to watch him "chase" the ball. It wasn't really chasing of course - more like bull-dozing. Head down, pushing the ball with his face, running at top speed - I have no idea how he could see where he was going...

Even funnier was watching him chase the walnut. It was just the right size for him to pick it up and carry it back to you.

Beanie also loved to "sing" happy birthday. As soon as you'd started singing to him, he'd join in and howl along. Of course you could get him going with any type of howling noise... we had quite a few conversations, Beanie and I.

At night, when everyone was settling in, you could count on Bean for a good foot washing. Although it was a slightly slimey experience, there was something oddly relaxing about it. When he was all done, he'd find just the right spot under the covers (usually somewhere near the small of your back), curl up, and sleep right next to you for the entire night. In the morning you knew it was time to get up when beanie got his morning face rub.

Actually his morning face rub was one of the rare times he readily volunteered for extended touching. It was so funny, he'd come over and hang out with you, walk all over you, but if you reached down to touch him, he'd sidle away and sit just out of reach and give you that "don't touch me" look.

He was definitely one of a kind; a unique spirit. A lover of cookies, ball runs and face rubs, and to the end, a faithful friend to Tony.

Good work by you Beanie boy, we will miss you!
Jacquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #23
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm sorry for your loss UT. i still feel the loss of my favorite dog 2 1/2 years ago. what a great tribute to a friend.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #24
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I had two dogs at different times when I was growing up. They were each completely different but lovable in their own way.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thank you everyone!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh damn, Tony. Losing a good friend is the worst. I'm really sorry you have to go through this. I also feel like an idiot for sending you that dog video earlier tonight.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:56 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 PM   #27
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Tony,

Thankyou so much for such a wondeful, personal and beautiful tribute to your little mate.. Whilst reading it i at first was wooed by his cuteness, then actually laughed aloud at him in the snow! what a cutie! then i awwwwwed at his "throne".. and then i got so teary and sad at his end... and i NEVER cry.. so thats something!

Thankyou for sharing this with us, i hope that when i die someone does something like this for me!!

Last week i lost ALL my animals (except 4 cats) . On saturday morning i woke up and went into the backyard and found all our animals maimed by foxes. Such a waste as they only ate one or two things but killed the entire lot. I especially miss our "mr and mrs duck" - my SO and i had them given to us when they were ducklings, and lived with us ever since.. they were free range and would follow us to the clothes line every afternoon and would try to eat my pants and sniff all my laundry.. then waddle back to the house with me.. just the cutest!

This thread has inspired me to do a tribute for Mr and Mrs duck.. i think i will paint them on a canvas and dedicate it to them.

Tony i hope your sadness eases soon, Bean will always be there in your heart - sleeping on the lounge, and sunbaking on the deck.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #28
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

*wiping tears off of keyboad before typing* I too am very sorry for your loss. I remember you posting pictures of them in mid-catch of dog treats...those were a riot. Thanks for sharing, it reminded me of my first dog, a stray that my parents took in. I held her paw and talked to her while the vet injected her with 'put to sleep' medicine. I hope the pain doesn't last too long.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Like StaceyV, I didn't have the honor of Bean's acquaintance, but I feel as though I know Bean from that loving tribute. I am so sorry, UT.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #30
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Sorry to hear about your dog man. I felt sorry when my ex-wife gave away my dog, but at least I knew he was alive. It takes a long time to get over a loss like this. I still think of the dog I had growing up and think of him fondly.