The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 12:11 PM   #16
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
That guy in the middle sure looks like he's pointing his rifle at the little kid, which is a big no-no. He was probably in the middle of turning around and the picture snapped at just the right time.
Actually, it looks like the kid's packin heat. I think he's about to pull his gat outta his gansta flops and bust a cap, yo! GI Joe has the right idea about puttin the middle-man trace on tha periph. Knowwhatimean, G?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:26 PM   #17
ndetroit
Master Locutor

Aye, I was wondering about the 2nd soldier, and the fact that it looks like he's pointing his gun at the kid...

Does the army have some sort of "release process" for these photographs that make it through the various press outlets? IE: Wouldn't someone in charge screen this out, (as it looks like the soldier might have been in the process of turning around, and the photographer just happened to take the pic at that moment), to get rid of shots that accidently make the army look bad?

.. Or is this photographer just some reporter that just happened to be along for the ride, or in afghanistan, on assignment, and happened to see some soldiers? (IE: they aren't allowed to nicely ask him to please don't give that photo out?)
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:49 PM   #18
And
Conjunction

The pic is only 2-D. While you can get some idea of depth and angle off the gun's position, but you can't really be all that sure he's pointing directly at the kid or if his gun is really angled more out into the street...
Old 11-19-2002, 03:42 PM   #19
jaguar
whig

He's looking directly at the kid, i'm pretty sure he's pointing it at him. Doesn't look too set up, the guy on the left doesn't look too happy about the kodak moment.

I thought the M4s they were using had forward handles standard?
Old 11-19-2002, 04:46 PM   #20
Tobiasly
hot

I bet this wasn't an official Army photo ndetroit. They can't stop reporters from snapping photos.

I don't know about M4's, jaguar. Like I said, NG is a few years behind active duty; we still use M16A2's. I think we're supposed to get M4's in the next month or two though.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #21
jaguar
whig

Anyone knwo waht the thing under the barrel is? I'm pretty sure the one above is just a laser sight but the one below has me stumped. IR lamp or something?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:34 PM   #22
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Anyone knwo waht the thing under the barrel is? I'm pretty sure the one above is just a laser sight but the one below has me stumped. IR lamp or something?
Not a lamp, but an IR targeting light. Like the red dots you see in movies before someone gets capped, but you can only see it through night vision goggles.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:23 PM   #23
Angelus
What kinda name is that?

One of the things that really strikes me about this shot is the height difference among the men. It almost looks like a photoshop job.

Last edited by Angelus; 11-20-2002 at 10:45 AM.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:57 PM   #24
juju
no one of consequence

High difference? What on earth do you mean?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:02 AM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
High difference? What on earth do you mean?
Just going out on a limb, i think he means that either the one guy is exceptionally tall, or the two guys in front of him are exceptionally short. It is interesting, in terms of photgraphic composition, but I think that detail, in accordance with military tradition (and reasonably good tactical practice) arranged themselves alphabetically by height.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 08:46 AM   #26
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
alphabetically by height.
Is that where four comes between five and six? You do work for NASA?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 07:53 AM   #27
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Re: knee pads

Quote:
Originally posted by jtm
What's with the knee protection? Seems a lot of the special forces guys also wear them. Do they dive to the ground and crawl along there that often?
Yep - Look at anyone doing CQB (Close Quaters battle) - you'll see elbow/knee pads, usually gloves and goggles

Common trick on BDU pants - the knees are double fabric - slice the stitching, and put 3/8" or so of foam rubber between the layers and restitch! Not great "On base", but in the field
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote