The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #16
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Well, using that logic, the concept of mountain kind of breaks down. Since a mountain is basically created by colliding plates, I guess it would be fair to use some agreed upon height of the two contributing plates as a baseline. That may not address all the concerns but at least it allows for a comparison of different mountains.

Using the pure measure of the distance from the center of the earth would unduly penalize moutains further away from the equator that rose higher above their surrounding plates than equatorial counterparts which start from an already higher point.

Someone who pole vaults 21' (ok, three meters - happy now :-) in Ecuador hasn't really jumped higher than someone who pole vaults 21' in Moscow.

The highest point on the earth and the tallest mountain on earth could very well be two different places.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, if you're talking about the TALLEST mountain on earth, it's Kilamanjaro. It protrudes furthest from its surrounding plains. Everest is on a step stool.

Suppose Jeremiah is one fathom tall, and Nathaniel towers two cubits and a span, yet the former mounts a step-stool fully five nails in height, who are we to say which is nearer the sun?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Sea level is the stander for measuring mountains that is why it is used. It is an arbitrary standard, like all measurements, set so we may talk about such things.

As for the software itself...it seem interesting. Having straight valid data could prove very useful perhaps I could get rid of my CRC

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Forunately, neither. Bonus points for remembering the Forbin Project, tho.

For some reason, I think about that movie more than I used to...

I remember what happened to the guy who tried to pull the plug.

Much as I really dig Eric Braeden (including remembering when he was working under his real name, Hans Gudegast. He was the head Kraut on The Rat Patrol), I always think of the books first.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
Tiki

Have you guys been playing with Wolfram/Alpha? It's pretty neat. First thing I used it for was some statistical comparative data that I had to look up the hard way last month... it answered my question instantly, and I didn't even have to do the calculations myself!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
What is the answer? To life, the universe and everything?
http://www96.wolframalpha.com/input/...and+everything
Old 05-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn, Wolfram/Alpha can be very handy, save a lot of time.

I found out I was born on Yom Kippur, too.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #23
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

http://www96.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=A+nice+hat

A little off

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have not found a use for this thing yet.

From Flint's link
Quote:
In March, Nova Spivack, CEO of Radar Networks, talked with Wolfram about the new system and described how it’s difference from Google.

“It doesn’t simply return documents that (might) contain the answers, like Google does, and it isn’t just a giant database of knowledge, like the Wikipedia. It doesn’t simply parse natural language and then use that to retrieve documents, like Powerset, for example.

Instead, Wolfram Alpha actually computes the answers to a wide range of questions — like questions that have factual answers such as “What is the location of Timbuktu?” or “How many protons are in a hydrogen atom?,” “What was the average rainfall in Boston last year?,” “What is the 307th digit of Pi?,” or “what would 80/20 vision look like?”
=--What is the location of Timbuktu?

It maps it on an extremely simple map, which is OK but really inferior to Google Maps. If you ask Google, the first result says "Timbuktu is widely used to describe a place extremely far away and regarded by many as a myth. In reality it's a city in Mali." Which is better information than W|A gave you. Google wins.

=--How many protons are in a hydrogen atom?

Both answer this question, but Google not only answers this question directly as its first result, it also links to the Wikipedia entry for Hydrogen, which is more useful. Google wins.

=--What was the average rainfall in Boston last year?

Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input. That's OK because the question is strange. The average per what? Maybe try the *total* rainfaul in Boston last year.

Related inputs to try:
* rainfall in Boston last year

OK, What was the rainfall in Boston last year?

It shows the location of Boston's primary weather station.

Google does no better on these questions, but has links where you could conceivably look for the information. It's a draw.

=--What is the 307th digit of Pi?

W|A gets this correct. Google's entries are all about the text at Flint's link. The second result criticizes W|A:

Quote:
"If you look up the definition of Google it simply says, "an index of stuff that matters" .

The sad news is that the 307th digit of Pi - DOES NOT MATTER."
Heh heh. W|A wins, but Google's result is more interesting: it doesn't matter.

=--What does 80/20 vision look like?

Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input. Google doesn't display the vision, but links to text that explains the system of measuring vision, which is about as good a result as we'd expect at this time in history. Google wins.

So, for the five questions that the founder felt were interesting things that W|A could do better than Google, the final score is Google 3, W|A 1. And I was using the natural language queries which W|A is supposed to handle and Google is not.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Lastly, W|A's results are displayed not as regular text, but as graphical text that can't be easily cut and pasted. This makes it that much less useful. W|A will be relegated to pocket calculator status for the types of computations that are ideal for it: uniform and memorable, and Google will remain where we get all our real world questions answered.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #26
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Here's a more in depth discussion plus a link to a firefox add-on that integrates W|A with Google results:

Lifehacker post on W|A
Old 05-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #27
Datalyss
Huh?

And here's what CNET TV has on it.

BTW, ya'll realize "42" is from HGTTG. WA couldn't give you an original answer anymore than I can stifle a fart.
Datalyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

This is a really cool feature.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote