The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
I won't. I have zero interest in playing that game.
Just curious, would you be willing to say why? Are you a teacher? A parent? Both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Yes. I know [/voice of experience]
Your school? Kids school?

I decline is a perfectly fine answer. Not trying to be nosy, but kids and schools is a big part of my life. I like to learn about other's experiences too.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Just curious, would you be willing to say why? Are you a teacher? A parent? Both?
Parent, and because I don't see the point. I agree with elspode in that most of what goes on in [most public] schools has nothing whatsoever to do with education. I see [most public] schools as being glorified daycare centers, more concerned with crowd control than anything else. As a parent, what's the point in fighting with administrators? What is the reward? If I make the calls, and go to the meetings, and they eventually move the bully's seat - what have I won?
Quote:
Your school? Kids school?
Kid's school.

Last edited by jinx; 03-22-2005 at 05:02 PM.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The first victim. The former chief of police, someone you could reasonably expect to "stay in touch" with his "kid".
That's a joke, right? Gotta be. If the "Former Chief" did stay in touch with the kid then he was probably bullied by more than schoolmates. Cops don't "stay in touch" with kids in a way that makes them feel warm and fuzzy.
Quote:
I paraphrase: Parents read journals and cops arrest kids or people die in schools. Whoa... not just disturbing, but so freakin wrong, factually wrong that I called bullshit. It seemed like a knee jerk reaction--"That shooter, damn shame his parents didn't have him arrested and save us all this tragedy." Sure. Arrest them all, and then the schools will be free of death. It will have moved to the prisons.
C'mon now, who's knee jerking here? OC described the highlights of the other story so people would know which one she was referring to. The point was guardians taking an active roll in monitoring the kids activities to try to head off violence.
Your personal attack and charges of trolling for attention are ridiculous and way out of line.
If there's one thing OC get's around here is plenty of attention.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #19
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
I call bullshit.

It is not possible that someone intelligent enough to drive a computer can be dumb enough to believe that "when kids don't get arrested for writing in their journals, then school shootings happen". There is absolutely no overlap. You are clearly talking out your ass just to troll for attention, or some other ulterior motive. What you said is so utterly beyond the pale that I have to attribute it to some bizzare sad message-board-tourette's-variant. Nasty to witness, but completely devoid of content.

I call bullshit on your call of bullshit.

If parents aren't monitoring their children's behavior, and they are exhibiting signs (depressed, antisocial behavior over and beyond what a normal teenager exhibits, writing violent and other harmful thoughts in a journal or on the internet) of impending violence, and the parents aren't doing their job parenting, then this shit happens. Period.

This child was 16 (or 17, I've seen both), a nazi, posting about doing violence to former schoolmates, and already in homeschooling. The child was kicked out of school (of course, the school can't discuss why, but the article I saw the principle didn't even know why). If the child was already kicked out of school once, that's a sign your child has problems.

Should you EXPECT your child to go kill 12 people? No. But if you're seeing red flags, and you do not parent your child, this type of thing happens.

I have a 17 year old male child, who exhibits loner, anti-social behavior and does not play well with others at school. His grades are average. I know where he is at all times. Period. He has a cell phone and keeps it with him. He's never been at trouble in school, other than his grades. His biological father is a murderer, and I am aware that this sort of behavior may be partly genetic in nature.

If I *wasn't* paying attention to his behavior, his mood, his whereabouts, where his friend lives, looking at the history on his IE, checking his pictures on the computer, monitoring his notebooks for dark or disturbing art, checking his backpack, things like that, then I would not be doing my job as a parent.

Parents who "gee, I didn't see this coming" weren't paying attention.

Quote:
What OC said in this post, however, was way past that. Go read it. I paraphrase: Parents read journals and cops arrest kids or people die in schools.
Indirectly, that's what I said, yes. But to clarify your paraphrase, Parents read journals and DO NOTHING ABOUT IT and people die in schools.

How they handle it depends on the parent, obviously, but dismissing it, attributing violent "stories" and "thoughts" clearly written down in such a way that the police feel the child is a danger to themselves or others simply to "independant thought", is potentially lethal.

Quote:
Whoa... not just disturbing, but so freakin wrong, factually wrong that I called bullshit. It seemed like a knee jerk reaction--"That shooter, damn shame his parents didn't have him arrested and save us all this tragedy."
Absolutely. The child was throwing off red flags all over the place, and nothing was done (at least as far as the media has reported). No therapy. No counseling. Loner. Anti-social. Nazi. Writing violent remarks regarding former schoolmates on a forum-type setting. Access to unlocked, unsafe, guns in the home and ammunition. Absent parents, one suicide and one mental. HELLO???? Where was the parenting??

Quote:
Sure. Arrest them all, and then the schools will be free of death. It will have moved to the prisons.
Arrest them all with just cause. Not just BEcause.

Better a prison than my kids' school.

Quote:
Mostly negative....

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 03-22-2005 at 06:28 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I wish to clarify my position

xoB:

You've been around the cellar a lot longer than I have, and I've had the pleasure of reading many posts by you. I laughed, I agreed, I laughed some more, I gave a point more thought, when I read your posts. This last post deserves the same treatment--after all, you're the same fella with the same wise friendly voice. Maybe I missed something in my response, or got my fingers tangled in the editor and posted something different from what I intended. So I did some more research, I reviewed all the posts. Here's what I found.

I could not find another reference to confirm my statement about the kid's grandfather being the chief of police. I thought for sure that's how I heard him described on the radio, and that he was the person who trained the unarmed security guard at the school, the first victim at the school. All I could find was that he was a tribal police officer, but no confirmation that he was the chief of police. I withdraw the overstatement.

It's clear he was a cop, though. My personal experience with cops in my family is that they are observant people. They do stay in touch with their children. They're aware of what's going on in their households. My personal experience represents a very small sample, to be sure. However, when you make your statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The first victim. The former chief of police, someone you could reasonably expect to "stay in touch" with his "kid".
That's a joke, right? Gotta be. If the "Former Chief" did stay in touch with the kid then he was probably bullied by more than schoolmates. Cops don't "stay in touch" with kids in a way that makes them feel warm and fuzzy.
I wonder what you base it on. At best it is an uncharitable generalization that cops make poor parents due to bad relations with their kids. You imply that the grandfather bullied the boy because he was a cop. I'm sure you don't know any more than I do about the situation in that household than I do, so we'll both have to just wonder for the time being, was the kid bullied by the grandfather or not. Perhaps further reports will reveal new facts about the situation. In the meantime, I will overlook your defamation of cops as parents.
Quote:
I paraphrase: Parents read journals and cops arrest kids or people die in schools. Whoa... not just disturbing, but so freakin wrong, factually wrong that I called bullshit. It seemed like a knee jerk reaction--"That shooter, damn shame his parents didn't have him arrested and save us all this tragedy." Sure. Arrest them all, and then the schools will be free of death. It will have moved to the prisons.
C'mon now, who's knee jerking here? OC described the highlights of the other story so people would know which one she was referring to. The point was guardians taking an active roll in monitoring the kids activities to try to head off violence.
I was not knee jerking here. I tried to accurately paraphrase OC's comment. At this point I have been challenged twice on my reaction to OC's comments. What she meant is up to her to explain. You, Beestie, and I all have only her words to go on. I have already answered Beestie's interpretation of OC's remarks. Perhaps your interpretation is right. If it is right, then I am all for it. But that's not what she said. I tried hard to focus on what she said.

Which brings me to my next point.
Quote:
Your personal attack and charges of trolling for attention are ridiculous and way out of line.
I went back and re-re-read this part of the posts too. I did try to confine my remarks to OC's statements, with phrases like: ...You are talking..." and "...what you said...". My rebuke was very harsh, I agree. I apologise for any offense, OnyxCougar. I did not wish to insult you, but to strenuously refute your statements. I stand by my statements, but I do not normally rely on ad hominem attacks to support my arguments. Those instances I reserve for the truly deserving. And you do not deserve to be attacked that way.

OC, I have no quarrel with you personally, but I disagree with what you said in the strongest possible terms.

Last edited by BigV; 03-22-2005 at 08:07 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

First Beestie, then xoB, now OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
I call bullshit on your call of bullshit.
Ok, I unilaterally stop bullshit.

Quote:
If parents aren't monitoring their children's behavior, and they are exhibiting signs (depressed, antisocial behavior over and beyond what a normal teenager exhibits, writing violent and other harmful thoughts in a journal or on the internet) of impending violence, and the parents aren't doing their job parenting, then this shit happens. Period.
I agree. And it is a JOB, no mistake. Real work, but a labor of love. The only minor quibble I have here is that sometimes this behavior is present and nobody dies. In fact, most of the time, the kids' emotional weather is incompletely known by the parents, and almost always the combination of an adolescent in the throes of teen angst and a parent only partly aware of the situation DOES NOT make the evening news. Most of these storms blow through, ruffling the curtains and ruining the crockery, but people don't die. I also agree that sometimes the situation calls for professional intervention, and 911 is their number. Been there, done that.

Quote:
This child was 16 (or 17, I've seen both), a nazi, posting about doing violence to former schoolmates, and already in homeschooling. The child was kicked out of school (of course, the school can't discuss why, but the article I saw the principle didn't even know why). If the child was already kicked out of school once, that's a sign your child has problems.

Should you EXPECT your child to go kill 12 people? No. But if you're seeing red flags, and you do not parent your child, this type of thing happens.
What I've found is that the insults, both real and imagined, I've visited on the young people in my life, are remembered ten times longer and more vividly than the loving care I give them. Their reaction is just that--theirs. And they gotta work it out. Writing is one way, drawing is another, music, IM, hangin wi' the homies, etc.

For sure, this kid was awash in a sea of red flags. Dad dead, mom in nursing home, Goth shaped target of peer ridicule, already kicked out of school at least once, to borrow a phrase, it must have sucked to be him.

Quote:
I have a 17 year old male child, who exhibits loner, anti-social behavior and does not play well with others at school. His grades are average. I know where he is at all times. Period. He has a cell phone and keeps it with him. He's never been at trouble in school, other than his grades. His biological father is a murderer, and I am aware that this sort of behavior may be partly genetic in nature.

If I *wasn't* paying attention to his behavior, his mood, his whereabouts, where his friend lives, looking at the history on his IE, checking his pictures on the computer, monitoring his notebooks for dark or disturbing art, checking his backpack, things like that, then I would not be doing my job as a parent.
Again, you're right on target here. Pay attention. Be present. Love'em, discipline (another form of love) 'em. Listen to them, on all frequencies. Be suspicious and be compassionate. Dang, I'm tired just writing about it. Or thinking about it with our two teens and one adolescent. Yah, wore out.

Quote:
Parents who "gee, I didn't see this coming" weren't paying attention.
But on this one, I don't agree. Some parents are slack, granted. But even diligent ones, among whose number I count myself, are still human, fallible. I can be fooled. I can be misled. I can be deceived and lied to, successfully. I know it happens. I don't think my parents' omniscience lasted much into my teen years. But hopefully, by that time, I have planted enough seeds of.... what? goodness, self control, self awareness, conflict resolution skills, optimism, etc that when the storms of teen life roar, we'll all be shaken but unmoved.

Quote:
Indirectly, that's what I said, yes. But to clarify your paraphrase, Parents read journals and DO NOTHING ABOUT IT and people die in schools.

How they handle it depends on the parent, obviously, but dismissing it, attributing violent "stories" and "thoughts" clearly written down in such a way that the police feel the child is a danger to themselves or others simply to "independant thought", is potentially lethal.
I did try to represent your statement fairly. And when you ammend it with the BUT DO NOTHING ABOUT IT, qualifier, you remove the grounds for my objections. We agree again.

Quote:
Absolutely. The child was throwing off red flags all over the place, and nothing was done (at least as far as the media has reported). No therapy. No counseling. Loner. Anti-social. Nazi. Writing violent remarks regarding former schoolmates on a forum-type setting. Access to unlocked, unsafe, guns in the home and ammunition. Absent parents, one suicide and one mental. HELLO???? Where was the parenting??
I don't know who knew what, certainly it's a crazy mess out there at this point. What a shame, a terrible, cryin shame.

I have read some early evidence that there were steps taken, but clearly not the right ones. Sad.

Quote:
Arrest them all with just cause. Not just BEcause..

Better a prison than my kids' school..
Hey, I will unhappily admit that WITH CAUSE, Officer Friendly should take him away. But this really is at the core of my objections. By the time the kid's arrested, you've practically conceded defeat as a parent. Certainly you've declared your surrender to any authority over the child. Maybe that's appropriate, and if so, *sigh*, sad. But ok.

On the other hand, when do you drop the dime on your kid? Not in retrospect, no fair. Each day is a damn mystery. I swear, parenting is the last great refuge of amateurs. Seriously, who knows if this time is the last time. I for one am glad for the mercy I received as a youngster, and that I wasn't treated so strictly that I got arrested for doing the bad things I did. Certainly no murderer, but, criminy, prison is not victory, it's a draw at best, and a delay of defeat most of the time.

This cannot be prevented. And the cost of the futile exercise of attempting to do so is far far greater than even the cost of what has happened today.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hmm. Just read where the grandfather was in bedwith his "companion" when they were shot. Grandfather is 58, "companion" is 32. Wonder if that's why Grandfather couldn't be bothered to find out what Jeffy was up to..?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #23
russotto
Professor

So people with kids shouldn't have sex? That's one way of reducing the population, I'll grant you.

This case seems tailor-made to stymie knee-jerk reactions. The gun control crowd has to go "doh!" when they find out the guns belonged to a cop, and the "blame the parents" crowd has a bit of a problem when they find out neither parent was in any position to do anything about it.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The hard core of the "gun control crowd" doesn't think that cops should have guns either.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #25
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

And we see how well that works in England.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

[quote=russotto]So people with kids shouldn't have sex? That's one way of reducing the population, I'll grant you.[quote]

dumbass. No. Obviously. People with kids should get their heads out of their asses and pay attention to their kids.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
And we see how well that works in England.
Particularly since they've not only disarmed the populace, as well having the courts decide that there is no right to self defense with any kind of weapon (including a sword or a cricket bat).

Australia too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:23 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
xoB:

I could not find another reference to confirm my statement about the kid's grandfather being the chief of police. I thought for sure that's how I heard him described on the radio, and that he was the person who trained the unarmed security guard at the school, the first victim at the school. All I could find was that he was a tribal police officer, but no confirmation that he was the chief of police. I withdraw the overstatement.

It's clear he was a cop, though. My personal experience with cops in my family is that they are observant people. They do stay in touch with their children. They're aware of what's going on in their households. My personal experience represents a very small sample, to be sure. However, when you make your statement:I wonder what you base it on. At best it is an uncharitable generalization that cops make poor parents due to bad relations with their kids. You imply that the grandfather bullied the boy because he was a cop. I'm sure you don't know any more than I do about the situation in that household than I do, so we'll both have to just wonder for the time being, was the kid bullied by the grandfather or not. Perhaps further reports will reveal new facts about the situation. In the meantime, I will overlook your defamation of cops as parents.
OK, my mistake. I missed that the cop you were talking about was the grandfather/guardian.
Cops as parents, although they tend to be alpha personalities that beget more alphas, I don't have a problem with.
Time and time again I've seen cops "take an interest" or "keep in touch" with kids that are not related to them and it ain't pretty.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #29
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Time and time again I've seen cops "take an interest" or "keep in touch" with kids that are not related to them and it ain't pretty.
And the other side of the coin is my buddy Allen who who has raised two adopted daughters, he adopted the daughter of his current wife as well as raising two of their mutual children.

The attachment most of his children is amazing. He works his ass of for his family and most of them know it.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's family.