The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-31-2003, 12:02 AM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I don't note that Brit comedians enjoy dressing in drag in any greater proportion than do American comics.

Milton Berle comes to mind...Tom Hanks' first TV series...Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis...Flip Wilson...Jerry Lewis at one time or another.

If I wasn't fighting off despondency and actually retained a sense of humor, I'm sure I could think of more.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:20 PM   #17
pjshimmer
Keeper of the Decorum

Quote:
He is adored over here in the UK, but the Americans don't seem to get him. Is that true?
Maybe the average American doesn't get him, but it really depends on your preference. My friends generally think he's hilarious. I'll watch anything with humor (with some limits).

Curious, have anyone been exposed to Hong Kong comedies (Stephen Chow, Wong Jing)? If I showed any of you our style of humor, you might think it's extremely tasteless. I love it though
pjshimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 02:55 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I find it hard to understand the popularity of Mr Bean.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:04 PM   #19
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I didn't get Benny Hill or Monty Python much as a kid, but now, I think it's great.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:28 AM   #20
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I didn't get Benny Hill or Monty Python much as a kid, but now, I think it's great.

Oh I loved Benny Hill as a kid (maybe it was because it was on late at night, and was a bit 'naughty'). I never saw Monty Python, but God did I hear about it a lot from friends of mine.

Anyone remember "The Young Ones" on MTV (when MTV was cool)? That was pretty funny, IMO.

I also like "Couplings" (I think that's the name of the show out of the UK...aka the new "Friends").

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #21
warch
lurkin old school

We recently ditched cable for satelite and now get BBC America-- Yeah! And I really like the show "Coupling", its very funny. I'm also horrified and amused by "The Office" it is hillarious with a smarmy mockumentary style.

A&E was running "Cold Feet" a year or so ago, that was a good show as well.

I remember "The Young Ones"- that show made me laugh. Vivian and the lads- they were so gross! Who was the long hair guy always making disgusting looking lentils? and someone always had a runny bottom.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #22
TooMuchCoffeeMan
Layperson

Warch:

The long-haired guy in The Young Ones was Niel. I can't remember the name of the other one you mentioned though.

Too bad that all of the Canadian networks that used to show The Young Ones took it off, that was a great show. Bottom was a good show as well, they always used to show it after The Young Ones on the weekends.