The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I wonder if we'll ever figure out what a level playing field really is. It's talked about a lot, and a lot of folks think it can be easily implemented. But as people, I think we dislike difference by design and that it's reinforced further as we grow older. It's kinda like communism--nice-sounding in theory, but hard as hell to put into reality.
Agreed, I don't think a lower class school will ever have the same standards as a higher class school.

Another problem is standardization. That is something that completely ruins the education process. All of my best teachers have been very unorthodox in their methods.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A Fooseball table is a level playing field. Who wants to be a Fooseballer, skewered, only moving in unison with the group, limited to two moves? Not me.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #18
rkzenrage

I've taught in a school with ten textbooks for every thirty kids, middle-class school. Just slipped between the cracks. Was a bussed school too.
Busing does not work. I was bussed and taught more than one bussed school. The bussed kids just segregate themselves.
The only way to end racism is stop addressing race, make that conversation as DIFFICULT as possible for those that still wish to have it.
I do it in my every day life. It works.
"What?", "I don't understand?", "Huh"?... just keep saying it.
I used to do it to my boss. It is good fun.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #19
jester
why so serious

School transfer rule may change

Supreme Court ruling to ban race as placement factor could affect Knox

By Ansley Haman (Contact)
Friday, June 29, 2007

Excerpts:
That decision could affect other school systems across the nation, including Knox County, where students currently are prohibited from transferring among public schools if doing so would upset a school’s racial balance.

Knox County’s current transfer policy defines black students as “minority” and all other students as “nonminority.”
jester is offline   Reply With Quote