The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It'd be a trademark issue if anything, not a copyright issue.

I've seen registered band/singer names (Chicago, Billy Joel, the "Aphex" in Aphex Twin), but never a song title...though in theory, it could be done.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:30 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But the music and lyrics are copyrighted so why would the title be a trademark issue, if anything at all?
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:14 AM   #18
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I'm not interested in hearing the song but the pic of the cat is cute.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:57 AM   #19
staceyv
Lecturer

lumberjim: thanks! your advice is good. one thing though- that's not my husband on lead guitar, that is all me- why would you assume it's him?
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:35 AM   #20
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by staceyv
lumberjim: thanks! your advice is good. one thing though- that's not my husband on lead guitar, that is all me- why would you assume it's him?
i don't know. I guess I just pictured you two playing and singing together? now i'm even more impressed. couple q?'s:

can you sing and play lead at the same time? ( i can't...i'm too busy making retard faces when i play to be able to sing more than a chorus or something)

what kind of guitar do you play?

what did you use to lay your tracks down and mix them?

how do you record them into mp3 format?

I play a Stratocaster, and had an 8 track recorder at one point and mixed a few songs onto cassette tape, but i've always wondered about midi input and mixing etc....
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #21
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
But the music and lyrics are copyrighted so why would the title be a trademark issue, if anything at all?
A copyright "protects an original expression (artistic or otherwise)." A trademark "protects a word, phrase, symbol, design, or combination of these things." (soyouwanna.com)

But since the music and lyrics are already copyrighted, it's really not worth it (in my opinion) to try and register the title as a trademark. And depending on the title, it may be so common that the USPTO may be unwilling to register it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #22
russotto
Professor

For some strange reason, titles generally aren't trademarkable.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ah so, thanks Syc. Come to think of it, I would think the title would be part of the lyrics, but I guess not. Well, I always knew the music business was nuts.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:42 PM   #24
staceyv
Lecturer

okay lumberjim...to answer your questions, i mostly play rhythm and sing although i can play the day tripper riff or something like that and sing along to it. when i play at an open mic i bring along my blue sparkle top limited edition gibson les paul, but i dont like that guitar at home because it hurts my back. i used a "Rockwood Pro" (dirt cheap stratocaster wanna-be) for the recording. i love that cheap guitar! it was my first electric and it has nice sound and it's so comfortable... to record the drum machine, bass, rhythm and lead guitars, i used a $99.00 4-track. there was no room for vocals, but then my husband got a computer, so we got Sonar software which has unlimited tracks, effects, etc...i plugged the 4-track into the back of the computer, played it into sonar, went back, added vocals, and using the same program, exported it into a wav. file. my husband's the one who turned it into mp3 somehow. so you could totally turn those cassettes you have into mp3s, just get sonar software for your computer. (some people have been known to pirate it from kazaa)
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

thanks! i have no idea what happened to the tapes, and the songs were not good, but that's definately somthing i'll look into.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #26
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I just went and listened to your song, my favourite part is the first little bit, about wearing a person as a pair of your favourite jeans. It brings a smile to me and its a good song that can do that. I also love the guitar, very cruisy. I liked "my love". well done.