The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
glatt

Yeah, it sucks being too big. I had to fold up my legs into a weird pretzel shape so that the bar could come down onto my lap on one of the coasters. It was just banging into my knees at first. It was the kids' favorite coaster too, so we rode it like 6 times. I was getting to be an expert at jumping in and contorting myself quickly so the bar could come down.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
My sister took her kids to Chernobyls yesterday er Koernobles? yesterday so we'll see if that was any better. I'm just not amusement park people so I can't rate any.
Knoebels. The fifth grade at our elementary school takes a trip there at the end of the year. Everybody raves about it, including Mrs. Dallas, who went with Miss Dallas when it was her turn.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
jinx
Come on, cat.

There was just nothing for a 53in 9 year old to ride at 6 Flags... even if we wanted to wait 1-2 hours for each ride. We've been taking the same group of kids to Hershey and Dorney Parks for years and always had tons of fun. Yesterday sucked though. Lots of sweating, waiting, and being very disappointed.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Sorry 6 flags sucks ass, LJ. We have Elitches here, that use to be 6 flags, but now is just Elitches. I can say that when it was 6 flags it was much more expensive.

It is funny to read this thread because when my family lived in Ohio, we went to Hershey Park and Kings Island and there was another down in Kansas City we use to go to...Worlds of Fun? Is Cedar Point still around? I remember the commercials for it back in the 80s..."Cedar Point is the cure for the summertime blues..."
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
Cloud

Roller coasters are scary and sucky. Crowds are abominable. Amusement parks are expensive.

Seriously, what did you expect? If you go in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer, you have to expect all that and take it in stride. *

I'm sorry you had a lousy time, though.

*Although the equipment failures seem a bit much. Also, you knew they were having technical difficulties and still got on the ride? Nuh uh; not me!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
Pie
Gone and done

I grew up going to Great Adventure. I remember when it was fun, in the eighties and early nineties. I had some excellent times there.

Sorry it's sucking so bad now, Jim. Sounds like the maintenance etc. has really gone to hell.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

SO sorry you had such a crappy day.
I had (similar) disappointments in England, but at least there were no kids upset - that must make it harder.

In my case I'd been to both places before and it was just bad luck - in one we arrived late due to a lost coach on a very busy day (got on ?5? rides as I remember) and happened to be there in gale force winds in the other place - EVERYTHING affected.

And even more sorry to hear it because it's somewhere I really, really want to go!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sounds horrible. Which Six Flags did you go to (not that it really matters...I'm sure they *all* suck more or less equally).

*Everything* in the world is suffering from the same malaise...pay more to get less, or in some cases, nothing. Once your money changes hands from You to Them, you're fucked.

It now costs $25 to park your car at Arrowhead Stadium. And there are no more $10 for a round trip bus routes, either. The city dumped those. A bottle of water at Kauffman Stadium costs *$4.25*! A bottle of fucking water! Our local theme park, Worlds of Fun used to have beautiful, lush, immaculate floral landscaping, and trams to bring you from the parking lots to the gate. No more.

The list is endless, but eventually, pressure to maximize profits always results in the same thing...get less, pay more. Logically, in another twenty years, doing anything will cost you every dime you have, and nothing will happen once you've handed it over.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
sugarpop
Professor

I LOVE roller coasters, but I HATE amusement parks. Too many damn people, too much hassle. Only when I lived in LA we went during the off season when it was cooler outside. It wasn't so bad then.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Merc[/url], that's what I meant......last Sunday we went down the river in our kayaks.....had perfect weather, and everyone had a fantastic time. only expense was swammiches and snacks.
I just don't get why people, myself included, continue to throw our money at these pits in an effort to please our kids. I gave it up. Go to the beach and be miserable. It will be some of the best memories of your childhood.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #26
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

We went to Williamsburg, VA last summer when my parents traded in their timeshare for a week there. And of course we made the pilgrimage to Busch Gardens. Overall it sounds like we had a better time (at least the kids liked the roller coasters, and nothing was really shut down). But it was expensive as hell, and the food was horrible. No way we're going back.

How hard is kayaking? Maybe we should go give it a shot on the Brandywine.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #27
jinx
Come on, cat.

It's not hard.
The Brandywine is fun! Northbrook does a good job of renting and transporting... expensive though. You should buy your own if you like it.
Attached Images

Last edited by jinx; 07-23-2009 at 09:24 PM.
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #28
Ibby
erika

tail-post:
not an amusement park fan but i rather enjoy busch gardens in va.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #29
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I LOVE roller coasters, but I HATE amusement parks.
I hate people, but I love gatherings.

Isn't it ironic...

Don'tcha think...

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

jinx...that is so pretty. Ya know, I could get a kayak, for pete's sake the river is right behind me, and where I am it's perfect for a kayak. I saw some peeps in a rowboat a couple days ago and they looked so peaceful.

One more thing I probably won't get done this year. Can I borrow someone's family so I have someone to do these things with?