The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'm not sure there is a big enough difference in any of the games. The graphics are insane on all the ones I've seen, but I don't have a big screen super tv either. What difference that makes - I've no idea.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
hackhelios
Sun Hacker

Random link from a friend via Facebook:

#4.Nintendo DS vs. Sony PlayStation Portable

Everyone expected Sony's new, hand-size PlayStation to trounce Nintendo's weird looking dual-screen second cousin of the Game & Watch. It didn't happen. Today, Nintendo's required by Federal Law to hold their DS releases until weekends in Japan, since children will ditch school for days to pick up any Mario-, Zelda or Dragon Quest title. Heck, even Nintendogs sold millions of copies, and it looked plain silly sitting next to Animal Crossing, Tetris and Pokemon.
Of course, Sony didn't do itself any favors with the most horrible marketing blitz known to mankind. From jive-talking squirrels to sexy European models face-masking black people, Sony's ads for the PSP played out like a train wreck in bullet time. You couldn't make bad press like this if you shot the Pope and played the bongos with his head.
Just one of many awkward reasons Sony's Ad Department couldn't properly market the PSP.

Also, UMDs never really picked up, and load times on most games were horrendous. That disc drive on the PSP sounded like trucks downshifting on raw gravel. Still, you have to give Sony credit for sticking to its less successful, socially awkward child. To this day, the PSP still commands a healthy market share in the portable gaming world, and downsized, slightly cheaper versions of God of War, Tekken and Metal Gear are nothing to sneeze at. Even games like LocoRoco and Patapon have their cult fan followings.
The Victors: Casual gamers, who picked up the DS and finally found out what all this video game nonsense was about.
The Casualties: Sony's brand image, which went from simply being weird in the PS2 era to just getting outright embarrassed in their desperation to outperform the Nintendo DS.
The Fallout: Sony's actively trying to reinvent the PSP for its nebulous demographic, while the DS is still printing money, with 100 Million sold today.

Read more here: http://www.gamepro.com/article/featu...-console-wars/

I can vouch for their review of the Nintendo DS. It doesn't play Blue-Ray (I watch movies on my iPod Touch), but the games are intense.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

What I have read is that it only makes a difference if you have the high-def TV to take advantage of it.

I don't have a flat screen tv yet because I'm not ready to spend $500 on a TV - no matter how good it looks. When 27" tvs get down to $300 or so, then I'll be interested.