The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #16
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

TM - regarding chainsaws, how often do you have to sharpen them? I bought one several years ago and I think I probably need to sharpen it, but this is my first chainsaw experience. I've cut down, and cut up, about 8 or 10 Ponderosa Pines, each about 40 feet tall and 18 to 24 inches in diameter.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
TM - regarding chainsaws, how often do you have to sharpen them? I bought one several years ago and I think I probably need to sharpen it, but this is my first chainsaw experience. I've cut down, and cut up, about 8 or 10 Ponderosa Pines, each about 40 feet tall and 18 to 24 inches in diameter.
I use to sharpen it a few times a year, but I find that running the sharpening tool over it a few times before or after every use has helped a lot. The other thing I have found is that I am more apt to just buy a new saw blade a few times a year, they are about $25 or $35. I can never quite get it as sharpe as when they are new. Not like a knife that is easily sharpened.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
When you're throwing sawdust instead of shavings, the chain is dull.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyboy2003 View Post
Just look online for consumer reports b4 u ever buy anything because you can find all the info u need about repairs and ect online.
Right, if you just happened to be a subscriber.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #20
Cloud

I, too, swear by CR. I would never buy anything major, like a car, without checking them out first. And I do subscribe to the magazine, although you can buy it in stores.

they have an online subscription, too, which I'm considering. Only thing is, they automatically re-subscribe you annually using your credit card number, and I don't like that idea.

CR had a small reputation-bobble last year regarding car seats (right when I was looking to buy one), but otherwise they are pretty reliable.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #21
busterb
NSABFD

I bought a Husky, no I can't spell it. About ten years ago. I think about $350. I only use it for fire wood. I've spent about $45 bucks on it. Because I left gas over the winter.
Sharpening a chainsaw. I've bought every gadget know to man, and still can't get it right. I try to keep it out of dirt and hit it a lick with a file. Then buy a new chain. Once I went about 20 miles away to cut fire wood and the damn chain came apart. So trip back to town to have fixed. Now I keep a spare chain in tool box.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Husquavarna?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
certain items are worth it to spend the extra money...
shoes
Oh, I completely agree. And wallets/purses. I have Coach bags that are 10+ years old that still look brand new.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #24
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I can really taste the difference in things like sandwich meat, cereal... oh, and toilet paper!

that's kind of nasty.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #25
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Adventures.

Money can accomplish almost anything. Whenever I'm off to do something that might leave me up shit creek I make sure I have plenty of money to buy a paddle.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #26
lizzymahoney
Major Inhabitant

Some, but not all, of my spices and condiments are more expensive. Think paprika is just boring red stuff to decorate diner baked potatoes? Try some Hungarian paprika, hot or sweet.

Since spices go stale so quickly, I don't mind paying more for an ounce of something rather than the more economical two ounce store brand.

Every time I find an even better balsamic vinegar, it's more expensive than the last one. Same with mustards, although I appreciate more variety there.

I'll make my own spice blends as I need them, or just a couple of months supply at a time. Depends on what it is.
lizzymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #27
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Husquavarna?
Yep. Thanks. It's not an every day word for rednecks.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #28
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Oh, I completely agree. And wallets/purses. I have Coach bags that are 10+ years old that still look brand new.
Heh. Don't agree about purses. I just can't fathom spending all that money on a purse. I'm much more interested in the configuration (has to have outside pockets, etc.); and I don't WANT my purse to be around 10 years. I get sick of them. I just use mine until I get sick of it or it falls apart, then get a new, cheap again, purse.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #29
Flint
Snowflake

I came to rely on Milwaukee tools when I was working in the construction field; most notably the Sawzall and the Hole-Hawg.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #30
busterb
NSABFD

I have a few Milwaukee tools. A port-a- band saw, couple of drills and I drink old Milwaukee light, ice cold