The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-08-2004, 10:37 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The construction of this bridge appears to be very similar to the construction of our convention center here in KC. The roof deck is suspended from cables, anchored to vertical pillars in much the same fashion. I think Chicago's is also built this way. Try to ignore the astoundingly ugly "artworks" atop each pylon, especially the one that looks like a giant haircurler.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2004, 11:17 PM   #17
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Oh my...I might have to travel to France just to see/travel on that. I'll bet the views are spectacular from the top. I wonder if they're going to put outlooks anywhere along or near the bridge for people to stop and look out over that valley. That valley screams photo-op.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:13 AM   #18
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
...I wonder if they're going to put outlooks anywhere along or near the bridge for people to stop and look out over that valley. That valley screams photo-op.
That and BASE jumping.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:29 AM   #19
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

I am amazed at the obstacles mankind can overcome when willing. However, I am baffled by the lesser immenent problems that man either overlooks or is unwilling to challenge for whatever reason.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:15 AM   #20
chrisinhouston
Professor

It appear that the design is a new twist on a suspension bridge. Let's hope they did their homework and it doesn't go the way of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bridge/tacoma3.html
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
I am amazed at the obstacles mankind can overcome when willing. However, I am baffled by the lesser immenent problems that man either overlooks or is unwilling to challenge for whatever reason.
Neither overlooked nor unwillingness.......It's potential profit that spurs development. When we were a nation of people that could do things with our hands, often people would come up with a solution to their particular problem, then they or someone else would take that solution and market it.
Now, we rely on others to invent solutions for problems we don't know we already have.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:37 AM   #22
York
Operations Operative

Ive read and seen the start of the building off the tallest building somewhere in Asia....i live close to France but never heard or seen anything about this!
Its a spectacular view and gives many possibilities to different people, but it looks to unreal to me...in a piece off nature like that, it just doenst fit! Dont dont have Quakes like u all know them in France...but they will have a pretty good terrorist-target!
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #23
russotto
Professor

Cable-stayed bridge. Differs from a classic suspension bridge in that the load is carried entirely from the towers, not the anchorages. I think they're also different in that the deck is a structural element; in a classic suspension bridge the deck is just hanging from the cables that make up the bridge.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:48 AM   #24
Mundofer
Alphabetarian

Better later than never....

You have LOTS of photographs (more than 300) of this viaduct in all stages of construction in

http://www.structurae.net/structures...fm?ID=s0000351

Enjoy them.
Dave Clark, Chairman of the Internet Activities Board (IETF)
==============================
Mundofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #25
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Neither overlooked nor unwillingness.......It's potential profit that spurs development. When we were a nation of people that could do things with our hands, often people would come up with a solution to their particular problem, then they or someone else would take that solution and market it.
Now, we rely on others to invent solutions for problems we don't know we already have.

I"m sure you understand that my reply was a metaphor. THe bridge crossing the mighty obstacle. My point was when people get together to solve proplems an answer can be attained. Bidges of this size, take extreme time and fortitude to complete. It takes may years to accomplish such a feat.
My question is, why not put the same effort to some of lifes social and economic problems that have exited ten times longer than it took to build the bidge. If we are depending on others to invent solutions for our individual
problems; shame on us!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
My question is, why not put the same effort to some of lifes social and economic problems that have exited ten times longer than it took to build the bidge.
tell me about the potential profit margin in beating drug addiction, homelessness, and unemployment and i'll solve all 3 in 2005.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the profit potential is large enough, make that the first quarter of '05.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #28
axlrosen
Major Inhabitant

As if the thing wasn't already impressive enough, they went and shot fireworks off of it for its inauguration.

Also, here's a pretty funny article about the inauguration. He points out something I hadn't thought of, while staring at its beauty: "Amidst all this hyperbole, it's easy to overlook one of the fundamental truths of modern engineering: it is extremely hard to build an ugly bridge."

axlrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #29
YellowBolt
I lurk with the best of them

Location: not close to philadelphia. :( well, not THAT close.

Sexy fog shot.

I'm kinda wondering though, what kinds of things will happen to this bridge when terrorism gets involved.
YellowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:55 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That shouldn't be a problem since the french support the terrorists.