The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yes...one could. But one could also suggest that there are appropriate and sensible audiences for that honesty and transparancy....and telling your main creditors that you are in the bin might not be sensible if you don't want them to withdraw credit.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Thats ok - Its Bush's fault.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
So if China decides all of sudden not to buy any more bonds and our economy goes back into a tailspin, we can blame that guy.
Maybe.

We'd also have to think that the Chinese are smart enough to have thought may--be the investment here isn't quite what it was in the past all on their own.

They know BS when they hear it. Even when it's the Treasury Secretary himself trying to deny reality.

"Chinese assets are very safe," Geithner said in response to a question after a speech at Peking University, where he studied Chinese as a student in the 1980s.

His answer drew loud laughter from his student audience

So, while I do admire the complete disregard of financial reality within the O supporters, it appears to many Chinese and Americans that what this admin is spinning is complete bullshit AND that we are in serious trouble.

This would be the case whether a D or an R is in office though, to be fair. This entire problem with debt, future obligations and non-stop printing presses put us in a very tight spot.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
sugarpop
Professor

Well, I am really not fond of all this spending either, and I am worried about the deficit, but I honestly believe that had we not spent all that money, we would be now where we were in the 30s, in another great depression. There have been a few people in the financial sector on TV lately who said people don't realize how close we actually came to complete collapse. Like, serious financial collapse, and everything that goes along with that. And, we still are not out of it yet. It could very well turn back around and go south again. NOT SPENDING really wasn't an option. If we had done that, we would be in a very different situation now. I believe that.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #20
classicman

I believe UT posted a graph that you may want to look at. There are some who disagree. Some are even predicting a severe drop again when the money that the Gov't has spent runs out and the states are forced to keep spending to account for it. That's the main reason some Governors didn't want to take the money in the first place. Of course they were probably all R's so that can't be right.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
sugarpop
Professor

I think MOST economists disagree and believe we had to spend. Of course there were a few who disagreed. But most of them said we needed to spend.

The people I'm referring to, I'm trying to remember, I think one of them was Donnie Deutsch, and I believe the other one was Ken Lewis, CEO of Bank of America. It was some bank CEO anyway. I'm trying to remember who else. I watch CNBC sometimes, and I watch Morning Joe, and sometimes they have financial people on there, so it was one of those two places where I heard it, by more than one person. I wish I had written it down so I could remember. I've never had anyone question my sources the way you do.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
classicman

I learned the hard way to back up what you say - especially something that inflammatory.

By the way - did you see the interview on Morning Joe this am regarding how the oversight of the financial district is going to be structured? It was a guest host (cannot remember his name) bt he hammered the woman who was spouting the party line and he kept cutting her off asking very specific questions to which she had very few replies. It was very good.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
sugarpop
Professor

I have missed Morning Joe the past few days because my cats have been wreaking havok with my sleep cycle, waking me numerous times in the middle of the night. I love that show though. I especially like Mika (big surprise huh?). I have a huge amount of respect for her, considering the little boy antics she puts up with from Joe and "the boys" on the show.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #24
lookout123
changed his status to single

OK, now I've got a question. Why is it wrong to want Obama to fail? I hope he fails at his attempt for a national health plan. I hope he fails at his attempts to raise taxes. I believe he is failing in his handling of the auto and finance industries.

Wanting policies you wholeheartedly disagree with to fail seems logical to me. Is it only wrong because we're all supposed to love Obama?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The final price, is what's wrong. What he's paying for, is what's wrong.

The demise of your, and my, country...that's what's wrong.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #26
lookout123
changed his status to single

To be clear I don't feel Obama's failure = US failure. I believe Obama success = US long term failure.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #27
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That's where we differ: I really felt that continuing along the old path would equal long term failure.

Only years from now will history tell us who was right.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
OK, now I've got a question. Why is it wrong to want Obama to fail? I hope he fails at his attempt for a national health plan. I hope he fails at his attempts to raise taxes. I believe he is failing in his handling of the auto and finance industries.

Wanting policies you wholeheartedly disagree with to fail seems logical to me. Is it only wrong because we're all supposed to love Obama?
Because. It's saying you want the country to go down in a ball of flames.

It's ridiculous to not raise taxes. Bush handed out tax cuts that weren't paid for. Well, now we need that money. Taxes under Reagan were higher than they are today, and he was the darling of the republican party. Why do people think they should just not have to pay any taxes? It's ludicrous.

So you want health care to continue the way it has been? Great. We'll be #67th in the world before long, instead of #37th. Regardless of what people think, and like to chant like a mantra, we do not have anywhere NEAR the best health care in the world.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #29
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Mark Kirk is the least of our worries SP

This is surely just a misunderstanding of some type. Nothing to it. Completely innocent. Not_a_thing to be concerned with.

None of the mainstream media are covering it so that means...it's not a problem. Or better yet, it's a fake story dreamed up by Fox News.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #30
classicman

Well we all know how well thought of those Fox news guys are. So it must just be a figment of your imagination slang.