The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #16
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I think our politicians are just a real horny, hypocritical bunch.
But... um... I'm not a politician!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Down boy!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
rkzenrage

But I'm not.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #19
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Was that it? He was tapping his foot in a stall? I'm really hoping somebody comes forward and extrapolates that, because otherwise this is just a witch-hunt.

Also, there are other reasons people can oppose rampant laws granting certain groups additional rights not afforded to the rest of us. I don't know enough about him to say if he was truly bigoted or not, but voting no to that stuff is not de-facto gay hunting hatred.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
Was that it? He was tapping his foot in a stall? I'm really hoping somebody comes forward and extrapolates that, because otherwise this is just a witch-hunt.
Why would he plead guilty to a lesser charge though? In this situation, it doesn't seem to make sense.

It also doesn't help that he has been linked to being gay in the past...that's not necessarily fair to him, but it's there.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 08-28-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: My original 2nd paragraph didn't really convey what I wanted to say
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

Is foot tapping a form of gaydar?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #22
elSicomoro

If that's the case, you must be rooty tooty fresh n' fruity.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

what's a repubican?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #24
Griff
still says videotape

It's what happens if you don't keep your Brazillian tidy.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #25
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
what's a repubican?
Those are the hypersexual republicans.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so..its like a democat?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #27
elSicomoro

Ummm...yeah. I got them confused with the Demoscats for a minute...those are the real freaky-deak Dems.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #28
elSicomoro

"I'm not gay, damnit!!!"

Why do I see a Ted Haggard moment coming here?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #29
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Haggard's newest dream crumbles with molester link

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
"I'm not gay, damnit!!!"

Why do I see a Ted Haggard moment coming here?
Good timing (from here):

Pastor Ted Haggard's dream of ministering to fellow "broken people" at a Phoenix halfway house has foundered amid revelations that he urged donations to support his family be sent to a Monument group run by a twice-convicted sex offender.
The revelation that Haggard asked supporters to give him tax-deductible donations via a nonprofit run by Paul Gerard Huberty, a registered sex offender from Monument, is just the latest twist in the bizarre saga of the fallen preacher.
Haggard, 50, last year quit as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and was fired as pastor of a Colorado Springs megachurch after he admitted to purchasing drugs and unspecified "sexual immorality" involving a male prostitute.

In February, one of Haggard's spiritual advisers said the ousted founder of New Life Church emerged from three weeks of intensive counseling convinced "he is completely heterosexual" and committed to his marriage.
In the fundraising pitch, Haggard told KRDO "we are looking for people who will help us monthly for two years" while he and his wife seek counseling degrees at the University of Phoenix.
"If any supporters need a tax deduction for their gift, they can mail it to Families With a Mission ...," Haggard added.
Haggard didn't note in the solicitation that he was paid one year's salary of $138,000 in a severance package by New Life's board and still owns a Colorado Springs home valued at $715,000, according to the El Paso County Assessor's Office.
Haggard's 2006 salary was reported as $115,000 plus a $85,000 bonus. He also collects royalties on his book titles, although it was unknown how much he receives from that. His books were pulled from the New Life Church's bookstore when the scandal broke.
Jones said Haggard's plea for financial help was "sad and embarrassing."
"When I exposed Ted Haggard, I exposed myself," he said. "I lost everything. My life is still in boxes and I haven't asked my best friend for help. Here's a man who left with hundreds of thousands of dollars. The ultimate word is greed. For all the people who came down on me for ruining a man's life, this is another example of what this man is like. He would stoop to anything regarding money."

Huberty, who originally incorporated the nonprofit in Hawaii in 2001, was listed as president of Families with a Mission in Colorado incorporation papers.
Huberty was convicted of attempted sexual assault in Hawaii in January 2004 and sentenced to 12 months in jail with six months suspended.
He also received five years of probation and is registered in Hawaii as sex offender who has committed crimes against a minor. Because of the Hawaii conviction, he is also registered in El Paso County.
The Hawaiian state sex offender registry lists Huberty's Monument home address — which also is the mailing address for Families with a Mission.
Calls to Huberty's home — where the voice mail has a man named "Paul" saying to leave a message and "God bless you" — were not returned Monday.
While serving with the U.S. Air Force in Germany in 1996, then-Lt. Col. Paul G. Huberty was convicted of sodomy, indecent acts, and adultery involving a 17-year girl who accompanied Huberty to Europe as his "legal ward," according to military court records.
In the same trial, the 18-year Army veteran also was convicted of "dishonorably fondling his genitals" during an incident involving two Dutch women at a public swimming pool in the Netherlands.
Huberty, who was a married father of three at the time, was dismissed from the military and sentenced to six months confinement, court records show.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was listening to Hannity this afternoon, and it appears that the linked news article downplayed what the not-quite-so-Honorable Senator was doing.

From what I remember hearing, the "foot tapping" was more like foot protruding under the stall tapping the undercover cop on his foot, which is part of the signaling of intent, and was also waving his hand under the partition.

In the woman's room these same actions would be interpreted as having difficulty inserting a tampon in an overly cramped stall, and also having discovered that there is no toilet paper left on your roll.

Guys are weird.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote