The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Best of luck to you on your move, FallenFairy! I grew up in Albuquerque from the 60's to the 80's; I have lots of family there, so I still visit now and then. One of my favorite things to do around there is to take solo drives between ABQ and my family's farm about 30 mi. north on the alternate road--so beautiful and peaceful, especially after a rainstorm. Not at all like driving in Philly or DC, I tell ya.

Since you'll be working at Intel, you will be on the Westside on North Coors, I think? That area's gone through a lot of development since I've lived there, but there's still quite a bit of open space. Corrales is not too far north from there--if you like horses, that's where they are.

Don't forget to have your sunscreen and shades on when you get off the plane--June is HOT and the sun is way more brutal out there than it is here on the east coast!
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:06 AM   #17
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

I know exactly what drive bluecuracao is talking about, ah, what memories. Driving that narrow, winding road from around Belen up toward Corrales at dusk with all the windows open, smell of hay and sunflowers everywhere along the roadside, beautiful quiet. It would be wonderful to know that still survives 30 years later.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:10 AM   #18
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88
FF - there are definitely sights to see. after 36 years i've seen a lot of them and it's kinda same ol' same ol'.
Ferret, it's a hell of a lot better being bored in Albuquerque than to be bored in Fresno. You're the lucky one.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #19
FallenFairy
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao
Since you'll be working at Intel, you will be on the Westside on North Coors, I think? That area's gone through a lot of development since I've lived there, but there's still quite a bit of open space. Corrales is not too far north from there--if you like horses, that's where they are.

Don't forget to have your sunscreen and shades on when you get off the plane--June is HOT and the sun is way more brutal out there than it is here on the east coast!
Thanks Bluecuracao!
and yep - North Coors... One thing I noted about the area was that although it seems like a sprawling metro area with alot of growth recently - it looks like once out of the city there is alot of wide open spaces...that's for me!!
I am already planning a trip to the Bosque del Apache wildlife refuge, too cool!

And oooohhhhhh the food! Next year I will be there for the Fiery Foods show!!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #20
FallenFairy
nope

Ferret - I am bored in DC....in work and out
Old 02-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

FF - Have you looked into housing yet? Just curious. There are pros and cons to living on either side of the river.
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #22
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Oh God, don't suggest that she live on the West Side, that is too dreary and the wind is awful. It would be great if she can find something near Old Town but that might be too expensive. Fortunately, the choices are endless and if she gets a living expense stipend she can stay in a hotel until she has a chance to check it all out.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #23
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I wonder if Corrales is too expensive now? If I were ever to move back (not likely), I would want to live there, if I could afford it.

There are some spots around Old Town that are very expensive, but I think for the most part it's a pretty reasonable area.

Oh, and besides the harsh sun thing, don't forget to drink plenty of filtered water. New Mexico is going through a drought phase, and the air is very, very dry, in stark contrast to the swamp that is DC. One recent visit, I was too busy running around and didn't drink any water all day, and I nearly passed out from dehydration.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #24
FallenFairy
nope

Actually I am looking into buying a house - In the Heights?? N.E. Heights? (It's hard to know until I get there or where exactly everything is - I am flying there in May to check everything out) I was warned away from the Western side... told to look "uphill" lol - but all my options are open....and yes Old Town looks to be one option- They will house me until I find something - but I want to find something asap... I hate feeling unsettled.

Note to self: Lots of water - check.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #25
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFairy
Note to self: Lots of water - check.
Two words:

Puget Sound.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
ferret88

Tonchi - I suggest to NO ONE they live on the left side, but it could be convenient for someone who works over there.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #27
ferret88

FF - I live in "The Heights" and much prefer it to most anything west of I25. For the most part, from there you'd be heading against the traffic going to Rio Rancho, so that's not a bad move. Until the geniuses in the trransportaion/traffic department decide to (de-?)reconstruct one of the river crossings. Much of the housing on the left side is newer but many people I know who live over there have had problems with their new houses. And there seems to be a sinkhole in one of the major intersections every other month.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #28
ferret88

bluecuracao - I'm not sure, but the impression I get is that Corrales has gotten kinda "high-end" over the years. Kinda a snobby place to live. That and anything near Paseo east of I25.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #29
ferret88

Blue - I think the word I wanted was, perhaps, "elitist."
Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #30
FallenFairy
nope

Big V - yes I know I really do miss the Puget Sound... but alas... for now Albuquerque is my soon to be home...

Ferret - the house I am looking at is off Avenida De La Luna NE... know the area??