The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
garnet, did you take any flak when you first popped up?
Yes, and I probably probably deserved most of it. My skin is pretty thick, so I stuck around. I don't think this guy deserved to get slammed the way he did. He's new, and went out on a limb to start a new thread. What's so hard about giving him a little encouragement? He he made a polite post and got slammed for it. If you disagree with him, fine--but it's not neccessary to attack him.

I'll never understand the stong desire around here to drive away new people. It's not a contest, and I for one wouldn't mind hearing some new points of view once in a while.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I guess my answer to this would be that sm treated Dunlavy the exact same way he would have treated me or you or any other poster. I respect that. Why should Dunlavy get a pass because he's new. sm has gored people in the past over this and, if Dunlavy had lurked and explored the history of this place before walking in and blurting out, he'd have known. But he didn't and I think Dunlavy needs to take responsibility for that and not sm. sm shouldn't have to modify his response based on the characteristics of the poster. sm, it appears to me, replys to posts and not posters.

Personally, I think that's how it ought to be.

Last edited by Beestie; 02-11-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: corrected misspelling of Dunlavy
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
if Dunlavy had lurked and explored the history of this place before walking in and blurting out, he'd have known. But he didn't and I think Dunlavy needs to take responsibility for that and not sm.
HUH? So dunlavy is now responsible for what SM said? Shouldn't people be held responsible solely for their OWN words?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #19
jaguar
whig

He is in a sense, he talked crap and got bitchslapped for it, SM wouldn't have been able to shred him if he didn't talk crap in the first place.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #20
lookout123
changed his status to single

was SM's post harsh? yep, actually i thought it was a little uncharacteristic of him, but that is ok. When it comes to philosophizin' and structuring a case for a belief SM is top notch. if you want examples, see his periodic grilling of Radar, among others, when their arguments become circular or nonsensical. he saw an immature approach to life's great questions trying to pass itself off as deep thinking and original - he responded to the post.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #21
lookout123

keep in mind that if Jaguar had responded, rather than SM, it would have sounded a little something like...
Quote:
You stupid effing american. You are too stupid and self absorbed to realize that this is not a new line of thinking, but a very old one. But, you as a stupid ugly american who probably smells bad, oppresses the poor, rubs asbestos in the faces of the old, and purposely hunt endangered animals... where was i going with this??? oh yeah, you are stupid and america sucks.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #22
garnet

Ok, lookout, so you're saying that I can personally insult you the next time I think one of your abortion arguments or pro-Bush statements is nonsensical? You'll be OK with that then, right?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #23
lookout123

actually garnet, you do post in an insulting manner sometimes, as we all do. like i said, i was a little surprised at SM's approach, but his translation of the original post was pretty darn accurate. he didn't name call, he didn't say "you are a stupid poopy-head" he simply restated, in a more obvious fashion, what the thread started with. he replied to a post without regard to who the poster was. new or old cellarite, the original post was begging for someone to walk by with an auger and set to work.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #24
Dunlavy
High Propagandist

I enjoy debating about beliefs and the such, but I don't think what SM said counts as a "debate start". I would have gladly debated my point if someone had asked me to elaborate on certain things, or state why they are skeptical rather than purposefully insult me.
Dunlavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So now that you have been specifically questioned you're not willing to respond?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #26
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
And it also serves to drive away potentially intelligent individuals who aren't interested in taking crap from strangers. Sad.
I Can't believe you made that statement. Is that not like calling the kettle black. I am sure your response will be the same as others. You doubt my intellegence, because of my lack of using proper english.That's o.k. you won't find anyone more thickskinned or as hardheaded as me. However, I do agree with you on this subject. Who are we to decide the intelligence of others.
You know I have a brother who is severely dyslexic and he happens to own three buisnesses and lives in a 2 million dollar home. He has an mba. If you saw his writing you would think it was that of a fifth grader. You know the peoples whose checks he signs don't seem to mind........ Sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors........
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #27
garnet

Sweetheart, you really need to relax. You've said the same thing in your last five posts, and in case you don't get it, nobody cares.

And BTW, you've been around since last October I can see, so you therefore aren't exactly "new." Regardless, when someone attacks me the way you did (go back to your original thesaurus comment in the other thread), I will respond in kind. Now go take your pills.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
Brown Thrasher

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
cmon, ya just know this is an 18yr old stoner. weren't you that guy once, smooth? i know i was. i've refined that into my current pickandchoosist religosophy. but is it any different really? dont beat up on the young and vulnerable. save it for dicks like mr condescendingman above me here.
Sir, your use of the english language has me encouraged. Beat me please.
I guess every site needs someone to be the token bully. But please, say something that makes sense ever so often........You don't have to be 18 to be a stoner. Apparently, you already knew that......

"Your socks are untied"

Wear sandles instead.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #29
Brown Thrasher

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Yes, and I probably probably deserved most of it. My skin is pretty thick, so I stuck around. I don't think this guy deserved to get slammed the way he did. He's new, and went out on a limb to start a new thread. What's so hard about giving him a little encouragement? He he made a polite post and got slammed for it. If you disagree with him, fine--but it's not neccessary to attack him.

I'll never understand the stong desire around here to drive away new people. It's not a contest, and I for one wouldn't mind hearing some new points of view once in a while.
I was going to be an ass, but Arthur Miller died and I am in a greiving mode.
You may want to check your senteces in this post, for I'm afraid they are flawed. I think your final paragraph may need to be questioned; not by me, but you........ Again, I apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:12 PM   #30
Dunlavy
High Propagandist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
So now that you have been specifically questioned you're not willing to respond?
I was specifically questioned? Give me a second as I go through the posts again. Seems that i've become lost through other conversations going on.

Ok, well. As responding to some. I am at a young age, and I will likely look at the things I say now and laugh at them in the future after i've come to learn more. What I wrote likely didn't make sense, guess it was "newby instincts" to try and boost myself up. Bit of a common thing for newbies... Guess i'll start on something new now.

Let's see if I can make more sense. I stated that I was bothered by those who have their own beliefs and state them as facts, when really I meant I was bothered by those who have their facts and try to force them upon me.

Secondly, I know I didn't create this myself. I've actually read multiple books and writings based on similar beliefs, which is what inspired me to be what I am now. I can't find many groups and/or people that share the same interests, so around where I am, it's somewhat of something I started here in the area, for those who haven't come in contact with such theories.

And now that I look at what I typed before, I do laugh at it. Because it does not make sense. I hold my beliefs as truths, so i'm contradicting myself. I don't feel like questioning everything, but rather take a wider look on things that have not been proven yet. If that makes any sense.

Sorry if i've come off as a noob. Situations in the real world are probobly adding to it, and i'd enjoy being able to "prove myself" in order to gain respect here.

peace

-Dunlavy

Last edited by Dunlavy; 02-11-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Dunlavy is offline   Reply With Quote