The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #16
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

I've come to the conclusion, after lots of research, that a low fat, low calorie diet (and exercise, of course) will kick any low carb diet's ass any day. And you'll be healthier in the long run. But hey, I'm not a doctor. I just play one on TV.

If you really want to loose weight, get Crohn's disease like me! I dropped 26 lbs in less than a month! Though, I wasn't eating much more than Jell-O and plain rice... and when I ate that it just fell right back out of me. So... yeah.

By the way, do you guys know where Jell-O, or more specifically gelatin, comes from? But I still eat it.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #17
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Quote:
do you guys know where Jell-O, or more specifically gelatin, comes from?
Food gets a hell of a lot worse than that, pal.

Find out how mushrooms are made.

But I still eat em. Why? Because they taste friggin good!
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #18
staceyv
Lecturer

chainsaw is right about the low calorie low fat thing...I am a huge fan of the "caveman diet". Basically, you eat stuff that our bodies actually evolved to eat. Just cut out the processed food, simple sugar and white flours, grains. Sugarbusters is also great.
I've done tons of research on nutrition and diet. I used to work with a girl who always felt like crap. I told her to just eat meat and vegetables, (sweet potatoes and squash okay, just no grain) for one week. She was RAVING about how great she felt, how much energy she had...Ufortunately most people can't make themselves stick to any diet...
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #19
Carbonated_Brains

No offense to anybody, but I've constantly found that when people say "I've done a ton of research" they actual mean

"I've found a ton of websites that support what I already thought"
Old 01-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #20
Kitsune
still eats dirt

What? There are people still in this world that still subscribe to this fad? I was sure everyone had moved on to the next faulty slim-down craze of Palm-Beach-Juice or whatever it is. Anyways, I've got a way to lose weight that doesn't involve eating chemically generated snacks that taste like soot and poo.

Step 1: Eat less.
Step 2: Exercise.

Contrary to what you were told as a child through the wonders of television marketing, it is not essential to eat a bowl of sugary cereal, two glasses of juice, a glass of milk, four slices of toast, a grapefruit half, a plate of sausage, and a banana "as part of this nutricious breakfast". We live in a world were most of us go to "work" and sit for eight hours, not raise barns and drive cattle to the pasture before eleven in the morning. Its not a bad thing to put as much energy into your mouth as you plan to expend during the day.

And yeah, if it sounds like I harbor a bit of animosity towards Atkins, its because I know a woman that insisted on dieting in this method before and during part of her pregnancy. The result is a child that is going to have a very difficult time growing up. The human body was not intended to survive on what is prescribed by that diet, child-in-progress or not.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:24 PM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

...So what's wrong with the kid? Inquiring minds want to know.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #22
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Marine Corps diet ,
1) push away ( from the table ) , only eat what you need , not what you want . " Show some disapline you HOG !!!!! "
2 ) push ups ( your fat ass that is !! ) " A Marine Corp Push up is a 4 count exersize !! Starting positions ,,,,,, MOVE !!!!!! "
Old 01-26-2005, 11:50 PM   #23
Carbonated_Brains

I'm afraid, as with the coffee/Starbucks thread, this situation calls for some Foamy.

Beware, he can be harsh.

Fatkins!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #24
staceyv
Lecturer

That made my day.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #25
Kitsune
still eats dirt

...So what's wrong with the kid? Inquiring minds want to know.

The kid is old enough to be doing the walkin' and talkin' bit, but he hasn't shown much interest in either. Still fairly young, he's already going into some form of rehab.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #26
staceyv
Lecturer

Quote:
No offense to anybody, but I've constantly found that when people say "I've done a ton of research" they actual mean

Actually, that is not the case here. I've been studying nutrition and all these stupid fad diets, excercise physiology, etc. for 7 years, and 99% of my research was done without a computer, because I didn't have one. I read real books, as well as taking college courses. And I don't just read books that have opinions I agree with, I've read them all so that I could come to my own informed decisions.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonated_Brains

"I've found a ton of websites that support what I already thought"
I agree, and I don't take offense to your statement, but since I've been sick, I've been forced to "research" (talk to doctors, read books, etc) for my own well being. I have a mild case of Crohn's disease and it REALLY limits what I can eat when I have a flare. Jell-O and rice will only get you so far. I realized very quickly that doctors need to be used as a tool. They're only human. They don't know everything and they can only do so much. I had to take responsibility for my own health. Maybe I should move this over into the “health” section.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #28
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyv
Actually, that is not the case here. I've been studying nutrition and all these stupid fad diets, excercise physiology, etc. for 7 years, and 99% of my research was done without a computer, because I didn't have one. I read real books, as well as taking college courses. And I don't just read books that have opinions I agree with, I've read them all so that I could come to my own informed decisions.
Stacey, this is the wrong thread for my comment, but I can't help myself: Why not study nutrition and become a nutritionist for a hospital? That pays pretty durn good.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #29
russotto
Professor

Diets suck

Low fat, low calorie diet = hungry all the time. And in my case, with a constant headache as well. I don't like being heavy but constant hunger and a headache ain't worth a few pounds. If it weren't for this "winter" thing and my hatred for the gym I could exercise enough to do something about it.

Anyway, I would think an Atkins snack would be a filet mignon :-)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #30
Kitsune
still eats dirt