The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
kerosene
Touring the facilities

My husband has had the V. If he didn't, I don't think I would use anything, since hormonal bc messes with me so dramatically.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have a 3 year implant in my arm - Implanon single proestogen only if that makes it any clearer.

It's due for renewal, and I'm debating as to whether to bother.
I get on with it perfectly well - no bleeding, no hormonal mood swings, it's been such a boon in that way.

But as I don't have sex any more () I wonder if I can justify it.
I might, just to be on the safe side. Getting it taken out will be pretty grim - I might as well have another one in there at the same time.

I'm quite an evangelist about it in real life - I recommend it to any pre-menopausal woman I meet. Well, if the subject comes up I mean! I've been trying to get my 16yo co-worker on it. She's considering the 3 monthly injection now as a halfway house (I was on Depo-provera for 6 years).

As an aside - it amazes me how many of my friends/ colleagues don't know the name of their contraceptive medicine. I've always known mine - and read up on it independently, even before the internet was available as a tool. I can only assume it's because contraception is free in this country, so people take whatever their given. Me, I like to know about what I'm taking - I had to ask for the implant, it wasn't offered to me despite the fact it saves the NHS money. "We don't find mony women are interested" was the response.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #18
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, this is a timely topic for me. Prior to polyamory, no BC was necessary as Selene has had her baby making equipment retired. Now, however, the grim world of latex has been foisted upon me. Grim, because, at 50...I can't feel a damn thing with one on. I therefore find myself in the curious and unenviable position of having a lot of sex...but not having a lot of orgasms. While I still enjoy the process, the intimacy, the opportunity to have my partner writhe and moan and be generally appreciative, repeated fruitless gyrations are beginning to wear on my psyche.

I'm pretty sure I'm headed for a vasectomy as a result.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
Pie
Gone and done

IUD, Mirena. Before that, the pill for over a decade.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Nada. And let me tell you, that can have unpredictable results, even if you think you're past the baby-making age.

Stormie

<who had a baby two years ago - and I'm in my mid 40's now>
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

I am getting the V on Friday.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #22
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

My boss was back at work the afternoon he had his V. Fuckwit.

Pie - how long have you had your Mirena and how have you found it?

Stormie - nice to see you around again.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #23
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Thanks Ducks! I didn't think anyone noticed my lack of posts lately (just really busy, although reading when I can).

By the way, I've used Depo-Prevara shots as well as pills. I have gotten pregnant on the pill and learned that you really must read the fine print carefully. If you get too toasted and worship the porcelan god, use alternative bc. If you take antibiotics, use alternative bc. During the week of placebo pills, use alternative bc. Seriously. I have proof, age 19.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #24
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
Pie - how long have you had your Mirena and how have you found it?
Since February. Getting it in hurt like a mofo! I had premedicated with Advil -- didn't make a damns' worth of difference. (To calibrate to pain scale, I've had gallstones -- this hurt worse.) Took the whole day off work (Friday) and had the weekend to recuperate. I had a week of bad cramping, two weeks of milder cramping, 1 week of very light cramping... And some light spotting of blood for the first two months. I continued on the pill for the first month as a "backup" method (since spontaneous expulsion can happen early on.) I've had one light period since I went off the hormones back in March.

It's been trouble-free since. I make it a habit to check for its presence once in a while, otherwise I'd never know it was there... My GP warned me that my insurance would probably not cover it, but they did! I was out $50 total - copays for two visits (pre-screening & actual insertion). Not too bad!

I was lucky with the pill, because I didn't notice any change to my moods, physical wellbeing, etc. I decided to go for a more long-term method since I am quite firmly in the "no-children-desired" camp. My husband is not so sure, so I promised that I wouldn't do something irreversible. This was a good compromise.

-Pie
Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #25
Pie
Gone and done

Oh, and DN -- if you've had kids, the procedure is far less painful. Being a nullipara makes it a lot worse.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #26
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I've had mine in since last July.

I didnt have much trouble with the insertion as I am pretty good at relaxing apparently (mild discomfort and lots of *think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts* going on).

Cramping was fine, but I found I went a bit weird for a few months, like mood swings and paranoia...which I have never had with hormones before.

My big thing is spotting after sex...especially...umm....vigorous sex...but I guess thats a bit of a pay off for months of no periods.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #27
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Condoms. Lifestyles brand. Lots of them.

Both getting an STD test this week, and she's going on the pill.

TMI?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #28
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Too Much Info.

Woo Hooo PeeWee - you will be bare back in no time
Old 07-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #29
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

I use a combination of two actually:
1. Pull Out Method
2. Prayer
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #30
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
PeeWee
I've wanted a nick-name my entire life. Thanks, DN. I appreciate it. *sniff*

Apparently no time means, "2 weeks for results." My results are ready 15 minutes after my test. (Private doc vs. Free clinic)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote