The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-16-2001, 11:36 AM   #16
dave

Hubris, how old are you?

Do you realize that Condoleeza Rice is almost FIFTY?

Though she is pretty striking for that age. Not to say that 50 year olds are ugly. But she is exceptionally good looking for 47 or whatever it is.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:42 AM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Condie Rice ain't bad. Although I have to admit, given that her and I are probably at opposite ends of the ideological spectrum, that takes something away from her on my end.

This is all dham's fault...him and his damned obsession with Cate Blanchett.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 11:48 AM   #18
dave

aaaah, Cate Blanchett.

Man... she is a cutie

I would start a new thread... but since all of it has already been contained here...

Maybe we should just start another "Explain Yourself!" thread and leave this one for the "Perfect Female" debate
Old 11-16-2001, 11:56 AM   #19
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Hubris, how old are you?
Well... I'm not 40 yet, but I can see it from here.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 12:13 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Saw Theron tonguing her brother on national TV, even out here this gets her dropped from my list. I honestly can't remember who Cate Blanchett is... maybe I'm gonna beat Hubris to forty. My feminine ideal tends to run toward the lady atheletes Paola Pezzo (sp?) mountain bike champ or that Norwegian speed skater. Of course my old lady is the full package (brains soul looks lungs) and she is extremely patient with Mr. Procrastinator (hmmm... I sposed to be doin something right now..what was it?)
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 01:47 PM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Feh feh feh.

Tomorrow is my birfday, and I'll be 38. And all these purty little blonde actresses seem like nothing but silly exuberance. When they reach a certain age, they disappear and are replaced by whatever clone of them is considered fasionably good looking at the time. It is extremely rare for any of them to have a career longer than 10 years.

Where is Dana Delany? Helen Slater? Jennifer Beals? Phoebe Cates? All would have been "A" listed 10-15 years ago...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 02:16 PM   #22
warch
lurkin old school

Happy Day Toad. and we women of the world thankyou for your insight. I will toast.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 02:35 PM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

Happy bday young man! (I've got you beat by a good 4 months)
Old 11-16-2001, 02:54 PM   #24
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Indeed, Happy Bidet, Mr. Toad.

I can see forty from here, but I'm looking in a somewhat different direction.

And not all Cellar names are as simple as Lisa's may appear. For example, I was not named Margaret at birth, and indeed was known Cellerwise as JaniceL for quite some time back in the dial-the-Cellar-direct-and-edit-your post-with joe days.

But then I wasn't born "Janice" either. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 07:29 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

holy crap!

I am gettin old (mentally), I won't be 38 until next year... grumble... grumble... maybe geritol would help...
Old 11-17-2001, 07:37 AM   #26
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Smile misc

First, Happy Birthday Tony. I'm not too far behind you. (Dec 19)

Second, perfect woman... mine is Cassandra Peterson, better known to you lesser folks as Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. But then, I'm weird.

Lastly, I have to agree with UT, most actresses don't last and tend to be faddish. Few make it more than a decade.

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 07:20 PM   #27
jaguar
whig

...............some very odd tastes here *laughz
but heck i am 1/2 - 1/3 of the age of most people here i think....

Echo Griff's sentiment, nail on the head UT =)

Hm - few people have cynicism wise i was 16 going on 60.....never knew hwo to take that one.

Last edited by jaguar; 11-17-2001 at 07:39 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 08:19 PM   #28
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Re: Explain Yourself!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
On this, the occasion of my 100th POST, I thought I'd start a thread about something that I've been wondering about for a while now:

I'd love to know the stories behind the names that Cellar Dwellars use here.

Some Dwellars have already 'fessed up in other threads. We've seen explainations for the origins of Undertoad, dhamsaic, and even yours truly. And some names we can make confident guesses about. I'd bet a fair sum that there's a real Lisa behind Lisa... Galadriel probably went through that awkward JRR Tolkien phase in 8th grade... ndetroit is probably... mmmmm... in Detroit? Or, maybe not.

Some are just plain mysterious. What are we to make of Warch, for instance? Or Slight? Chewbaccus? Scopulus Argentarius? The ubiquitous Sycamore? And a bunch more too numerous to list here.

In a way it would be nicer to preserve the mystery... but I wouldn't be here in the first place if my curiosity didn't usually get the better of me. So, if you feel like sharing your etymology, please don't hold back.
Simple... Scopulus Argentarius is a psuedonym I've use since high school. It is simply two latin words that have a meaning associated with my real name. Hope that clears it up....

sa
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:18 AM   #29
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

My own curious handles explained:

A long time ago (circa 1991-2), at a university far, far away, I was introduced to an addictive little Internet game called netrek. Now, just to set this straight from the beginning, you need not have any knowledge of or affinity for the Star Trek universe to understand and play netrek. Which is good, as I have little love for the Star Trek Sequel Factory. Or the Star Wars Sequel Factory, for that matter. But I digress.

Actually, netrek is still around, and with the advent of DSL even Win98 dweebs like myself can play at full speed. www.netrek.org tells the tale. But, again, I digress.

Netrek allows you to select a name of up to 15 characters. This allows a fair amount of creativity, and eventually I became the Sybil of the netrek world, rarely using the same name twice. But I was just starting out at this point, so I wanted to think of a name that I'd stick with for a while.

As it happens, I had Jello Biafra's first spoken word album in heavy rotation in my collection at that point. One of the tracks is titled "Names For Bands," featuring Jello bemoaning the lack of thought that goes into many band names and suggesting a few twisted concepts of his own. Eventually, he starts running them off in rapid-fire fashion, with gems like Cancer Cures Everything, Dracula Was Gay, and the Ku Klux Flintstones.

One of them fit in the fifteen-character limit, and sounded bizarre enough to pique my interest: "Video Sex Pope." And, so, a nom de plume was born.

I've used variations of the name (usually vsp, sometimes simply pope or vspope) in my mail account names for years now. Old habits are hard to break.

Those of you who remember me from my dialup days may remember "Innocent Bystander" as my secondary name; that was (a) the name of my feature column for the NCSU newspaper for a year or two, and (b) the name of John Palumbo's first solo album, which was also in heavy rotation in my head at the time.

jeff. who's glad he wasn't as into Zappa then as he is now, or who knows what monstrocity of a name I'd be using
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 09:48 PM   #30
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
ugh.
Note that Cate Blanchett is stunning *and* cute in every photograph taken of her. So she's got that one licked.
Oh, please. Her headshot is worse than Theron's....

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Blanchett,+Cate
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote