The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 08-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #16
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
It's not all drama. From my memories as a picky eater, she may have actually been nauseous. Probably psychosomatic, but real nonetheless.
My parents tried their hardest to get me to eat any melon aside from watermelon. They figured I was just being stubborn and picky and it took them several months and a few vomiting episodes to realize that melon actually makes me ill. I don't know why, don't know if there's an actual allergy to honeydew and cantelope, but to this day, whenever I eat it, my stomach almost immediately and violently rejects it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt
I told him what he was eating was squid , he didn't beleve me . When the waitress came back I asked he what it was that michael was eating , she said calimiri , yes but what is camari ?? i asked , she said squid . I thought Michaels face was going to turn in side out But he kept on eating it .
My mom did the same thing to me with rabbit when I was a tot. She cooked one up and to me it looked like fried chicken, so I had no problem loading up my plate and promptly devouring it. I came back for seconds and while loading up my plate again, I asked why the chicken's bones looked funny. "That's because it's not chicken, it's rabbit." she said. I only paused for a second before continuing to load up the plate. It tasted good, so I figured what the heck.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #17
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
You guys are so brave actually having children. I would have zero patience with this sort of thing.
I kind of thought that before I had a kid. It changes you somehow, and you learn you can tolerate more than you ever imagined possible.
Quote:
My parents tried their hardest to get me to eat any melon aside from watermelon. They figured I was just being stubborn and picky and it took them several months and a few vomiting episodes to realize that melon actually makes me ill. I don't know why, don't know if there's an actual allergy to honeydew and cantelope, but to this day, whenever I eat it, my stomach almost immediately and violently rejects it.
I have similar problems with both cantaloupe and honeydew. Mostly what I find though is that eating it causes my mouth to break out in sores and my tongue to swell. I have the same problem with watermelon, though the effect is much milder. Bananas do the same thing, and almonds, before roasting, do it as well. I never really bothered to find out why it happens, though if I were sufficiently interested, I could probably figure it out, especially because after the almond is roasted, I have no problem.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #18
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
But for the most part we only have him for 2 day stretches. He can and has refused to eat until he goes back to his mother's house.
Hm...this made me think: could it be behavorial? He'll eat at Mom's house, but not at ("bad old") stepmommy's house? "She's not my real mommy, so I'm not gonna eat what she gives me!"

Sorry...watched an episode of Dr. Phil today.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #19
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Little Sidhe is a dream in this category. If it's even slow moving it's food. The only thing that she has rejected outright is yellow Triaminic, and that's not food. She'll even eat wassabe.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #20
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

This reminds me of a story my mom tells everyone who mentions how healthfully my kids eat. She says she was riding me through the grocery store in a cart when I was about two. I was eating cottage cheese and peaches out of a little Tupperware container and an old classmate walked up to her and began talking. When she noticed what I was eating she said to my mom "Wow! How do you get her to eat that? Kevin (her son, the same age as me) won't eat anything but cookies and buttered noodles!" My mom said "Sure he will. Give him a few days." The woman just walked away and didn't say anything.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hm...this made me think: could it be behavorial? He'll eat at Mom's house, but not at ("bad old") stepmommy's house? "She's not my real mommy, so I'm not gonna eat what she gives me!"

It's not a question of eating, but what he'll eat. The problem is she's content to let him eat crackers for every meal, and he knows it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:30 AM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What I usually do is, after cooking a perfectly good dinner, I call the kids to the table and at the first peep of complaint, I get down my .45 and start waving it around in the air like a wild woman--sometimes I have to fire a few rounds off (like if we're having meatloaf) but after that--everybody settles down for some good, old-fashioned quality dinner time!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #23
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
The problem is she's content to let him eat crackers for every meal, and he knows it.
That's the problem all right. Parents need to be consistent and present a united front. She's undermining everything you are attempting to acheive. Is she a remotely reasonable person? Have you guys attempted to discuss this with her? If the kid is getting delicious junk food at her place, he won't eat healthy stuff at yours.

Will he eat spaghetti with red sauce? You can hide a lot of stuff (blended cooked vegetables) in the red sauce.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 AM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is she a remotely reasonable person?

Of course not. [tangent]I know very few single mothers (who have never been married) who are. Most of them feel guilty for the situation their children are in, and over-compensate by spoiling them, and later as the child gets older try to be their friend and confidante instead of their parent.[/tangent] She's of the mindset that "starving" him is cruel. She reasons that she's giving him wheat crackers and other fortified-type things, so he's not eating unhealthily, per se. She doesn't understand that it's his behavior that's unhealthy and that she won't be able to just change the pattern by someday deciding "ok, now he's old enough to know better."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:39 PM   #25
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Just wait until he's old/clever enough to wait until you're out of the room or not looking and hide food he doesn't want to eat in unlikely places, not to be found for YEARS.

*shrugs off twinge of guilt*

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #26
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Man, I hope I don't regret asking, but what (or who) is susie? Sorry sucky Zippyt spelling , it should be SUSHI
This reminds me of a story my mom tells everyone who mentions how healthfully my kids eat. She says she was riding me through the grocery store in a cart when I was about two. I was eating cottage cheese and peaches out of a little Tupperware container and an old classmate walked up to her and began talking. When she noticed what I was eating she said to my mom "Wow! How do you get her to eat that? Kevin (her son, the same age as me) won't eat anything but cookies and buttered noodles!" My mom said "Sure he will. Give him a few days." The woman just walked away and didn't say anything.
HA HA HA HA HA HA Got to love the line "Sure he will. Give him a few days."
Old 08-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #27
perth
Strong Silent Type

I finally tried sushi for the first time. Buddha roll. My asshole brother didn't tell me it had shrimp in it, and I HATE shrimp. He even went so far as to hide the tail end so he could show it to me afterwards and witness the look of horror on my face.

Long story short, he's not such an asshole after all, and I could LIVE on sushi. One of the most amazing things I've ever had. I can't wait to try something else.

Edit: Something else in the "sushi" family. I thought the clarification might be necessary.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:52 PM   #28
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
and I could LIVE on sushi. One of the most amazing things I've ever had.
I sushi. Not a big fan of squid or mackerel, never tried urchin and don't plan to, but everything else is just yummy.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 PM   #29
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

We used to get this dish called seafood yaka soba , basicaly any thing that was getting a little to ripe for the sushi bar got cooked up and thrown in with noodles , the kids would FREAK every time they saw me eating a squid tentical !!!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:44 PM   #30
triestemoi
Civil Civilian

Sushi is great....but most shellfish is too chewy raw. Yellowtail is my favorite.

Regarding feeding picky kids...one thing that worked for a friend of mine was to keep serving them whatever they wouldn't eat at the next meal. If they wouldn't eat meatloaf for dinner, the plate would be saved until breakfast, heated up and served again. Once the kids figured out they weren't going to get something they liked at the next meal, they got hungry and ate.

I never had to resort to that but did have one really picky kid. She's 16 now and eats pretty darn well. I can only attribute that to continuing to serve a large variety and allowing her to try things when she wanted to.
triestemoi is offline   Reply With Quote