The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Hey Cous - you do realize that the article used artistic license with its oversimplification and generalization to describe a segment of our population right? I don't think Merc was saying women are weak and stupid and should be treated as such.
I understand that. From what I have seen here I think he treats his wife with respect. However, if he posts drivel, tongue in cheek or not, I will say something. (I know Merc didn't write it!) My oversimplification could easily be: Native Americans were screwed in every sense of the word. Women are still lesser in a far too great number of areas.

I would be told that I was oversimplifying and would be called on it. I would be told that people can do whatever they want regardless of race, or gender, or other factors. The White Man can do that same thing, so don't expect me to feel sorry for the Angry White Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
{correct}

A lot of people can empathize with some of these feelings.
I can, if you take out White Man and insert any number of other sections of society.

No hard feelings guys. Just something that rankled me.

Now, get your ass over here and open my ketchup.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
freshnesschronic
Professor

Aspen sometimes referred to as the whitest city in America.
Quote:
Wiki: Demographics. The racial makeup of the city was 94.94% White, 0.44% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 1.45% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 1.64% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. 6.14% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
That's why I was like "Oh an Aspen newspaper wrote that, oh really..."

But not whiter than Livonia, Michigan..
Quote:
Livonia Demographics: As of the censusē of 2000, there were 100,545 people, 38,089 households, and 28,071 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,815.0 per square mile (1,086.8/kmē). There were 38,658 housing units at an average density of 1,082.3/sq mi (417.9/kmē). The racial makeup of the city was 95.45% White, 0.95% African American, 0.22% Native American, 1.94% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.32% from other races, and 1.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.72% of the population.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
lookout123
changed his status to single

OK, I don't know Merc's thought process but I can tell you mine when I read it. It is oversimplified and too general to be anything other than a farcical comment on life today. BUT the point of the article is that nobody is looking to impress or attract the white man's vote. Specifically the white man's vote. Why? It is acceptable to openly seek the black, hispanic, female, gay, lesbian, transgendered, _________ vote. Now stop and think about it. Anyone who went publicly looking for the "White Man's Vote" would be assumed a racist sexist pig. Why?

The article doesn't give an answer, but it just might get a someone to at least ask the question.

I'll just wait quietly holding my breath for the first person to respond with Everything is already stacked in the white man's favor.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
OK, I don't know Merc's thought process but I can tell you mine when I read it. It is oversimplified and too general to be anything other than a farcical comment on life today. BUT the point of the article is that nobody is looking to impress or attract the white man's vote. Specifically the white man's vote. Why? It is acceptable to openly seek the black, hispanic, female, gay, lesbian, transgendered, _________ vote. Now stop and think about it. Anyone who went publicly looking for the "White Man's Vote" would be assumed a racist sexist pig. Why?

The article doesn't give an answer, but it just might get a someone to at least ask the question.

I'll just wait quietly holding my breath for the first person to respond with Everything is already stacked in the white man's favor.
:p Just a little shit stirring in response to your invisible ink:

Man, the white man thinks
he's losing the country.
You watch the news: ''We're losing
everything. We're fucking losing.
Affirmative action, and illegal aliens...
and we're fucking losing the country."
Losing? Shut the fuck up.
White people ain't losing shit.
lf y'all losing, who's winning?
lt ain't us.
lt ain't us.
Have you driven around this motherfucker?
lt ain't us.
Shit, there ain't a white man in this room
that would change places with me.
None of you would change places with me.
And l'm rich!
That's how good it is to be white.
There's a white, one-legged busboy
in here right now...
that won't change places with my black ass.
He's going, ''No, man, l don't wanna switch.
l wanna ride this white thing out.
See where it takes me."

--Chris Rock

But I do see your point about openly seeking the white man's vote and being thought a racist.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
freshnesschronic
Professor

Yeah Chris Rock, I feel ya. Good post Shawnee.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
lookout123

Quote:
Man, the white man thinks
he's losing the country.
*groan* see, this isn't about losing something or someone else taking something, it's about the division. The longer we let politicians and their sort tell us why one group is different and another is more privileged, one is held down and another needs a hand up the longer things get worse. Nothing positive comes from people feeling different or separated from each other. Only one group is helped by drawing a line in the sand between black/white/brown, rich/poor, college educated/not. We call that group politicians. They get ahead by keeping us apart. They pander to that niggling little feeling that someone has it better than you. They tell the poor that the middle class is disappearing to take away their hope. They tell the middle class that the gap is getting bigger between them and the rich to remove so they'll keep working harder and spending more so they won't fall into the "poor" category. They tell the rich that the poor welfare recipients want to tax them at 50% while they stay home and smoke crack and have babies, so they'll contribute more to the campaigns.

Who is getting something out of dividing us?
What ground has ever been gained by separating people?
What motivation would a politician ever have to make you feel safe, secure, and content?

And while Chris Rock may be funny, he's just a comedian. I, and a lot of other white people would trade places with him in an instant.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
Shawnee123

Oh for pete's sake, cuz...I know he's just a comedian.

Levity toggle: off.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #23
lookout123

wait, i thought you were trying to stir the shit. i didn't want you to be disappointed.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well I for one feel deeply sorry for middle class white males. They're clearly having a very difficult time these days, what with the immense power and influence invested in ethnic minority communities and women.......
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
lookout123

I know that you intended that to be sarcastic, but thoes groups carry far more power than you apparently believe. Hell, I have to ask permission before I smack a woman's ass or grab her boob... and you don't even want to know the hoops I have to jump through before I can buy or sell my neighbor's kids now. And forget about whipping them, apparently we're all touchy feely now.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
DanaC

And the middleclass white man still carries far more power than any of them overall. Look at the percentages of women and ethnic minorities at the higher management levels in business and look at how many of your senators and congressmen are white men.

We get the same arguments over here about the apparent power of ethnic minorities and women. Yet the paygap between men and women in this country is still 17.5% across a lifetime. The economic gap between black and white even bigger and the gap between Pakistani and white even greater than that.

There is a massive economic gap between black Americans and white. There is an economic gap between American men and American women. Economic power counts for a lot in a capitalist society. When the political power is also held most firmly by the same group it's difficult to make a case for power residing anywhere but in a white man's hand.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
lookout123

Far more women and ethnic minorities are in positions of power today than they were 10,15,20 years ago. Shitty customs and policies kept them out for far too long. See unfortunately there isn't a switch to flip and magically split top management positions neatly along demographic lines. It takes years for individuals to be groomed for leadership. I'd wager that the University class of 2008 will grow into leadership positions pretty well in line with general demographics over the next 10-20 years.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #28
lookout123

Quote:
Yet the paygap between men and women in this country is still 17.5% across a lifetime.
If a man and a woman have the same job, same seniority, same qualifications, will they be paid roughly the same?

Quote:
There is a massive economic gap between black Americans and white.
Again, comparing people who've made similar choices over similar timeframes?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #29
DanaC

That still doesn't answer the paygap problem. I agree strides have been made. Strides have been made, in part because America chose to actively tackle the problem. In actively tackling the problem you have engendered a feeling amongst some that the white man is not valued and powerless. This isn't the case. White males are still statistically most likely to be in positions of power than any other demographic group. They are likely to earn far more across their lifetime than any other demographic group. Because the situation is starting to balance out does not mean that they are rendered powerless or that the other groups are becoming more powerful than them, merely that they are closing the gap ( a little).

In terms of paygap between men and women in America:

Quote:
The American Association of University Women is pleased to announce its 2007-2008 Campus Action Project, Behind the Pay Gap, based on the AAUW Educational Foundation research report that was released in spring 2007 and examined the gender pay gap for college graduates. The objective of this year’s CAP program is to provide a platform to raise awareness of the inequity in pay between women and men in the workplace.

While several measures of educational achievement show that on average women are faring as well as their male counterparts today, often times these gains do not translate into comparable economic success beyond college. In 2004, college-educated women 25 and older earned 75 percent of what their male peers earned. This pay gap appears within the first year after college – even when women are working full-time in the same fields as men – and widens in the first ten years in the workforce.
from http://www.aauw.org/education/cap/paygap.cfm
Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #30
lookout123

Lifespan cumulative pay comparisons are pointless. Show me two people who are in salaried jobs with the same time, experience, and success and they should be paid about the same. Point in time direct comparison would be the only accurate way to judge the situation. Men rarely take time off for childbirth, raising the family, etc. Not that all women choose to do that, but Lifespan pay has no way to account for that.

I will tell you one thing I've seen firsthand though. Right around the time a man turns 30, if he is in any sort of production/incentive career, his pay tends to spike up. Strangely that is about the time that he has a wife at home who will cut his marbles off if he doesn't successfully provide well for her and the kids.