The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Right now XP only gets monthly security updates. XP turns completely into a pumpkin in April 2014.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

We have netbooks to thank for XP even still existing don't we?

ETA: Pop's little Acer netbook is running WinXP Home 5.1.2600 SP3 Build 2600. I update it semi-regularly, but more than once a month.

There are more than just security updates looks like to me. But I may not be understanding the full extent of "security updates".

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 07-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
So now, you will be forced to launch things using the tablet interface... with your mouse.

You say you have a big 24" monitor? You say they're getting really cheap now? Enh. Hope you like big 3" buttons to press to get your email, just so we can have the same interface work on a 5" screen.
Follow-up from my friend, the Windows kool-aid guy. What you've said is what everybody thinks, but this is not true.

How can that be? Easily. Windows 8 runs with a "tablet" interface. OR a normal "desktop" interface. It does both. You can switch, at will. It's easy.

What is wrong with this picture?
Microsoft is doing a horrible job of message control. All they show people is the "tablet" interface, they aren't telling us you don't have to use it!

Bonus cool thing that Win8 does? You can install it on a 32gb flash drive. Stick that flash drive in any Win7 PC, and boot into Win8.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It is TOTALLY true. Stop listening to your guy. He is telling you, you don't have to DEVELOP for one interface or the other. But you have to USE both.

The Start button in the "desktop" interface has been replaced with a context switch that pops you into the "tablet" interface. You cannot avoid it. You are forced into it. You have to use the tablet interface with your mouse. All Control Panel items are in the tablet interface...

And it blows. There is mandatory horizontal scrolling... great for tablets, shitty for desktops and mice. And particularly shitty for laptops and touchpads. Fucking Christ.

Quote:
Stick that flash drive in any Win7 PC, and boot into Win8.
Ah great, it's caught up to Linux of ten years ago.

So boot it, give it a try, and come running back here screaming. I double dawg dare ya.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote