The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #16
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

It's the heroin that makes Chic-fil-a so unique and special.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #17
jaguar
whig

What is this chic-fil-a you talk of any who brutally attacked it with hyphens?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:40 PM   #18
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you wouldn't like it. it's owned by southern baptists.

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #19
jaguar
whig

they invented the chicken sandwich eh? jesus fuck that's as bad as starbucks thinking they know how to make coffee.
Krispy Kreme has made it to london, at least that has some merit.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #20
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

I understand that KFC is a huge corporation and their "restaurants" are all over the world, but why only target them? If this is happening at their chicken factories, it's probably happening at lots of other chicken factories that supply other restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Bottom line is, if you want to know where your food comes from and control every aspect of how it gets to you, grow it yourself!

KFC does have the best coleslaw though
Old 04-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #21
russotto
Professor

The "simple" life means working from before dusk 'til after dark nearly every day of your life, and still starving if the weather's against you. Forget it. I'll get my steaks from a grocery store (or a butcher, if there was one around, which there ain't) and my grain already processed into bread. That'll leave me plenty of spare time to worry about what I'm eating, if I'm so inclined (which I'm not).

As for coffee... no, Starbucks doesn't know how to make it. The Bucks County Coffee Company does though. And for some reason the New Zealanders do damn good espresso-based beverages, but that's a long way to go for a cappuchino.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #22
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

From what I've read, the problem with Starbucks isn't that they don't know how to make coffee, it's that they purchase the cheapest coffee beans available which in turn tastes like burnt caca. Starbucks must die. I'd rather drink "sludge scrapped off the bottom of the Mississippi river".
Old 04-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #23
jinx
Come on, cat.

mmmm... Starbucks
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Krispy Kreme has made it to london, at least that has some merit.

Krispy Kreme are the worst 's ever. I can't believe you like them. YUCK.

(It's fun to use the and smilies
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #25
mrnoodle
bent

Krispy Kreme = yum
KFC = yum, particularly the coleslaw. mash taters, not so much
Chik fil whatever = yum
mcnuggets = yum
starbucks = gack, except the frappucinos, which = yum

If you want to know what it's like to live off the land successfully, find a copy of "Alone in the Wilderness," a documentary filmed in Alaska in the 60s or 70s. It's been on PBS recently, but I don't know who the guy is. I'll google it later.

Anyway, he spends every waking moment either getting food, building shelter, or making improvements to his food and shelter. Lived like that for years before he finally got too old and had to go to a nursing home, where he died pretty quickly. You want tough? That old man was tough as nails, and as gentle as could be. I need to watch that again.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I watch that every time it comes on the local stations. I even stay tuned through the d*mn pledge breaks. That guy is in-credible. I love the part where he's making hinges for his dutch door. Such attention to detail. And how he transmogrifies the metal containers for his foodstuffs into pots and pans. I think about how the has to set up all these shots. He must have had to do many things twice or more to get it when the camera's rolling. Impressive show, awesome man.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #27
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Krispy Kreme are the worst.... YUCK.
i'm not a donought person really, I don't think I'd had one before that for a couple of years at least but they seemed pretty good. *shrugs*.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #28
Murphonian Logic
Deprogramming dave matthews cult members

Love doughnuts. The biggest mistake Wawa ever made was to toss Dunkin Doughnuts as a vendor and start selling their own make of shitty douchnuts. Starbucks makes good coffee, but I'm not enought of a junkie to understand the whole ritualistic habits of daily coffee drinkers.
I was too lazy to go back and find out the KFC thing was at the beginning of the thread.
Murphonian Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:52 AM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Starbucks Coffee does indeed suck major ass, but they are sometimes the only port in the storm.

Chick-Fil-A Nuggets use actual chicken chunks. They have an interesting blend of spices in their breading. They are the best damn nuggets available. Their sandwiches are made just right ... tender, juicy, and crispy all at the same time. They even manage to give them to you with no pickle if you ask for it that way ... and they don't just scrape the pickles off like some other fast food restaurants that are attempting to be fast for people at the mercy of the drive thru. I experienced great joy when they started opening stand-alone restaurants so that I am no longer forced to go to the mall when I want some of their stuff. They also have majorly good coleslaw, and chicken soup that a Jewish Grandmother would be likely to buy in bulk and put in her own pot to fool the family.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #30
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
If you want to know what it's like to live off the land successfully, find a copy of "Alone in the Wilderness," a documentary filmed in Alaska in the 60s or 70s. It's been on PBS recently, but I don't know who the guy is. I'll google it later.

Anyway, he spends every waking moment either getting food, building shelter, or making improvements to his food and shelter. Lived like that for years before he finally got too old and had to go to a nursing home, where he died pretty quickly. You want tough? That old man was tough as nails, and as gentle as could be. I need to watch that again.
I saw that when it was on our local PBS station recently. It was laughable. First, the film was sped up so it was faster than real life. It was most obvious when he was sawing or hammering that it was being shown at about 1.5 speed or so. Laws of physics determine how fast you can swing a hammer. Doesn't matter how strong or fast you are, two people with the same length arm will swing a hammer of identical weight at the same speed. That's how pendulums on clocks are able to be used to tell time. He was clearly swinging his hammer faster than any human I've ever seen. The saw too. Also, for any given task, he would show 1 step (usually the most visually insteresting one) and skip the other ten steps he had to follow to get to that point and to go past that point.

Yes. He built a log cabin in the wilderness. Yes. That's hard work and it's not something seen on TV every day, so it's neat to watch. But that "documentary" was so biased as to the amount of work you can get done in a set period of time that I would almost classify it as fiction. Shows like "This Old House" make it look like you can do significant amounts of work in a weekend afternoon. It's part of the way material is presented on TV to keep it interesting, but at least those home improvement shows don't speed up the reels.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote