The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-06-2003, 04:28 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
Heh, hey Bruce, how does it feel to know that your basic knowledge is meaningless without someone else's okay? Don't worry Juju seems to think you'll get it in time.
As much as I value and respect Juju's opinion, I'll always be a clueless hick among the so-fist-a-cats.
Maybe some nice lady would take me under her wing and tutor me in the ways of the wicked world.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:39 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks for the tour of your Coven, Spode. Nice collection of DoDa...er...graven images. Are these old pictures? I don't see your newer/est treasure.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Maybe some nice lady would take me under her wing and tutor me in the ways of the wicked world.
Is "wing" the new-fangled term for those?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:45 AM   #19
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
No...that couldn't be. A sweet lovable person like you.
hehehe, you may want to talk to Brian about that

*adjusting her halo*

But I'm like a Mama Bear...I'm sweet and loveable, till you mess with me or the ones I care about

Dagney

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:17 AM   #20
juju
no one of consequence

For the record, I was referring to lovebugz in my first post, and was only kidding in my second post. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Juju, I knew that. Just ignore the helicopters.

Wolf, You've got me all wrong. I'm just trying to be congenial and helpful to poor lost souls. Sort of a father..well grandfather figure.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 AM   #22
juju
no one of consequence

Ok, good. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:21 PM   #23
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Thanks for the tour of your Coven, Spode. Nice collection of DoDa...er...graven images. Are these old pictures? I don't see your newer/est treasure.
Most of the pics are older, yes. We have yet to find an appropriate place for the new altarpiece. As you can see, the room is quite full at present. Witches are horrendous accumulators of 'stuff'...
Old 09-06-2003, 04:06 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I imagine when 3/4 (or more) of the things you ever see can have some significance to the craft, it accumulates big time.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:55 PM   #25
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit

Onyx, if I may ask a very personal question, why did you leave your coven? I realize it's kind of rude to ask but I was curious. If you don't want to talk about it feel free to ignore me or tell me where to go. Sorry if it's to personnal.
No, I don't mind telling. I left my coven because I moved out of state. Simple as that. We had been together for over 10 years, and I doubt I'll ever be as close to a group of people. Not that I wouldn't join another if I found a similar type of coven.

See, Luv, covens are much like churches in that each one is different in make up ... different people mean different beliefs and strengths and weaknesses, different chemistry with dealing with one another, etc. I know that there are many people who "shop around" for a church until they find one that fits them the best. Perhaps a certain parish will have a predominantly younger crowd for example. Usually covens are much smaller, so the dynamic of the people involved becomes more important.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 09-06-2003 at 07:20 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 02:35 AM   #26
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Cool, thanks Onyx. I actually had wondered if you had left due to the 'shop around' thing you had mentioned. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, question for all you Wiccans.
Quote:
From the piece Dagney posted:
Need money? Don't try to ensorcel your boss to give you a raise. Simply ask the universe to increase the flow of abundance in your direction.
      Now, if I understand correctly, balance is a very important issue to you. If there is a universal balance wouldn't your 'increase in abundance' mean that someone else would recieve less? Am I right in the idea that Balance is a major point? If so do you believe in 'Universal balance'? My understanding is likely skewed here which is why I wanted to ask.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #27
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The short answer, Whit, is 'yes'. In order for us to increase our own abundance, it does have to reduce abundance elsewhere.

This all part of the ethical dilemma inherent to the "harm none" aspect of our path. It is, in fact, impossible to do something without affecting something else. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

However, it is safe to assume (or so I hope) that abundance exists in excess somewhere else, and so asking for a bit more is a reasonable thing.

Abundance is relative, and the distribution thereof is not really up to the person asking for more. If it exists somewhere and the universe wants you have more, then you'll get it. If not, it won't come to you, because the nature of the spell (asking, rather than demanding) does not wrest abundance to you from somewhere else, it simply redirects the natural flow so it eddies a bit more in your direction.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:20 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds like all your asking for is a more equitable distribution.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:35 PM   #29
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Interesting. I find I really like the soft approach in use here. I also really like the willingness to accept it if it doesn't come. Seems realistic to me.
      Question: you say "universe wants" do you mean Goddess/God or are you refering to some natural balancing that doesn't actually have a mind per se, just evening things like a scale does. In natural response to weight?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:51 PM   #30
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Sounds like all your asking for is a more equitable distribution.
Sounds like communism...bastard pagans!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote