The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-11-2001, 11:37 PM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Exclamation More late-breaking news

About a week ago, it dawned on me--I had a birthday coming up. Not that I REALLY didn't know, but just didn't think much about it.

This morning, while driving the PA Turnpike, it came to me--"Hey! My birthday is tomorrow!"

And now, about 15 minutes ago, I just realized, "Shit! I'm 26 now! Whooohooo!"

I mean, 26, big deal...it's not a special b-day or anything. (No car insurance discount or anything like that.) But it makes me keenly aware that I am getting older. Obviously, it's not THAT old...I'm still a young pup. But I still feel like I did the day I graduated from high school 7 years ago...trying to figure out how we're gonna buy beer for the party afterwards.

On the other hand, in such a short time, I feel like I've seen and done so much...I guess it's THAT part of it that makes me feel "old."

(Please e-mail me for directions for dropping off gifts. Although Sycamore Day at the Cellar would be nice. )
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 04:55 PM   #17
elSicomoro

Cool Developing appreciation

I was very fortunate in that my birthday happened to fall on my regular day off (Friday). I did very little, and yet, it was the best birthday I've had in years.

My mother has a horrible habit of waking me up early on my birthday. I don't know if she did it on purpose this year (given that she knows I'm off on Fridays) or what, but she woke me up at 7:30 to wish me a happy birthday. I wound up not being able to go back to sleep, so I got up and got my Friday chores (laundry, dishes) done rather early.

Originally, I had planned to drive up to Staten Island (don't ask...I had no real plan), but then decided to head towards the Jersey shore. I knew if I took I-195 east from Trenton, I would wind up somewhere near the shore. So, I just started driving. I had never driven all of 195, so I didn't realize that it goes through a mostly rural area, with lots of trees on both sides of the highway. The colors are looking great...better than on this side of the Delaware.

Then, I got a bit lost. I wandered around several towns, trying to figure out HOW to get to the ocean. Unfortunately, I didn't have my road atlas on me, and I was completely unfamiliar with the area. After a bit of driving, I stumbled upon Belmar, New Jersey. I had never heard of the town, but apparently, it is a small resort town.

Finally, I saw the signs for the beach and stumbled upon the Atlantic Ocean. It was a clear day, with mild weather, and few people on the beach. So, I spent my time drawing in the sand, collecting seashells, and playing in the waves (which were rather high).

This little town seems like the perfect place to go if you love the beach, but want to avoid all the tourist trappings along many beaches. Very peaceful, with a few restaurants, hotels, and a 7-Eleven. I'm a sucker for the ocean, so it was hard as hell to get back in my car and drive home to Philadelphia.

As I drove home, I stopped for gas, and decided to take a detour, driving through the backroads of Mercer County. I had to change my route when State Police had one of the roads blocked off...I later found out about the guy from nearby Fort Dix that shot several people. I guess they were trying to head him off at the time.

All in all, it was a great day, and it reminded me a lot of the drives I used to take when I lived back in Missouri. And, *gulp*, it made me better appreciate the state of New Jersey. I've seen plenty of rough spots there, but I don't think it's as bad as some (including myself at times) make it.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-14-2001 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2001, 07:34 PM   #18
jaguar
whig

=)
Happy post-birthday =)

General question: Anyone else suffering news fatigue yet? I just _do not_ want to hear any more about the attacks, just hit some kind of internal limit and i just want to switch off, anyone else know waht i mean? Probably somehting to do with school stress atm (exams in 2 weeks) but?
Old 10-14-2001, 07:55 PM   #19
elSicomoro

The news here has shifted to the anthrax cases, particularly since two cases have popped up at one of our broadcast television companies. I swear, the first 5-10 stories on the evening news last night were about the anthrax cases and false alarms.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-14-2001 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2001, 10:04 PM   #20
jaguar
whig

Every fucking media source here seem to be enitrely USattacks(including anthrax) or the ellection, i wetn though 2 major papers and didn't find one non-related article!
*sighs*
Old 10-15-2001, 12:32 AM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Every ... media source here seem to be enitrely USattacks(including anthrax) or the ellection, i wetn though 2 major papers and didn't find one non-related article!
*sighs*
Big news. The xenophobic John Howard should be removed as Prime Minister of Australia - if Australians are truly to become a multi-cultural people. As if what was done to the aboriginals was not racist enough. Aussies also vote for a party that would be called 'David Duke' in America - the One Nation party.

Even a more moderate - John Howard - is so xenophobic as to violate Australia's obligations to the 1951 UN conventions on refugees. 10(?) November should tell us what kind of people the Aussies want to be.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 05:55 AM   #22
jaguar
whig

aw, thats a bit harsh, hes jsut a poor little polly who'd sell his mother into slavery without blinking to be re-elected.
Also breaches international marintime laws.
Sad thing is it does have popular support, australia ageing outback(and city(!)) population with so many districts under their control are deeply racist. Depressing.