The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

ok, serious question here merc - when you think about hillary do you get horny?

wait, no that isn't what i wanted to ask.

when you think about hillary what makes your skin crawl more, her name or her politics?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, why can't we get a hot bitch, like Margaret Thatcher or Golda Meir?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #18
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
ok, serious question here merc -

when you think about hillary what makes your skin crawl more, her name or her politics?
Her politics and her history the last time she was that close to the center of power.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yeah, why can't we get a hot bitch, like Margaret Thatcher or Golda Meir?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The Times notices.

Quote:
Nearly $100,000 went for party platters and groceries before the Iowa caucuses, even though the partying mood evaporated quickly. Rooms at the Bellagio luxury hotel in Las Vegas consumed more than $25,000; the Four Seasons, another $5,000. And top consultants collected about $5 million in January, a month of crucial expenses and tough fund-raising.

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s latest campaign finance report, published Wednesday night, appeared even to her most stalwart supporters and donors to be a road map of her political and management failings. Several of them, echoing political analysts, expressed concerns that Mrs. Clinton’s spending priorities amounted to costly errors in judgment that have hamstrung her competitiveness against Senator Barack Obama of Illinois.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Okay, but you all know Barak is the Anti-Christ, right? I mean, everyone knows it; you can't keep a prophecy from happening. What did the Mayans say? 12-21-2012 and that's all, Folks!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #22
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Because that's when we'll hit peak oil and the world's economies will collapse?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Because that's when we'll hit peak oil and the world's economies will collapse?

who knows what the prevailing factor will be? I might even be the collapse of Starbucks (I hope, I hope).
Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #24
Jacquelita
Don't pop a vein

Sorry - Aside from being a good public speaker what has Obama done to make you think he can accomplish all of these great changes?

What has he done... period?
Jacquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
lookout123
changed his status to single

nobody i've talked to can come up with an answer for that question J. a lot of vague talk about change, but change what exactly? change it how? from my point of view i love what i hear obama saying but when i look at where he has come from all i see is a guy meticulously groomed for this run.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

That's whut I'm talkin' 'bout.

Mesmerizing the crowds with a lot of...what? Flashy, rock-starish, smoooooooooooooth, good-looking, "change, gwaaak, change, gwaaak!" WTF is he talking about?????
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
glatt

Reminds me a little of this column I started to read on the front page of the Business section of the Washington Post.

I didn't paste the whole thing. It goes into detail about qualifications and campaign proposals listed on Barak Obama's web page.

Quote:
There's the Beef
Steven Pearlstein

During the course of our endless presidential campaigns, lots of silly things are said by the candidates and the press. But few are more ridiculous than the idea that Barack Obama is just an empty suit.

We're talking here about a former president of the Harvard Law Review. Have you ever met the people who get into Harvard Law School? You might not choose them as friends or lovers or godparents to your children, but -- trust me on this -- there aren't many lightweights there. And Obama was chosen by all the other overachievers as top dog. Compared with the current leader of the free world, this guy is Albert Einstein.

Given his youth and relatively short time in government, it's fair to ask if Obama has the wisdom and experience to be president. But it's quite another to suggest that he has no vision, no program, no specifics.

Let's begin with the fact that he has written two books (all by himself, unlike a certain other candidate). The first offers a compelling personal narrative that, for some reason, is dismissed as puffery by a presumptive Republican nominee who first ran for office on the strength of his compelling personal narrative. The second book is a thoroughly readable, intelligent and well-reasoned discourse on politics and policy that offers a fresh perspective on a wide range of issues.

Obama has participated in 18 televised presidential debates in which he has managed to hold his own not only with Hillary the Wonkette, but also with the Senate's leading light on foreign affairs, a former United Nations ambassador and a former vice presidential candidate who was a skilled trial lawyer. I watched most of the debates, and while I didn't agree with everything he said, I don't recall thinking that Obama was in over his head.

Now that Obama is sprinting toward the finish line in the Democratic marathon, his opponents are suddenly asking, "Where's the beef?"

If it's beef you like, all you have to do is go to http://barackobama.com, where you will find a refrigerator case packed with prime policy meat. That may come as something of a surprise to you, considering how utterly lacking in substance the reporting and analysis has been over the last year. But it's all there -- as much as or more than is offered by other candidates and certainly as much as any voter would require.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

He hasn't talked about specifics and accomplishments, because the first emotional sale was the right approach to get to where he is now. Now the campaign will change and talk about those things. I'm watching the rebroadcast of the Univision debate right now, and Obama's message is changing.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

see, what pisses me off is the "Hillary the Wonkette" thing. I already don't like the guy.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #30
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
see, what pisses me off is the "Hillary the Wonkette" thing. I already don't like the guy.
I took that as a compliment. Maybe I'm out of touch, living inside the Beltway.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote