The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

With so many educated by brainwashing (ie Fox News), science (quantum physics, battery, stem cell, automotive, etc) has been leaving America.

The Silicon Valley, desperate for educated employees, already used up all this entire year's H1B visas in March. Because extremists in Congress (who said we want America to fail) even fear immigrants. Immigrants were always a greatest source of America's patents and innovative companies. Same people, who wasted $billions on ISS, just as foolishly wanted to put a man on the moon and Mars. How many times much these guys be dumb before we finally address the problem?

America had $8 billion to spend. Either on a Super Collider in Texas that had an obvious purpose. Or on the ISS so that men can do expensively and unproductively what robots and machines do better.

Congress quashed the Super Collider to drive science out of America. Meanwhile the ISS did no science while costs have ballooned to ...

From The Economist of 6 Apr 2013:
Quote:
Samuel Ting ... presented the findings at CERN (Europe's and the world's principle particle physics lavoratory), ...

for AMS sits on board the International Space Station, and is arguably the only piece of scientifically useful kit ever to grace that $100 billion contraption.
Ironic. Only science attached to a $100 billion claptrap gets announced elsewhere - CERN. Was it an accident? After all, extremists even tried to kill AMS and discovery of a Higgs bosom. Both discoveries announced in CERN.

Why was AMS in storage for so long? George Jr was a business school graduate. And a frontman for extremists who hate STEM and innovation. Who even deny reasons for global warming. Who knew everything done by Clinton was evil. Who blamed Saddam for 11 September. Who invented the axis of evil myth that forced both Iran and N Korea to go nuclear. Who attempted to undermine, end, or setback science - Auroral Activity. Who believe money games to enrich the rich are the only useful innovations.

Makes no difference whether innovation comes from the private section or public sector - as should now be obvious to everyone in the UK. Extremists will argue that nonsense while ignoring and stifling the only thing that advances mankind: STEM and its resulting innovations.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the Super Collider had been built here, so what? Does it matter where anything is discovered, everybody gets to use the discoveries.

Whereas from the ISS we can dump garbage bags on Kim Young Asshole.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Had a disagreement with someone I know. This person is well educated, conservative, Catholic.

This person said that Evolution is only a theory and is not proven. Creationism is also a theory and not proven. Ergo, they are equivalent.

I tried to explain difference between theory, hypothesis, and faith.

Oh, and it was argued that all societies that tolerated gays collapsed.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When all else fails, blame the gays.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Unrelated to teh gay matters....

What this thread reminds me of, every time...

"Oh boy"

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

. could be related to gay matters *snicker* I know I'd turn gay for a piece of that,

oh wait... don't have to
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Old big nose is back [Blackadder]

Last edited by Sundae; 04-13-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

lol me too!!!

I was a little bit disappoint the first time I read it.

I so wish they'd let Enterprise have another series. He was excellent as the captain.

@ Sundae: totally agree with that, hon. Tell ye what, way back before the privatisation missions began, there were problems with the NHS (generally a lack of funds and a lot of mismanagement), but one thing that wasn't lacking was personal kindness and the time to care for vulnerable patients.

The more they talk about putting the people who use them at the centre of public services, the more they are actually shoved out to the periphary. The Big Society is just an excuse to strip away expectations and resign people to a lack of any coherent approach to ensuring those who need assistance get it and to the needed degree.

Thatcher birthed this monstrous selfishness and after all those years of divide and rule, what the fuck is left of the class unity that opposed her?

Sorry. Wrong place for a rant.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm sure I've written this before, and yes, it might be the wrong plsce, but surely we'll br forgiven

I was friends with student nurses for a few years.
I respected them. The choice they'd made, the years they were spending on tiny wages while they trained, the studying they put in. I was cross whenever I heard nurses criticised.

'Til Great Aunt Alice (Auntie Alice) went into hospital. 'Til Grandad went into hospital. 'Til Abs went into hospital (less so in her case because she had a voice, but she was an intimidated teen.)

Shocking lack of care.
Really, not just using a word for the sake of it - we were shocked by the lack of day-to-day care. And Mum used to be a Nursing Auxillary on a geriatric ward.

Grandad's actual health was not ignored. But eating, drinking, being aware of his mental state, his hearing and eyesight was. Brief example, they had no idea he couldn't tell the time. His watch was taken away (locked up) for health reasons and he could not see across the ward to the clock. He would doze off and wake up completely baffled. If we were there he was doubly confused, thinking we were coming to bring him breakfast (at 17.00)

Alice showed signs of dehydration when we visited. No water within reach. Food tray - untouched - on the over-the-bed table when she was obviously too far gone to feed herself. We got there about 14.30.

If this is beneath nurses then they need to employ more people in minor roles.
Or put them all in the bloody Ritz.

Sorry.
I'm done.

Last edited by Sundae; 04-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

[old lady] bring back proper wards with ward sisters and everyone, right down to the cleaners and the catering, directly employed by and answerable to the hospital [/old lady]

[eta] Mum was an auxillary for two years, iirc, before enrolling in nursing college.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote