The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Tonight, preparing for tomorrow. Tomorrow, my eldest is getting married, a small family-only ceremony. My responsibilities include playing music (my harpist partner Lane and myself), picking up the cake, making punch, providing the video recording arrangements, picking up Stephen's suit from the dry cleaners, making sure the photographer can find the place, providing the film for the photog (a family friend), and listening to Selene freak out about how she has to marry them and they haven't even looked at the ceremony yet. Oh, and trying to resist the urge to gouge my ex's eyes out when she inevitably stands around and rolls them all afternoon. She's not keen on anything about this little joyous event.

Sunday, the annual Heartland Pagan Festival "OH, SHIT!" meeting (13 days until Festival), give Selene a card and gift card for Mother's Day, then right into coven.

Busy weekend.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If my erection lasts more than four hours I'll call somebody.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Really great to hear about everyone's plans. How's it goin' with youse?
Unfortunately after an early start (left the house at 7.30 to catch the first boat) our plans were rained off. The "showers" that the weather forecast hinted at turned out to be a constant downpour. We kept hoping it'd get better, it kept getting worse. So we stayed in Ayr town centre, and I blew £23 on eight summer tops in the charity shops (ever hopeful!).
Now we're home the weather is lovely! Just right for a day at the County Show... maybe next year (though all the shop workers told us merrily that it always chucks it down for the Show!).
Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, I got the grocery trip done, and I've since realized that I will need to spend the kids' naptime making more waffles. Which means I'll be hanging out here during each "sit and let it cook" phase.

But productive things being done without me include used car test drives, some of which are looking very promising according to my IM conversations. I expect that Mr. Clod will be returning home with a different vehicle this afternoon.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Today turned out better than I expected.

I walked to the most local chemist, dsicovered it was shut Saturdays - it's only an ickle one. So I went on to the Post Office, then the next nearest chemist. A round trip of approx a mile, which was good.

Oh! I won the Euromillions Lottery! £110million... was the main prize. The winning ticket was bought in Spain apparently.
I won £6.10 but that was still wonderful for me.
I celebrated by buying a 99p wash-in wash-out hair colour (Flame) which I suspect won't wash out given the porous nature of my bleached hair. And whaddya know, it's gone a lovely tangerine shade at a fraction of the cost of getting a tub of proper orange dye. Photo in the RFN thread.

I have a lottery ticket for tonight, again bought out of my winnings.

Sat in the garden in intermittant sun - got some more freckles.
Did a full clean of Diz's litter tray and hoovered the bedroom and the landing.
Helped make a fruit flan for Mum, who has gone to an at-home hen night. Also arranged a plate of meats she was taking. And removed her current nail varnish and applied two coats of a new one - tried to talk her into Barbie Slut Pink, but she went with delicate pearly pastel.

Made Mexican Eggs for my tea, and got a double-yolker

A very good day all in all.
Hoping for a repeat performance with variations tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Must stop buying flowers and flower-related accessories.

MUST STOP THE MADNESS!

(is really quite amazing how much money one can spend on making a garden look cheap, ie, "hippie non-traditional/funky")
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
glatt

Last night: Date night. My wife and I ate awesome home made pizza and drank beer in the living room. (put the kids to bed a little early.)

Today: Slept late (8:15!) and then went to son's soccer game. Friends' garage sale nearby, so visited with them for a while. Came home, mowed lawn. Lunch. Went to playgrround with kids. They went home, and I swung by the grocery store. Trying to give them opportunities to be on their own. It was a two block walk home for them alone. They did fine, of course.

Later: Happy hour and dinner. DVD

Tomorrow: Breakfast in bed for my wife. Hiking in Prince William forest. Pizza for dinner.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Ripley woke me up at 6:20 am today because she was excited about our Main St Yard Sale. the rednecks were out and setting up tables across the street at that point, so she thought it was time..... meh, i had a bowl of cheerios, and carried the heavy stuff out before I left for work...

I hope jinx sold all of our crap!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, against all odds, my son Stephen is now married. Oh sure, the event started 90 minutes late...they didn't arrive until after the original starting time, so everyone else was already there. Then there was the fact that my ex, Steve's mom, hadn't actually been informed of the exact time and location until noon today, but she made it nevertheless, resplendent in about twelve yards of pink organza. The bride had little to no idea about what she wanted where (hopefully, she won't have that problem in the honeymoon bed tonight), so I scurried about setting up food and decor etc for an hour while she meticulously primped and prepared herself.

Fortunately, I had my other two sons, a couple of family friends and their S.O.'s, and there was plenty of help. Although the runup and setup was excruciating, the execution of the ceremony was nearly perfect, save for my poor brain-injured son limping his way through repeating the vows Selene patiently recited two to three words at a time. Lane, my lifelong musical partner, was atypically patient and understanding, and spent about three hours there for what worked out to be about five minutes of actual music that we played.

The photographer had motor drive failure and lost the entire first roll of film due to it being unrewindable in the camera. The bride's express wishes for primarily film based photos ended up being heavily supplemented by digital shots. Oh well.

I learned earlier today that videotape is getting to be pretty hard to find. I had to hit three different stores before I could find a HI8 tape for my antique analogue camcorder, and when I found it, it cost me $11. Geez.

In the end, though, we successfully married them off. I did, of course, shed a small tear or two during the vows. After all, there was a time when I didn't know if my boy was going to live or die. There was a time when I could see him in the future as nothing but a lonely old homeless man, his family dead and gone, and incapable of understanding the hard, cold world on his own. Trailer park, short tempered and not too bright that his wife is, she *does* love him, and in fact, there may well not have been anyone else for the two of them on this entire planet besides each other.

Perhaps it is is a miracle that they found each other. I do know that my wife, my girlfriend, our children, family and friends are bonafide miracles, blessings such as I in no way deserve, but with whom I have been so very fortunate to have been blessed, pain in the ass though they often are. I do know that my son's very survival is proof positive of the existence of miracles, of the power of prayer, positive energies and plain dumb luck...both good and bad.

On my path, all things are equal parts dark and light. One cannot exist without the other, and all things contain elements of both. Everything about today was evidence of that concept, and it comforts me that all was right with the Universe today.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Pie
Gone and done

Congratulations, Spode! A proud day for you and the boy you have brought into the world, at great pain and great joy.

Salaam! Blessings to you all!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent, Elspode, glad it went well... you were due.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

what a wonderful tribute to life, Els! Bravo!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #28
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Els that was lovely. I am sat here with a lump in my throat and tears pricking the backs of my eyes. Congratulations to the newly weds, and congrats to you too Els: You did him proud, mate.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #29
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Thanks for that account of a great ceremony, Els! What a lovely occasion - much to celebrate! Congratulations all round!
Hugs to you all!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #30
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

So, Limey, did you enter any of the contests?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote